McCuller's Impact vs Oregon

Agreed. Folks need to remember that the contribution of a guy like McCullers won't show up in sacks or tackles for him personally. He should be causing disruptions allowing his teammates to make plays. With that being said, I wouldn't mind if he took that to another level.

People are expecting him to be more like a Henderson. He isn't. Not many are, though.

Reactions: 1 person
He lollygags all over the place. I know he's big, I know he eats up 2 OLinemen on SOME plays, but if you think he's playing anything up to a "good big man" level, you're crazy.

Reactions: 5 people
Are you and those who hit like on crack? He's been an incredible impact on the line both games when he's been playing. He's been enough of an influence to get double teamed most plays......remember just because he doesn't get a sack or the tackle doesn't mean he didn't effect the game when you see him barreling down 2 guys that frees up someone else to get in and penetrate the play..... Forgive me, but maybe your just watching TV, at the game I been watching the defense and particularly DaMac.....and let me tell you he has been a FORCE on the field.....THE QB's are focusing on him, and he's usually got at least two guys just trying to stop him. EVERYONE on the offense knows who he is, and he is their prime concern nearly every play.......

Yeah.. Right..

Who are "these people being free'd up"? We've played 2 garbage teams and how many sacks has big Dan or the man beside him got?

You can fool yourself, but you ain't fooling me.

This. I watched him get stood straight up and pushed back several times by a single O-lineman from WKU! He's flat out over rated. He's got potential, but, Potential don't mean **** without heart and will!

We'll see..

^^This guy can see better with one eye than most of y'all can with 2. It isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
McCullers has been disruptive and gotten a significant push into the backfield many times this year. That, and because we don't know what the coaches are asking him to do, leaves me wondering why he's getting this criticism.

I'll allow that he doesn't seem to have the mean streak that John Henderson or Haynesworth had, but he's far from ineffective.

A little sanity....thank you!

I will say this, people sometimes forget how Henderson sometimes got so excited to make the big play he got drawn out of position....I LOVE Henderson...but there was a time at UT when his discipline on plays was in question.... With that said, would love to see some Henderson insanity from him now and then just to put a lil more fear on the opposing team....or better yet a little more of Doug Atkins winning personality on the field.

Still right now I love what I am seeing from him, and I chalk up this criticism on him to be as true as a held sign saying i don't know what the f*** i am talking about. He's not a linebacker, he's not supposed to be blitzing the corner, his job is to push the line back, create chaos, and make them double cover him, and by golly that is EXACTLY what he has been doing, and impressively so, and with discipline..

Yeah.. Right..

Who are "these people being free'd up"? We've played 2 garbage teams and how many sacks has big Dan or the man beside him got?

You just judged a DL based on sacks....2+2 might could fool you.

Reminds me of Big John Henderson early on. Big John's first move was to stand up and then start his push. I see some of that happening with Dan now.
It actually wasn't until after Nebraska schooled him in the bowl game when he finally understood how badly that lack of sound technique was hurting him. The next year he was a beast ( along with Haynesworth).
My point is that superior talent ( strength and size) will serve well enough up to a point, but an OL with talent and sound technique will expose that.
In his defense, he is getting double and triple teamed. That can wear on you and the more tired you are the more likely you are to stand up.

^^This guy can see better with one eye than most of y'all can with 2. It isn't rocket science. Big Dan needs to start acting like Big Dan and not Dan Aykroyd.

A Year ago I would have agreed.....not from anything this season though. I have seen him charging in and having his way most plays.....and best of all I haven't seen him slowing up. granted he hasn't had to play 4 quarters yet, but he seems like a new man to me. It is my opinion those offering the greatest criticism, don't seem to have an effing clue on what a DL does.....

A little sanity....thank you!

I will say this, people sometimes forget how Henderson sometimes got so excited to make the big play he got drawn out of position....I LOVE Henderson...but there was a time at UT when his discipline on plays was in question.... With that said, would love to see some Henderson insanity from him now and then just to put a lil more fear on the opposing team....or better yet a little more of Doug Atkins winning personality on the field.

