Look... we needed Gruden

Gee, I'm glad that you started a new thread to make sure that your post was read......... well almost.

I'm not sure how many of you got through to the end of it before deciding to move on the the next topic.

really?!?!?!?

Reactions: 1 person
Volnation, I really like Butch Jones. Dooley turned me off almost as soon as he arrived on campus. While the majority of you were praising "Showergate," and "Looking for Rommel" and "pick up the phone and call me" I was telling you that Dooley was auditioning for a TV gig as our head coach. And I didn't like it. And that's exactly what he did.

Butch was always behind the 8-ball. He actually walked into a worse situation than Dooley (which is saying something in a big way). He almost created his next problem. He did what he had to do - he went after elite talent. Problem is, he didn't land the elite talent. I've said for awhile this 2013 class would define his tenure. He swung for the fences (which makes me like him), but he didn't connect. Strike.

Daj is absolutely right - it starts with talent. That's why we needed Gruden so bad, and the CryptKeeper and Booger dropped the ball. I said at the time Hart still had the power to screw the pooch. He did. Ego. BMOC. Hart couldn't handle Gruden being Big Man on Campus. And it will haunt us for a decade.

CBJ still has a chance. He has to lean on our offensive line. He has to restore confidence to the defense. He has to go +2 in the talent column, and that is his record. I fear though he was +2 in the Big East, but the SEC is the best of best. Second tier these days is Steve Spurrier. Let that sink in. Even Muschamp is proving he is worthy of the league. Franklin has the nation talking about Vandy --- VANDY!

Folks, we needed Gruden. It wasn't a pipe dream, but we had to roll out the red carpet, absolutely. The CryptKeeper failed. We've got to hope Coach Butch Jones is +2. I want him to be +2. He's still got a chance, but he's got to take some big scalps 2013.

Jesus, the stupid on this board makes me ashamed to be a Vols fan sometimes.

Reactions: 6 people
The best advise I ever received was from my father and it's relevant here:

Life can be a real downer when you only dwell on what didn't happen...

Reactions: 2 people
The best advise I ever received was from my father and it's relevant here:

Life can be a real downer when you only dwell on what didn't happen...

Or living through the worst run in Tennessee football history. We unfortunately have to dwell on that.

I do really like CBJ. He knew what he had to do, and he tried. He just didn't get it done in the first time of asking. I hope he puts himself (and us) in position to get a few more go's.

Meanwhile, today, the nation is talking about Vandy being ranked and Katherine Webb in Sport's Illustrated.

With Gruden, the nation would still be talking about M'F'ing TENNESSEE. Hart didn't get it done.

Reactions: 6 people
The best advise I ever received was from my father.............

My father told me that it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people THINK that you are STUPID, than it is to open it and remove all doubt.

It's amazing how so many people are able to know for certain what would happen had we gotten a .500 NFL coach. It's absolutely amazing.

I'm going to take a note from OUR COACH on this one. Rather than talk about the guys that didn't want to be Vols (Vonn Bell, Jon Gruden), I want to talk about the guys that DO want to be Vols (Butch Jones and his entire 2013 class).

How can you even begin to say we didn't land elite talent? Is the 2nd best receiver in the country not elite? How many people are calling Dobbs an enormous diamond in the rough? How many schools thought the 3-star Johnny Manziel elite?

Stop living life through the rearview mirror. Get behind your coach and stop making completely unverifiable claims like we would've landed "elite" talent had we hired a MNF analyst who is on a 5-year coaching hiatus.

Reactions: 11 people
Volnation, I really like Butch Jones. Dooley turned me off almost as soon as he arrived on campus. While the majority of you were praising "Showergate," and "Looking for Rommel" and "pick up the phone and call me" I was telling you that Dooley was auditioning for a TV gig as our head coach. And I didn't like it. And that's exactly what he did.

