MMA Thread

Sorry I couldnt post while the fight was on.
Here is what I took away from the Faber-Pulver fight.

1:UF is lucky the fight only went 5 rounds, UF has the better cardio by far (JP hates to train), but UF couldnt hurt JP.
2:UF is quicker than we all thought with his right hand. He is so dominate with his take down and then ground and pound that he has never had to showcase his stand up.
3:UF doesnt have great power with his punches to beat top quality opponents.
4:JP is one of the toughest guys I know and showcased his BJJ tonight by neutralizing UFs on the mat skills.
5:UF will continue to dominate (may lose to JP in a rematch) until there is some decent competition in that weight class.

The other thing, I would like to see Roger Huerta or Sean Sherk drop 10, go to WEC and watch them dominate.

Huerta I can maybe see, But Sherk would have to cut off a limb to make 145.

After last night, I don't think I'd bet on Huerta against Faber. I also will pull for Huerta in a few months, but don't expect him to beat Kenny Florian.

I am curious, however, what Faber does from here. He's in the same position that Anderson Silva is at 185. the problem Urijah has, though, is that he isn't big enough to fight 155.

the other problem he has is that he trains with BJ Penn, and I don't think that they'd ever fight each other.

They might but BJ would kill him. Also, you have to realize the level of competition in the UFC vs WEC. I think Huerta is a fighter that would benefit from dropping down. Unfortunately, there is more money in the UFC. Huerta could beat Faber.
Sean could drop 10. He walks around at around 155. He isnt a 160 guy that cuts down.

You know whats funny. Brandon Vera could end up being the heavy weight champ and he is 225. There is so little competition there that I wouldnt be suprised if he does win it. Also the lack of quality opponents in the heavyweight division will benefit Brock Lesner. Dana White will have to throw out more money to the heavyweights in Japan, Europe and Brazil.
Just my oppinion, if Fedor Emelianenko entered the HW division in the UFC, he would dominate.

I would like to see Brandon Vera drop to Light Heavy. That would be a show.

They might but BJ would kill him. Also, you have to realize the level of competition in the UFC vs WEC. I think Huerta is a fighter that would benefit from dropping down. Unfortunately, there is more money in the UFC. Huerta could beat Faber.
Sean could drop 10. He walks around at around 155. He isnt a 160 guy that cuts down.

MN newspaper article about Sherk

I knew I had read this somewhere.....

The lightweight (145-155 pounds) division was added recently with that in mind.
The new division might be Sherk's ticket to a world title. At 5-foot-6, he typically walks around at 175 pounds. While that makes it easy for him to fight as a 170-pound welterweight, it often confronts him with size disadvantages against guys who normally maintain weight 15 pounds or more heavier than he does.
ìTo make weight as a 170-pounder, all I have to do is skip breakfast,î Sherk says.
Has wrestling background
But Sherk has a wrestling background, so he's no stranger to cutting weight, including amounts exceeding five pounds. The lightweight division offers him an opportunity to fight opponents closer to his natural size, rather than larger guys who cut 15 or 20 pounds just to get to 170 pounds.

I honestly thought he was bigger than that, walking around at 180-190. but a 20 pound cut (with the amount of fat that Sherk LACKS) is more than tough enough.

He walks around lighter than that now. At least that is what I was told.
On another note. My friend met him in Vegas before his suspension. He wasnt quite training cardio for a fight so he was above normal weight. He said Sherk was the biggest little guy he had ever seen.

Another thing to look at. If you believe that SS did use steriods, he would have lost weight after stopping using them too. I believe he tested positive in July of 07 and that article was in 06.

VolFireBirds, knew a guy who fought in a few fights out of Little Rock. He cut from around 200 to the 170lbs in a matter of a few days. That is the most amazing cut I have seen although I am sure there similar cases in wrestling. What is the biggest cut you have seen since you were a wrestler?

I will agree with you that he looked Noticeably smaller in the fight with BJ. but a 145 pound Sherk seems really damned unfair, so I'll hope for Faber's sake that he can't make that cut.

I've seen five in an hour twice--both times led to cramps and a hospital visit.

I myself cut 9 pounds in a 3 hour practice by accident--just kept running, and wound up 5 pounds under by day's end.

I've had kids that I coach cut 10-15 in 2 days, but they were absolutely worthless for the event.

I myself am against cutting a lot of weight, since I'd rather a kid lift hard and be strong, as well as able to train harder due to having more energy.

in 1997, a guy named Jeff Reese who wrestled for Michigan tried to cut 20 in 36 hours. He collapsed and died while crawling to the scale. He was the third death in as many months due to unsafe weight loss.

That changed College wrestling for the better, since that did away with day-before weigh-ins and started hydration testing to further even the playing field safely.

That also screwed up the NCAA weight classes, though, since the NCAA's solution was to "just add 7 pounds to every class....that'll fix it. Screw the 118 pounders".

Me? Bitter? the Hell you say.

You are close to my age. Where did you wrestle and at what weight class (I am assuming you wrestled at 118)?
I only wrestled in middle school because I played football, basketball and soccer in High School. Again, I got into BJJ after my soccer career ended (quick ending too ha ha).
I know they test for diuretics now but I knew kids that would piss out 5 pounds in an afternoon.
I would agree with you about the weight cutting but I believe as a professional fighter, after weigh in, some fighters are on an IV pretty fast.

Wrestled in west TN at Dyersburg HS (at 112), then tried to walk on at UTC before my brain entered my boxers and I decided to quit and chase poon. Biggest mistake I've ever made.

I probably would never have started a match--Mark Leen had recruited three top-level 118/125 pounders-- but the experience would have been invaluable.

There is a very good site called Sherdog.com that is pretty much the industry standard.

I will warn you, though, to stay away from their forums if you value your sanity. the level of moron over there makes even the dumbest among VN look like a genius.

Wrestled in west TN at Dyersburg HS (at 112), then tried to walk on at UTC before my brain entered my boxers and I decided to quit and chase poon. Biggest mistake I've ever made.

I probably would never have started a match--Mark Leen had recruited three top-level 118/125 pounders-- but the experience would have been invaluable.

a trojan huh? i was a choctaw myself :rock:

I get my info from my own experience and friends in the industry and friends of fighters.

There is a very good site called Sherdog.com that is pretty much the industry standard.

I will warn you, though, to stay away from their forums if you value your sanity. the level of moron over there makes even the dumbest among VN look like a genius.

Sherdog is pretty good. I do not agree however with their rankings of top fighters.

As to the forums, wow, there are some real rednecks that dont know crap who post there.

By the way, the next TUF really excites me with Frank Mir as the coach. For those that dont know, he is one of the best JuJitsu guys around and think he would be an excellent coach. It will be great to see a fire lit under him again because he is so good.

Mir is also the color guy calling the WEC fights.

Think he'll ever be the same as pre-wreck Mir?

Think he has a snowball's chance against Big Nog?

Mir does a 10 times better job than Joe Rogan because he knows what he is talking about.

He will never be the same after the wreck. Before the wreck, he was awesome.

As to his chances vs Noguiera, I would say prewreck it would be Mir. Now the advantage is definatatly with AN.
Should be an EXCELLENT show of BJJ and Judo. AN is a better striker imo than Mir.

when is the next fight? well i mean whats the schedule for the fights on tv? is it always saturday nights or what?

VN Store

Back