‘23 LSU transfer OT Zalance Heard (Tennessee)

He's just going to keep taking offers back and forth until either TN or OU tells him to kick rocks. Considering that we are primed to make a run and they just lost their OC... we have more to lose.
That’s what I would do. Every player is one injury away from retiring from the game. Make that $.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I have no insight at all, but just feel like something is about to pop off any moment.

Mary Poppins Wind Windy GIF - Mary Poppins Wind Windy Fly - Discover &  Share GIFs

Thorton was a massive disappointment. Squirrel is good but really small. Bru doesnt have top end speed. But im talking about the WR room as a whole. You guys keep bringing up the starters but forget the MASSIVE drop off when they get hurt. You can blame “development” all you want. These WRs have struggled getting off man to man. They have ran the wrong routes multiple times throughout the season. They have dropped more balls than i would like to count. Most of VN is excited about our WR room this coming season. I just dont see what all the excitement is about. That is all. Dont try to insult what little intelligence i have by saying im trying to be a redneck.
Bru is still all SEC caliber without top end speed. Squirrel had a good year with an average QB and is about to have a top echelon QB. It was apparent to me that Thornton was coming on when he got injured, and at worst he’s a Javonte Payton level guy (who was good for 6 touchdowns in his one year here). Brazell was a great addition, he’ll play on Sundays. Nimrod continues to improve, and he might be our 6th receiver. Mike Matthews was a huge get and the most talented player in this year’s signing class.

It’s pretty easy to see why people are anticipating greatness with that list and with Nico throwing the ball instead of Milton.

Sorry about the redneck comment. But if you look at the rosters of other schools in the SEC, it’s hard to pick us lower than 3rd or 4th in terms of WR room, and it’s not far fetched to argue that we’re 1st or 2nd.

LSU offensive tackle Lance Heard, a former five-star prospect from Monroe, La., remains Tennessee's primary focus in the transfer portal. As I've mentioned since he wrapped up his official visit to Oklahoma on Sunday, there has been some cautious optimism on the Vols' end all along, and I think there's reason to believe things are moving in the right direction for Tennessee. But it's not clear at this point how long Heard might wait to announce a decision — or even what he might be waiting on — so there's still some uncertainty because of that.

Sources on the Oklahoma end of things have indicated that the Sooners still feel reasonably good about their chances, too, and you can't rule out anything these days, especially with players in the transfer portal. Our Oklahoma site has also reported that it's not completely out of the question Heard could take a visit to Ole Miss this weekend, and while I personally haven't heard that as much recently, it's been mentioned enough that I suppose anything is possible. For what it's worth, though, our Ole Miss site posted an update Tuesday that suggested the Rebels weren't likely to be one of the main contenders for him going forward.

So, for now, the wait continues. If it drags out more than another day or so, there might be some reason to worry, with the dead period ending Thursday night. Again, we don't have much of a reason to think right now that Heard is waiting to take another visit this weekend, but it's always possible someone could ultimately convince him to take another trip. But if Heard makes a decision within the next day or two, Tennessee should probably be viewed as the favorite at this point, in my opinion.

Mississippi State OT transfer Percy Lewis is still scheduled to visit the Vols this weekend, and if they were to miss out on Heard, I think they would pretty quickly shift their focus to Lewis. He visited Arkansas and Auburn last week, and right now Auburn might be Tennessee's main competition for Lewis. But Heard remains the focus for now, and everything is sort of in a holding pattern at this point as the Vols await either a decision or some sort of word on what might be next.

Callahan

He's just going to keep taking offers back and forth until either TN or OU tells him to kick rocks. Considering that we are primed to make a run and they just lost their OC... we have more to lose.
Yep, if we overpay this or any OL NOW we could LOSE multiple guys already here in May if they feel their RELATIVE worth is more than the new baseline for a top dog. Have to consider the total cost for each offer. You have to calculate a max value and live with it. Move on if necessary. Hope he takes our current offer, if not, then move on. Gotta believe there will be multiple new portal opportunities in May and closing a deal after last entry date is a better play, for calculated max or MORE if post spring practice STILL calls for stupid spending on one. May have some unhappy campers but no emotional recourse available and would have time to address an affordable balance solution for priorities before fall camp closes and all remaining would need playing time to create value for next portal cycle. Some developmental guys will ride it out regardless, but we need a good room not one diva and a salvaged line.

Aside from Heard, who else are we waiting on/looking at? I’m trying to be optimistic, but I’ve seen this show one too many times.
Lewis from Miss St planning to visit this weekend. If Heard does what we all hope and finalizes this deal today or tomorrow Lewis may not end up coming in and will likely pop for Auburn or Arkansas.

But at least we have a real back up option available.

Lewis from Miss St planning to visit this weekend. If Heard does what we all hope and finalizes this deal today or tomorrow Lewis may not end up coming in and will likely pop for Auburn or Arkansas.

But at least we have a real back up option available.
Or Heard is gone to OU so they're moving on Lewis?

Yep, if we overpay this or any OL NOW we could LOSE multiple guys already here in May if they feel their RELATIVE worth is more than the new baseline for a top dog. Have to consider the total cost for each offer. You have to calculate a max value and live with it. Move on if necessary. Hope he takes our current offer, if not, then move on. Gotta believe there will be multiple new portal opportunities in May and closing a deal after last entry date is a better play, for calculated max or MORE if post spring practice STILL calls for stupid spending on one. May have some unhappy campers but no emotional recourse available and would have time to address an affordable balance solution for priorities before fall camp closes and all remaining would need playing time to create value for next portal cycle. Some developmental guys will ride it out regardless, but we need a good room not one diva and a salvaged line.
That is the reason you do not overbid. You can not keep matching a moving target. If we do not get him I do not blame the coaches or the NIL. If the kid does not want to be here then that is his choice. We must not have the program that is attractive to him.

If I were a player and you made a sweeter deal to another player then I would certainly be looking around.

Reactions: OrangenSC
The flipside to that is most of our guys are in their final year of eligibility. I'm sure they all believe or dream about the NFL. This is the year to put your best foot forward. If they pull out and move after spring, they'd be learning a new system and trying to develop timing and chemistry with their new mates. No small task without spring ball to help. That might damage their prospects. Seems to me that they'd be better off swallowing their pride and trying to put their best season to date on tape for the NFL scouts. I'm pretty sure that's the reason this just closed portal window is the busiest of the 2. Just makes the transition so much easier when you get the spring plus and entire summer then fall camp before you hit the Saturday wars. Just my 2 cents.

Easy Lewis was already a potential
No doubt. I'd certainly take both if I could land them. Let the positions work themselves out. Injuries to key UT players is as predictable as the sun rising. Don't think you can ever have too many big men....on both sides of the ball.

Or Heard commits wants to play left tackle, Campbell is upset and plans to leave, and Lewis is the player at right tackle. Campbell hasn't proven to be the durable player.

Or Heard commits wants to play left tackle, Campbell is upset and plans to leave, and Lewis is the player at right tackle. Campbell hasn't proven to be the durable player.
And Heup is unable to stand the portal pressure and has a stroke, Belichick and Gruden co-coach the team for '24.

VN Store

Back