Butch was always behind the 8-ball. He actually walked into a worse situation than Dooley (which is saying something in a big way). He almost created his next problem. He did what he had to do - he went after elite talent. Problem is, he didn't land the elite talent. I've said for awhile this 2013 class would define his tenure. He swung for the fences (which makes me like him), but he didn't connect. Strike.

Daj is absolutely right - it starts with talent. That's why we needed Gruden so bad, and the CryptKeeper and Booger dropped the ball. I said at the time Hart still had the power to screw the pooch. He did. Ego. BMOC. Hart couldn't handle Gruden being Big Man on Campus. And it will haunt us for a decade.

CBJ still has a chance. He has to lean on our offensive line. He has to restore confidence to the defense. He has to go +2 in the talent column, and that is his record. I fear though he was +2 in the Big East, but the SEC is the best of best. Second tier these days is Steve Spurrier. Let that sink in. Even Muschamp is proving he is worthy of the league. Franklin has the nation talking about Vandy --- VANDY!

Folks, we needed Gruden. It wasn't a pipe dream, but we had to roll out the red carpet, absolutely. The CryptKeeper failed. We've got to hope Coach Butch Jones is +2. I want him to be +2. He's still got a chance, but he's got to take some big scalps 2013.

I agree with this. I am hoping in Butch, but I think we needed to do whatever it took to get that splash hire. Those in power at UT failed miserably once again.

As for Butch, I like his demeanor and can do attitude thus far and I hope he can coach up what we have to an upset or two this fall. However, despite the short time frame, he needed a bit better result in this recruiting class. Next year, he has no excuses in recruiting. Our class needs to be Top 10 at a minimum and really needs to be a Top 5. It also needs to fully meet our needs for stud DL and OL because that's how winning is done in the SEC.

Or living through the worst run in Tennessee football history. We unfortunately have to dwell on that.

I do really like CBJ. He knew what he had to do, and he tried. He just didn't get it done in the first time of asking. I hope he puts himself (and us) in position to get a few more go's.

Meanwhile, today, the nation is talking about Vandy being ranked and Katherine Webb in Sport's Illustrated.

With Gruden, the nation would still be talking about M'F'ing TENNESSEE. Hart didn't get it done.

Welcome to sanity, unlike most on here.

Reactions: 5 people

OH MAN! Until I read this I really thought this entire thread was a joke just to get everybody geeked up. This is beyond ridiculous. It's not even funny. This really makes me sad. I feel bad for you, man.

My father told me that it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people THINK that you are STUPID, than it is to open it and remove all doubt.

It's a real shame you obviously didn't listen to him and take his advice !

fyi, clown that posted above me created a thread about Stokes being a bust a few weeks back. That's the brilliance of the classic ff forum poster shining through

Please not another Gruden thread! Get over it ... Gruden is not our coach. Your analysis of Jones is your opinion and that is fine. +2 OK. I am in the camp of let the guy prove himself one way or another and stop with the Gruden crap. Point is Gruden did not want to be our coach for his own reasons and we have CBJ. Get behind the man and give him a chance!!! Gruden is not a savior for heavens sake,

OH MAN! Until I read this I really thought this entire thread was a joke just to get everybody geeked up. This is beyond ridiculous. It's not even funny. This really makes me sad. I feel bad for you, man.

You're supposed to say "Bless your heart" after that.

maybe the grudenites will have a reunion here. But not many will show. They vanished like a plague of bs hit them. Some into oblivion. Some seeking refuge with others exiled by stupidity to another place that we don't speak of.

Reactions: 4 people
Please not another Gruden thread! Get over it ... Gruden is not our coach. Your analysis of Jones is your opinion and that is fine. +2 OK. I am in the camp of let the guy prove himself one way or another and stop with the Gruden crap. Point is Gruden did not want to be our coach for his own reasons and we have CBJ. Get behind the man and give him a chance!!! Gruden is not a savior for heavens sake,

The problem is, there is a lot of noise suggesting he did not want to be our coach for HART reasons.

No one knows the truth yet. Just like Captain Hygeine had to leave before we found out the full suckitude of his post-KY tenure.

VN Store

Back