Let's Give Up on the Constitution

OK now how does that quote and your interpretation of it relate to the constitution and this subject we're discussing?
I need to spell out the relevant conversation that stems from a quote about societal dynamics and institutional philosophy that comes from an architect of our government?

It doesn't matter to me if you wrongly ascribe meaning which isn't there. To me, it is black and white because it is explicitly stated. There is no ambiguity and therefore no inference is needed.

His second paragraph you quoted is a furthering of the preceding paragraph...the paragraph where he references amending the constitution.
You want to change the constitution? I say go for it. Mechanisms for change are included in the governing document. You want to scrap it? Over lot's of people's dead bodies.

“Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the ark of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human”

Hey look, he had a section of that quote that describes you perfectly. TJ living rent free in your head from the grave, impressive.

“Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the ark of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human”

Hey look, he had a section of that quote that describes you perfectly. TJ living rent free in your head from the grave, impressive.
You're lashing out like a child denied their sugary treat.
Neither your tantrum nor your inability to understand plainly worded language give any credibility to the inaccurate position that Jefferson would favor scraping the founding document rather than amending it.

I have a few problems with Jefferson as POTUS and some of his revisionism after-the-fact. But to argue he is making a point which is simply not proven in the text you chose is preposterous.

You're lashing out like a child denied their sugary treat.
Neither your tantrum nor your inability to understand plainly worded language give any credibility to the inaccurate position that Jefferson would favor scraping the founding document rather than amending it.

I have a few problems with Jefferson as POTUS and some of his revisionism after-the-fact. But to argue he is making a point which is simply not proven in the text you chose is preposterous.

To speak hyperbolically about “scrapping” the constitution (which I’ve never mentioned) and acting like your interpretation of someone else’s words is indisputable fact may be the real tantrum.

I need to spell out the relevant conversation that stems from a quote about societal dynamics and institutional philosophy that comes from an architect of our government?

As it relates to this conversation yes. What do you think he meant? Do you think he was still talking about amendments or scrapping the entire constitution?

As it relates to this conversation yes. What do you think he meant? Do you think he was still talking about amendments or scrapping the entire constitution?
Neither, he was opining about how to create longevity for any established society.

Term limits on House and Senate, 12 years period between the two.

I'm not opposed to repealing the 17th

I'm opposed to term limits on House members because it limits my choice in representation.

To speak hyperbolically about “scrapping” the constitution (which I’ve never mentioned) and acting like your interpretation of someone else’s words is indisputable fact may be the real tantrum.
It seems to me you posted a lovely little quote in a thread about doing away with the constitution. A thread which was bumped by a reference to a fringe element who advocates same. And now, you're desperately attempting to move the goal posts.

I'm at peace either way. I am confident anyone reading the discussion and the exchanges we had will see the correctness of my position and the wrongness of yours (even if implied).

It seems to me you posted a lovely little quote in a thread about doing away with the constitution. A thread which was bumped by a reference to a fringe element who advocates same. And now, you're desperately attempting to move the goal posts.

I'm at peace either way. I am confident anyone reading the discussion and the exchanges we had will see the correctness of my position and the wrongness of yours (even if implied).

There are no goalposts. I couldn't care less about a thread title. Is it possible to have a conversation in here that isn’t dichotomous?

Reactions: McDad
There are no goalposts. I couldn't care less about a thread title. Is it possible to have a conversation in here that isn’t dichotomous?
Certainly. But only if neither party conversing is a dich.;)

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I was being sarcastic.

Do you think he was referring to scrapping the constitution at some point or just amending it as needed?

I think it’s an open-ended quote with a theme that is meant to provoke reflection.

I'm completely opposed to your opposition. You end up with douchebags like Schiff or career politicians like Pelosi without them.

I would rather have them then have my choices for direct representation in DC limited.

Now, I also want congress to be cut back to 90 days in session per year, cut salary accordingly, no per diem (build barracks and chow hall for them) and no pension or HC benefits once out of office.

I would rather have them then have my choices for direct representation in DC limited.

Now, I also want congress to be cut back to 90 days in session per year, cut salary accordingly, no per diem (build barracks and chow hall for them) and no pension or HC benefits once out of office.

I agree. We should not be limited in our choices as voters. If the person is a douchebag, vote 'em out. I disagree with term limits for President too

I agree. We should not be limited in our choices as voters. If the person is a douchebag, vote 'em out. I disagree with term limits for President too

I don't disagree with term limits for POTUS. You don't vote for POTUS.

I'm opposed to term limits on House members because it limits my choice in representation.
When "public service" becomes a short term gig vs a career, you will have more choices. 3 terms in the house, 2 in the senate (amend to 4 year terms), 2 as VP and 2 as president. If you can climb that political ladder more power to you. 99% won't make it.

VN Store

Back