Still right now I love what I am seeing from him, and I chalk up this criticism on him to be as true as a held sign saying i don't know what the f*** i am talking about. He's not a linebacker, he's not supposed to be blitzing the corner, his job is to push the line back, create chaos, and make them double cover him, and by golly that is EXACTLY what he has been doing, and impressively so, and with discipline..

I would call it a difference of opinion regarding the creation of chaos more than negative criticism of big Dan. IMO
No question he is doubled often. And I see the push he gets against O-lines. I just think somebody that large should be able to get off a blocker better than he does. You don;t have to always get to the qb or rb, just shed a blocker and make a play when they are running past you.

Yeah.. Right..

With your logic Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata are awful DTs.

And Haynesworth got 5 sacks total over 3 years of playing here and 1.5 of those were in his last year. That was bad enough to warrant an All-SEC nod and additionally, it was so bad he got drafted in the 1st Round in the NFL.

With that said, I think McCullers should be generating more pressure from the interior but I'm pointing out that some of you citing sacks as a valid indicator for how good a DT is might be among the dumbest things I've seen on this forum.

And that is really saying something.

Reactions: 3 people
McCullers isn't a defensive end. Sacks are supposed to be a rarity for him.

lol

Some guys in here go to vote for Pro Bowlers in the NFL and simply sort the DT category by "Sacks".

This is why nobody takes Pro Bowl voting seriously.

lol

Some guys in here go to vote for Pro Bowlers in the NFL and simply sort the DT category by "Sacks".

This is why nobody takes Pro Bowl voting seriously.

Its true. McCullers job is to absorb as much attention from the center of the o-line as possible and to stop the run. Every once in a while the line will miss a block and McCuller's will get an opportunity to slip into the backfield and make a play. Those opportunities are extremely rare for a defensive tackle.

With your logic Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata are awful DTs.

And Haynesworth got 5 sacks total over 3 years of playing here and 1.5 of those were in his last year. That was bad enough to warrant an All-SEC nod and additionally, it was so bad he got drafted in the 1st Round in the NFL.

With that said, I think McCullers should be generating more pressure from the interior but I'm pointing out that some of you citing sacks as a valid indicator for how good a DT is might be among the dumbest things I've seen on this forum.

And that is really saying something.

Ok.. How many pass rushes/sacks has he garnered against the two crappy teams he's played so far this year? Butch has been critical of his play so far this year.. Let's stop being homers, and call it like it is!

Some of you guys are just straight up douche bags the way you are talking about him. You can't analyze your way out of being a tool.

Reactions: 6 people
My earlier comments about his tendency to stand up notwithstanding, I have been pleased overall with Dan's performance. Somebody else should be running free somewhere with the attention he's getting.

All this being said, McCullers can become a household name with a good showing Saturday. Not to single anyone out, as our entire D will need to be flawless...it starts with him.

Not sure if serious

WKU's Qb was a statue and stood in the pocket and had plenty of time to get the ball out almost the entire game, and I don't wanna hear about Suttons interception, as it had nothing to do with rushing the passer, just a good play by a good player.

6 fewer big macs in the portland metro area...

Before this season I assumed he could play against oregon b/c of thier tempo, but he is now down to a slimming 350 (Not positive but I think thats it) and in great shape. I think he could be the key to keeping them out of the middle which would make it alot easier on our D to get some stops.

If we controll the LOS and make them run outside all day and throw, then we have a chance.

:On a side note Im a betting man and even though I choose to never bet for or against my vols. I see several good speards this week. The 2 Im thinking of putting big money on are Kensucky vs UL Im think UL at -13 all day. And Miami(OH) at Ohio -7. Kentucky been Miami 41-7 nough said.

my prediction a good game but a loss 31-21 oregon

VN Store

Back