Milton opt out?

I think this is foolish. He needs every opportunity to showcase his talent. His arm strength may not be enough to get him drafted

Regardless of whether you agree with players opting out or not (for whatever reason), I think it's very selfish of them and I'm not happy with the coaches/conferences/NCAA allowing it. Finish what you started and do it for the team, university and fans, not for YOU. It shows loyalty, respect and integrity IMHO. I will never understand and agree with the mindsets of the younger generations. Just not the way I was brought up. My two cents!

I do wish Nico and the players who are showing up, all the best and will be rooting hard for them New Year's Day! #GBO
When the NCAA gives these players insurance if they get hurt in a bowl game, I might start agreeing with you. Until then, they should go get their bag.

Reactions: KHVol
Joe is out. I believe the underlying reason isn't what is/will be said about prepping for the NFL. I believe that as a rather unappreciated/underappreciated QB, he's giving the Joe haters what they want. I hope Nico engineers at 76 - 12 beat down of the Natty Bumppo.wannabes. But Joe is stepping out since he's basically unwanted by too many so-called Vols fans. If Nico's thin frame gets curb stomped by the Rolling Prairie beefeaters, well, what you wished for, you got. Hopefully, that won't happen, can't help thinking Joe's motivation is to give the grumbling, griping, hating, whiners, what they wanted.

Just the same, I'm looking forward to the game. Getting ready for Shirley and me to enjoy smoked pheasant, wild rice, mashed sweet potatoes, bacon wrapped asparagus, and goat milk stout. To be dug into after the game, as a celebration meal or consolation meal.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Joe is out. I believe the underlying reason isn't what is/will be said about prepping for the NFL. I believe that as a rather unappreciated/underappreciated QB, he's giving the Joe haters what they want. I hope Nico engineers at 76 - 12 beat down of the Natty Bumppo.wannabes. But Joe is stepping out since he's basically unwanted by too many so-called Vols fans. If Nico's thin frame gets curb stomped by the Rolling Prairie beefeaters, well, what you wished for, you got. Hopefully, that won't happen, can't help thinking Joe's motivation is to give the grumbling, griping, hating, whiners, what they wanted.

Just the same, I'm looking forward to the game. Getting ready for Shirley and me to enjoy smoked pheasant, wild rice, mashed sweet potatoes, bacon wrapped asparagus, and goat milk stout. To be dug into after the game, as a celebration meal or consolation meal.

LOL

Pretty sorry if you ask me that a Starting QB opts out and quits on your team for the bowl game 5 days before the game. Yeah he or others are really VFLs!
Hope he is an absolute "flop" in the pros. Certainly turned out to not be a "team" player.

Some will say, he didn't get the reps during the season. That doesn't hold up since some have been saying if Nico had started we would've been 10-2 or better so if they think he could do that during the season he should be able to win against a team like Iowa. I'm already expecting the "we paid $8 million for this" comments when we lose our first game that he doesn't play well in next season.
I think 2024 will be a gel'n season for the team with making a run for the CFP in 2025. If we do it in 2024 then all the better
Not very much. I erealize we are playing one of the best and strongest defense in college football which has caused offensive problems for most of their opponents. I also we are play a freshman who has had very limited exposure to frontline defenses. I am pleased that he is having this experience during a bowl game and not at the expense of a regular season opponent in 2024. This game will give him and his coaches the opportunity its to work out any kinks which arise in this years bowl game. Next year's team will be much better at the beginning of the 2024 season because of this game. It will also benefit our young RBs in the manner.

This is a win-win for Joe, Nico, and the future. Joe ended the regular season on a high note. He has the senior bowl, pro day, and the combine to showcase his talents. Nico and the Vols get a running start at the 2024 season getting the youngsters some much needed experience. I’m confident that this decision wasn’t driven by a desire to placate the Joe haters as that would be ridiculous.

A couple of articles I read this AM indicated that this was true but Heuple showed some class and did not disclose it to let Joe make the announcement it was his decision to opt out. Very good decision for both sides. Article indicated Nico had been taking all the snaps since bowl practice started.

Off the Hook sports was one of them in case anyone needs backup.
From what I’ve heard he practiced some but was on the fence on whether to play or step out of the way for Nico. It was the opinion of most that he couldn’t help his draft status with having a good game and could hurt it by getting hurt or struggling in this game. Best thing for Milton and the Tennessee program is to get him drafted as high as possible and playing vs Iowa wasn’t going to do it. Heupel said Milton would be with the team all week for prep, it sounds like he will be on the sideline to help Nico as well.

