McCuller's Impact vs Oregon

white65

Before this season I assumed he could play against oregon b/c of thier tempo, but he is now down to a slimming 350 (Not positive but I think thats it) and in great shape. I think he could be the key to keeping them out of the middle which would make it alot easier on our D to get some stops.

If we controll the LOS and make them run outside all day and throw, then we have a chance.

:On a side note Im a betting man and even though I choose to never bet for or against my vols. I see several good speards this week. The 2 Im thinking of putting big money on are Kensucky vs UL Im think UL at -13 all day. And Miami(OH) at Ohio -7. Kentucky been Miami 41-7 nough said.

my prediction a good game but a loss 31-21 oregon

Mculler's gonna knock them out!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5O9YAx6xM[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
I just hope that with Oregon's pace of play, Big Dan don't get stuck out there. It seems he can't play more than 2 or 3 snaps in a row. And it takes several seconds to get 6'8 350 off the field. lol

McCullers has been underwhelming thus far. He really needs to step it up.

This has been my thought as well. It's not so much that he sucks or anything; far from it. But I really don't feel that he's played (thus far) to his talent and ability level. The guy has been blessed with size but doesn't quite play like it.

Reactions: 6 people
I just hope that with Oregon's pace of play, Big Dan don't get stuck out there. It seems he can't play more than 2 or 3 snaps in a row. And it takes several seconds to get 6'8 350 off the field. lol

I foresee a few "cramps" and "injuries" for big D this weekend...

McCullers has been disruptive and gotten a significant push into the backfield many times this year. That, and because we don't know what the coaches are asking him to do, leaves me wondering why he's getting this criticism.

I'll allow that he doesn't seem to have the mean streak that John Henderson or Haynesworth had, but he's far from ineffective.

Reactions: 12 people
Big Dans time to shine will not be this weekend. He will come into play in the next 4 games. Too big to play against these fast pace pass happy offenses. (Or to chase Mariotta around.)

Reactions: 1 person
I foresee a few "cramps" and "injuries" for big D this weekend...

Quite possible.

He seems to be getting a bigger push against teams offensive line than last year, but still can't seem to get off blocks. To his credit he usually is trying to fight off 2 blockers, but 6'8 350 needs to be getting to the qb occasionally. IMO

In the press conference, Butch said McCullers is maturing, but not really doing what he needs to do in practice. He said Dan needs to realize the connection between practice and games. (paraphrasing)

This has been my thought as well. It's not so much that he sucks or anything; far from it. But I really don't feel that he's played (thus far) to his talent and ability level. The guy has been blessed with size but doesn't quite play like it.

Space eater, from hash to hash

hey Dan !!! Oregon QB and running backs are saying you can't tackle them. Use it as your tackling fuel !!!!! Go get em

McCullers has been underwhelming thus far. He really needs to step it up.

Are you and those who hit like on crack? He's been an incredible impact on the line both games when he's been playing. He's been enough of an influence to get double teamed most plays......remember just because he doesn't get a sack or the tackle doesn't mean he didn't effect the game when you see him barreling down 2 guys that frees up someone else to get in and penetrate the play..... Forgive me, but maybe your just watching TV, at the game I been watching the defense and particularly DaMac.....and let me tell you he has been a FORCE on the field.....THE QB's are focusing on him, and he's usually got at least two guys just trying to stop him. EVERYONE on the offense knows who he is, and he is their prime concern nearly every play.......

Reactions: 10 people
Don't think he is lazy. Mostly just think he is used to bowling people over using his size, and while he takes up double teams and plugs the middle his technique looks raw.

I'm not sure about McCullers but I was very happy with the way our d-line as a unit played against Western Kentucky. If we can translate that performance to this oregon game, we will be in good shape.

There QB has been somewhat disappointing in the passing game thus far and is very dependent on the scramble. If we can force him to make plays through the air and generate pressure, we may be able to force some turnovers.

McCullers has been disruptive and gotten a significant push into the backfield many times this year. That, and because we don't know what the coaches are asking him to do, leaves me wondering why he's getting this criticism.

I'll allow that he doesn't seem to have the mean streak that John Henderson or Haynesworth had, but he's far from ineffective.

Agreed. Folks need to remember that the contribution of a guy like McCullers won't show up in sacks or tackles for him personally. He should be causing disruptions allowing his teammates to make plays. With that being said, I wouldn't mind if he took that to another level.

Reactions: 2 people
McCullers has had more of an impact than he's been given credit for in the first two games. Obviously he can play better, though. But he's going to get worn down in a hurry on Saturday. He's not built to play more than a few plays in a row.

A disruptive DT who can penetrate into the backfield is the best way to slow oregon down - this is what Fairley did in the NT game for Auburn against Oregon

I am not sure big Dan will be that guy but Hood holding the line of scrimmage and not getting penetration isnt enough against Oregon - most likely candidates are big dan and couch and I think both will have to get into the backfield at will for us to win

our LB's just can't play with Oregon in space

Don't think he is lazy. Mostly just think he is used to bowling people over using his size, and while he takes up double teams and plugs the middle his technique looks raw.

I don't care who you got. If you have the biggest baddest dude on the field...if the other team puts two decent large guys on him that is going to take him out of the equation usually. But to do that they have to sacrifice blocking some where else, and now you have 3 meaty bodies blocking the line where ever he is. That's his job, and if he can bust through some that would be great, but the real question is when they are double teaming him how often is a defensive end taking advantage of that? I also have a suspicion, that they possibilities on how DaMac can be used and taken advantage of fully defensively isn't something you have fully seen yet, because they haven't had too.....I full expect to see some other defensive players put into position to take advantage this Saturday.

Every down I see him play I see lineman scrambling to slow him down, and those with the ball whether the QB, or the back, looking to go somewhere far away.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back