Listening to OU radio all day while driving

Agreed. It looks like their QB is their biggest running threat. I would also expect them to run a lot of screens and swing passes to test our LB's ability to cover in space.

Running QB = Vol cryptonite

Tbh, I dont know how much they will run Arnold, yes he is their run threat, but the way our guys have been laying the lumber is it worth the risk long term?
Isn't he their leading rusher?

Just remember at Florida last year. We were thought to win that game and were a favorite. I hope they learned a lesson from it. Go Vols!!!
One good thing, we aren't going into this game without our starting center and starting middle linebacker. I truly believe those two injuries played a huge role in the first half of that game. Second half looked a lot better.

Isn't he their leading rusher?
He is, which isnt a good sign if i am OU. Tennessee's linebackers and Nickel can absolutely run side line to side line. We havent had this type of speed the past few years. Arion Carter is scary as H*** coming at you full speed. I dont know what WR caught the wrong side of that blistering tackle during the NCST Game but goodness it looked like it hurt. I like Jackson Arnold, i think he is talented. But no way does he last a full game taking the hits TN will put on him.

Spent 8.5 hours in the car driving from New Orleans to South Carolina today - listened to sports animal and the OU station out of Norman all day - those folks are very concerned that UT is going to smack them around …. Radio host on one show made several comments that this was the biggest game and weekend there since the year 2000 when Stoops (and Heupel) beatdown Texas Tech, that he can’t remember a bigger game in 25 years. Other sentiment was they mostly feel they will need to score 30 to win….
And that this will be very difficult to do…
I don't think 30 is going to get it done....it won't matter though. They won't be getting 30.

Coming into this season, I thought we’d go 10-2 with losses at Oklahoma and Georgia. After the torrid start to the season, I fell better about our chances in this game, but I also feel it will be much closer that many people think. Playing in Norman is no joke, and Venables will have their defense locked in on their game plan to slow our offense. We need our defense to step up big in what will be a hostile environment. If I were a betting man, I’d take the under in this game.

Reactions: memtownvol
I'm not surprised they are nervous about this game. We would be too if home games against Houston and Tulane were competitive in the fourth quarter. That Houston game in particular...they only had one true TD drive that entire game (the first TD was a gift after a muffed punt on their first possession of the game).

I expect this game to be close for some period of time, at least the first quarter and maybe at halftime. OU has some talented defensive players (Stutsman and Bowman in particular) and I think they are more than capable of confusing Nico into a mistake. Venables is a great defensive mind and will have stuff cooked up. The environment should be raucous. However our offense is really balanced and their O-line is suspect; that is probably the difference in the game.

Last edited:
Yeah 51 goes all the way to Rockford from Cairo. Go thru a bunch of small towns. It doesn't go south from Illinois I don't think. In Paducah you either go on 24 towards Nashville or West toward Memphis. I think.
Yea I think it goes to Mississippi. My dad used to live in Paducah so I have taken 51 from Memphis to Paducah a million times lol

Yes - I typically stop one time to pee and for gas (and I’m on fumes when I do) in the middle of LA …. Lower Alabama.
Ok just asking because I typically do the same. Stop for gas and the restroom in Jasper which is just about the halfway point from Warner Robins, GA to Memphis

I think your take is spot on. Every DC so far has sold out to stop the deep ball which allowed our running game to tee off. I think Venables is savvy enough to understand that our running game is what really makes our offense click. I expect Venables to try to scheme to stop the run and harass Nico as he hasn't really been tested yet. I think that strategy will fail, but it's probably their best shot.
Nico just might go off on the road because of 2 reasons: (1) he’s very good and (2) he’s cool and calm. He also said he loves playing in a road environment that’s hostile.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
It’s really not as far as it sounds. People always laugh at me and I just tell ‘em type in Greenville SC to the Superdome on Waze leaving at 4:00 am and their jaw drops when 7 hrs 52 mins pops up.
I was being sarcastic about electric cars... you'd spend 4 hrs at a charging station on the trip of eight hours.

