‘23 LSU transfer OT Zalance Heard (Tennessee)

The flipside to that is most of our guys are in their final year of eligibility. I'm sure they all believe or dream about the NFL. This is the year to put your best foot forward. If they pull out and move after spring, they'd be learning a new system and trying to develop timing and chemistry with their new mates. No small task without spring ball to help. That might damage their prospects. Seems to me that they'd be better off swallowing their pride and trying to put their best season to date on tape for the NFL scouts. I'm pretty sure that's the reason this just closed portal window is the busiest of the 2. Just makes the transition so much easier when you get the spring plus and entire summer then fall camp before you hit the Saturday wars. Just my 2 cents.
May departures won't be any more damaging than the current cycle to the players. All part of the brave new NIL/portal world. We will be just as prone for losses as anybody if we create perceived inequities. Good news is, we might could get more proven guys stuck behind established starters elsewhere. But turnover as always has it's risk. If we put out a big welcome mat post spring, with THEN known abilities in the room, then we can deal with the MAY turnover and be considered upgrades I would guess. Quality guys could get ready pretty quick over the entire summer with our SR guys guidance IF IF IF the need is indicated. I would prefer that some of our young bucks step up and avoid those moves.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Dude shut up

And Heup is unable to stand the portal pressure and has a stroke, Belichick and Gruden co-coach the team for '24.
Sheesh, I was just throwing out a scenario there. Didn't think it would set you guys off so bad.

If you think Campbell is all good and a durable tackle then so be it. I hope Heard commits and he and Campbell form a great duo. But, after seeing Campbell transfer once, it's not impossible he wouldn't again.

Reactions: DD4ME
That is the reason you do not overbid. You can not keep matching a moving target. If we do not get him I do not blame the coaches or the NIL. If the kid does not want to be here then that is his choice. We must not have the program that is attractive to him.

If I were a player and you made a sweeter deal to another player then I would certainly be looking around.
Without contracts you have to act like a GM managing to a team/position budget.

Escalating offers only works in pro-sports because they have CONTRACTS. Without that you have the constant transfer portal merry go round of college football we now have.

Yep, if we overpay this or any OL NOW we could LOSE multiple guys already here in May if they feel their RELATIVE worth is more than the new baseline for a top dog. Have to consider the total cost for each offer. You have to calculate a max value and live with it. Move on if necessary. Hope he takes our current offer, if not, then move on. Gotta believe there will be multiple new portal opportunities in May and closing a deal after last entry date is a better play, for calculated max or MORE if post spring practice STILL calls for stupid spending on one. May have some unhappy campers but no emotional recourse available and would have time to address an affordable balance solution for priorities before fall camp closes and all remaining would need playing time to create value for next portal cycle. Some developmental guys will ride it out regardless, but we need a good room not one diva and a salvaged line.
Yes, and I don’t think many folks realize that the Vols have lost fewer guys to the portal (11) than all of our neighboring competitors. The avg losses to the portal among UGA, Bama, UF, UK, USCe is closer to 20 guys per team.

I think part of Heupel’s strategy is to love ‘em & treat ‘em well once they’re here, to reduce the # of guys hitting the portal. He wants to max. team unity & minimize player jealousy. He realizes portal adds are a must to help depth, and upgrade talent at a few positions like OT. But, he’s not going to go overboard on a shiny new toy, and leave 81 or 82 of his other guys muttering.

I applaud him for keeping all his guys in mind. If Deion or Kiffin win the next 3 national championships, I’d think Heupel will change his plan of attack.

This feels like a cope from Ole Miss. He played 12 games as a freshmen and is far more talented than a guy like Pounds.
To be fair, on3 has Diego Pounds as the #13 overall player and #2 OT in the portal. They have Heard and #16 and #3 OT. Industry rankings. Think they have Pounds as the #1 OT with just their rankings.

To be fair, on3 has Diego Pounds as the #13 overall player and #2 OT in the portal. They have Heard and #16 and #3 OT.

Portal rankings are pretty bizarre. There isn't a whole lot of method to their madness. Also, I am not sure how often they update the rankings and shuffle guys around.

Case in point, Dante Moore is the number 1 overall portal QB despite some rather mediocre stats as a true freshman QB. And he's ranked over Dillon Gabriel, who is also transferring to Oregon and quite clearly is set to be their QB1 over Moore. Moore is also ranked over Riley Leonard and Will Howard.

Meanwhile Tua's brother is currently in the portal, even though I think he is out of eligibility. But if he is granted a 6th yr of eligibility, he's just about the best QB in the portal. He holds the record for most passing yards in BIG 10 history and highest completion %.

That is the reason you do not overbid. You can not keep matching a moving target. If we do not get him I do not blame the coaches or the NIL. If the kid does not want to be here then that is his choice. We must not have the program that is attractive to him.

If I were a player and you made a sweeter deal to another player then I would certainly be looking around.
Judkins.

Portal rankings are pretty bizarre. There isn't a whole lot of method to their madness. Also, I am not sure how often they update the rankings and shuffle guys around.

Case in point, Dante Moore is the number 1 overall portal QB, despite some rather mediocre stats as a true freshman QB. And he's ranked over Dillon Gabriel, who is also transferring to Oregon and quite clearly is set to be their QB1 over Moore. Moore is also ranked over Riley Leonard and Will Howard.

Meanwhile Tua's brother is currently in the portal, even though I think he is out of eligibility. But if he is granted a 6th yr of eligibility, he's easily (and I mean EASILY) the best QB in the portal. He holds the record for most passing yards in BIG 10 history and highest completion %.
He’s not easily the best QB in the portal. If he were as good as you’re making him out to be then he’d be off to the NFL.

Reactions: Devo182
He’s not easily the best QB in the portal. If he were as good as you’re making him out to be then he’d be off to the NFL.

I went back and edited it. Didn't realize how well Gabriel had been at OU.

As far as the NFL, he has size and arm strength issues that he will prevent him from being an early round pick. Probably more of a mid to late rounder. But those issues are easy to overcome in college.

Case in point, Dante Moore is the number 1 overall portal QB despite some rather mediocre stats as a true freshman QB. And he's ranked over Dillon Gabriel, who is also transferring to Oregon and quite clearly is set to be their QB1 over Moore. Moore is also ranked over Riley Leonard and Will Howard.

Meanwhile Tua's brother is currently in the portal, even though I think he is out of eligibility. But if he is granted a 6th yr of eligibility, he's just about the best QB in the portal. He holds the record for most passing yards in BIG 10 history and highest completion %.
Either way Pounds is not a bum. Very good player who I would take. Probably was either or for them. Doubt it was realistic for them to land both even if they wanted both.

Reactions: DD4ME

VN Store

Back