Reactions: KHVol and hog88
I think this is foolish. He needs every opportunity to showcase his talent. His arm strength may not be enough to get him drafted
As long as the Raiders scout that thought JaMarcus Russell was a # 1 pick is around - He will get drafted for his arm

You decided to come out of that cave?

He's got the Sr Bowl, campus pro day, the combine and individual team workouts to showcase his talents. The bowl could only hurt him, not help.
Pretty much. This game is likely going to be as exciting as watching paint dry with Iowa’s defense.

I'd rather see guys play instead of opting out, but I understand why they do it. Now, if it were a playoff bowl game, I think it would be viewed differently.. For me personally, I couldn't sit out with a possible natty on the line.

Anyways, NFL GMs and coaches don't seem to care, because their draft status/rating doesn't seem to suffer...

This was Aiden Hutchinson a couple of years ago:
"Hutchinson spoke to the media on Wednesday and confirmed that even if the Wolverines hadn’t been in the CFP, he still wouldn’t have skipped the team’s bowl game.

'We wouldn’t leave our team out to dry ever,' Hutchinson said."

As I've said elsewhere, competitors compete. It's Brett Favre saying "pop it back in place" and heading back out. It's Ronnie Lott saying "Snip off the tip of my finger" and heading back out. "Opting out" shows a lack of character.

You call a duck a duck. It's not hate. Why is everyone afraid of criticism anymore. It's like, if you ain't saying the best things, then shut up. Thin skin wimps everyone has become.
Criticism and calling a dude who played his ass off for us a bum are two different things. Learn the difference.

Criticism and calling a dude who played his ass off for us a bum are two different things. Learn the difference.
I never called him a bum. In fact from what I'm reading most people "hating" on him are just saying he sucks. They're not throwing personal insults. They just say he sucks. Pay attention without making stuff up in your head to fit your narrative.

You decided to come out of that cave?
No. Being bowl time, I opted to peek out the cave entrance to see what the ogres here were saying. As for the poster who smugly stated how I thought Heupel was a mistake, I wasn't alone in this sentiment. Nor when I changed my mind later. And yeah, Mr. Poster, I will always side with our players, unless they intentionally and overtly disgrace the UT. Headed back inside, but will be fully back by fall. Got some stuff to finish right now. Might even bring some stalactites and stalagmites, along with an olm or two for your personal amusement.

No. Being bowl time, I opted to peek out the cave entrance to see what the ogres here were saying. As for the poster who smugly stated how I thought Heupel was a mistake, I wasn't alone in this sentiment. Nor when I changed my mind later. And yeah, Mr. Poster, I will always side with our players, unless they intentionally and overtly disgrace the UT. Headed back inside, but will be fully back by fall. Got some stuff to finish right now. Might even bring some stalactites and stalagmites, along with an olm or two for your personal amusement.
Merry Christmas 🎁!

Are we going to look back at this bowl game win or lose and say it was the biggest deal for the program? Probably not but in the moment a win sure does feel better than a loss. For the fans, bowls mean something or else why watch? For every win a coach gets, it typically has a positive impact on his job security while every loss takes away from it. The players get to showcase themselves on national TV as well. The bowls definitely mean something.
Agree with most of this, but here's a scenario about stressing the importance of this game. Let's say your opponent has basically an inferior team that we would beat the snot out of during the regular season. None of their players "opt out" and half our team is made up of benchwarmers that wouldn't have seen the field (our DB's in this game and now Nico and I understand Nico isn't your standard benchwarmer). So this inferior team comes and and gets the W. The record books show none of this drama - it's binary, either a 1 or a zero for posterity, and it goes down in history as Iowa was a better team.

My point is, it's a false positive on with the opt outs, and it waters down the significance of the game. And much like the spring game, it gets the guys that worked hard in practice all season and the young pups a chance to get a taste of the future, but it's NOT the same team that battled Ga, UF, Bama, Missouri, Vandy TAM etc. this season.

I never called him a bum. In fact from what I'm reading most people "hating" on him are just saying he sucks. They're not throwing personal insults. They just say he sucks. Pay attention without making stuff up in your head to fit your narrative.

Why do you think that? Milton is one of ONLY 6 UT QB's that have accounted for more than 3,000 yards in a season. I'm assuming some of that is because of the Florida loss. Well Peyton Manning was 0-4 against Florida. And to be honest there were drops by the WR or Milton's numbers would be even better. Yes there were passes overthrown - all QBs do that.

The only thing one can say is that Milton is not Hooker. Well Hooker was not Manning and Tee Martin was not Manning either.

Milton had a good year and the 4 losses were team losses - not due to one individual on the team.

I hope Nico does good on Monday because if he doesn't many of you will have a melt down.

VN Store

Back