I’m not really concerned about our defense’s ability to contain their offense. I would be shocked if they score 24 or more. I think it will come down to our run game and to what extent their defense and rowdy environment disrupts Nico and/or forces turnovers.
Yeah, Nico has had his freshman moments, and this is his first game in a really loud home stadium

Spent 8.5 hours in the car driving from New Orleans to South Carolina today - listened to sports animal and the OU station out of Norman all day - those folks are very concerned that UT is going to smack them around …. Radio host on one show made several comments that this was the biggest game and weekend there since the year 2000 when Stoops (and Heupel) beatdown Texas Tech, that he can’t remember a bigger game in 25 years. Other sentiment was they mostly feel they will need to score 30 to win….
And that this will be very difficult to do…
I'm locked in at -7.5 to win. If we get off to a slow start and that line comes lower I'm gonna bet more. No way they hang with us for 4Q

Reactions: hjeagle1vol
It’s a big game for them because their remaining schedule is absolutely brutal, probably the hardest in the country. If they lose Saturday it could start them into a downward spiral where 7-5 might be the best case scenario

I hope that teams will start looking at TN as a likely loss and maybe they’ll focus their hopes on beating other tough opponents. That’s when TN will officially be back.

Interesting. The clock was a problem at the end of the game against Georgia this past weekend. Officials reset the clock to 10 seconds, put it back to 9 seconds after further discussion. A play later they added a second to make it 3. Then the next play the clock didn’t run on a spike, so they reset it to 2 seconds. Maybe Kroger Field has some electrical problems?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Throw stats and trends out the window, this is going to be a shootout!

I doubt it. Okie thrives on defense. This Tennessee team plays Defense. Okie hasn't been prolific at scoring. Tennessee has . It all comes down to can Nico & the Offense weather the Storm that playing on the road vs a big time program (loud as hell crowd) presents? That Okie D will be jacked. Don't be surprised if Tennessee goes 3 & out a couple times in the first quarter. This is a 30-23 type game. Go Vols.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I predict a dogfight. Nico is going to have a tough game. He is literally the key to them winning. If they can panic him or get him flustered, they will win. Our secondary, despite the clear improvement this year, is going to have a tough game. They are considered our weakest point on defense so they will be tested early and often.
Turnovers will likely determine who wins.

I doubt it. Okie thrives on defense. This Tennessee team plays Defense. Okie hasn't been prolific at scoring. Tennessee has . It all comes down to can Nico & the Offense weather the Storm that playing on the road vs a big time program (loud as hell crowd) presents? That Okie D will be jacked. Don't be surprised if Tennessee goes 3 & out a couple times in the first quarter. This is a 30-23 type game. Go Vols.
You think the Sooner D will try slow the run game and make Nico beat them?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It’s really not as far as it sounds. People always laugh at me and I just tell ‘em type in Greenville SC to the Superdome on Waze leaving at 4:00 am and their jaw drops when 7 hrs 52 mins pops up.
I drive from Chattanooga to Greenville 8-10 times a year. Driving from 20 miles outside of 285 then out 80 to Greenville is my most despised section of interstate I’ve traveled just edging out 81 through Virginia. 90% of the time I drive the 2 lane roads through the mountains (Copperhill, Murphy, Hiawassee, etc). My sympathies to you for having to drive that route so frequently, but we do what we have to do to pay the bills.

I predict a dogfight. Nico is going to have a tough game. He is literally the key to them winning. If they can panic him or get him flustered, they will win. Our secondary, despite the clear improvement this year, is going to have a tough game. They are considered our weakest point on defense so they will be tested early and often.
Turnovers will likely determine who wins.
Clemson didn’t rattle Nico in his first ever start, doubt OK will. He’ll make some mistakes as does most every QB, just have to hope his mistakes aren’t too costly. I expect for Nico to increase his frequency of runs like he did against Clemson. JMO

VN Store

Back