MMA Thread

upcoming events

looks like UFC 85 is this weekend, but only on PPV. I'll try to find a live feed somewhere, cause I'm not buying that PPV card.

after that, looks like we're SOL on live TV until the TUF finale on June 21.

you can almost always catch an old WEC event on Versus.

IMO the next big fight is going to be Couture vs Fedor, if someone can make it happen. Couture is willing to leave the UFC for this fight.

The next UFC fight with Matt Hughes isn't a title fight. After this I don't think Forrest Griffin has much of a shot against Jackson. Griffin lost to Ortiz, Liddell, Jardine, etc. Although he's really game, and will give it his all and brawl I just can't see him winning. A puncher's chance that's it.

Griffin has never fought Liddell. His loss to Tito was a split decision. I believe he lost to Jeremy Horn a long time ago.
Here is the scoup on Griffin. Only been knocked out TWICE. That is VERY good considering he is a brawler. One of those knockouts was a kick from JH too (someone may have to look up that info but I am pretty sure about it).
FG has good but not great knockout power. He WILL not give up though. It will be a better fight than Rampage-Liddell. Mark my words.
Rampage will probably win but my heart is with Griffin.

Make no mistake, Forrest is not to be taken lightly. He is as tough as they come.

But the Shogun fight completely revived his career, since he was essentially being fed to the wolves.

here's something interesting--Forrest was supposed to fight Machida at 72 in Ireland. Funny how careers turn out because of one missed fight.

205 is such mess right now--look at who's beaten who, and Dana/Joe Silva can drag the great matchups out for 2 years if they want to.

I DEFINATELY agree with you. Not enough fights per year in the UFC. There is needs be at least 3 fights a year by each fighter under contract. 4 would be to much punishment. 2 is too little.

Think that's got too much to do with TUF? A fighter gets hot, gains some momentum, and then he's put on the shelf for 6 months to coach a season.

Not that I mind the show, just saying....

Yeah, TUF has a lot to do with it. Also, I believe it has to do with some complaints about some of the last few PPVs. They are trying to get better matchups with helps in the middle weight and heavy weight division but there are way to many good fighters in all the others for them not to have more fights.

Wow. The evolution of MMA continues, as Matt Hughes got absolutely destroyed by Thiago Alves. Unfortunately, the word is that Alves keeps a pretty steady dose of "vitamin S" on hand, so we'll have to see what the post-fight tests say.

Wow. The evolution of MMA continues, as Matt Hughes got absolutely destroyed by Thiago Alves. Unfortunately, the word is that Alves keeps a pretty steady dose of "vitamin S" on hand, so we'll have to see what the post-fight tests say.

Plus the guy didn't make weight last night. Supposedly because of a heavily taped ankle, but it was poor taste to ask for a title fight after the win, when you couldn't make weight for your fight. I think he's expected to get the winner of Fitch vs GSP.

Bisbing is expected to get Franklin next, thats a big step up for him.

Four pounds of tape? that's called a CAST.

nah, Alves' own laziness is why he missed weight. as a pro fighter, that is inexcusable.

I didnt get to watch any of it. I got engaged a few weeks ago and had and engagement party on Saturday and Sunday. Someone give me the breakdown.

I made the mistake of going to UFC.com to see the fight card to decide if I was going to go out and watch it on Saturday. Bad thing was they already had the results posted and analysis because it was in London. So needless to say I didnt watch it altho I had planned to.

IMO the next big fight is going to be Couture vs Fedor, if someone can make it happen. Couture is willing to leave the UFC for this fight.

The next UFC fight with Matt Hughes isn't a title fight. After this I don't think Forrest Griffin has much of a shot against Jackson. Griffin lost to Ortiz, Liddell, Jardine, etc. Although he's really game, and will give it his all and brawl I just can't see him winning. A puncher's chance that's it.
The problem is that he has 2 fights left on his UFC contract. I don't see the UFC letting him out of it and they have already failed in trying to get Fedor so I don't see Randy fighting again.

Call me a naive optimist, but I think we'll see Couture one more time. Granted, that window is shrinking a little more every day, but the UFC contract does "run out" at some point, whether the fights on it happen or not.

And then, he'll go after Fedor. win or lose, that will be the last Couture fight.

also, keep in mind that Nog is still "officially" being called an "interim heavyweight champion".

I have seen several people say that Fedor will not beat Cotoure because he wont be able to take him down. Would be an interesting fight but I dont see it ever happening.

Don't think it'll happen, but I've got my fingers crossed on a possible Ice Man v. Spider matchup in Atlanta this fall.

There was an online petition that some of the mma schools in Nashville had put up and they talked about it several times on 104.5 who does a weekly mma segment I think on thursday afternoon.

I will be driving to Memphis for sure because you know Rampage will be the main even and he is by far my favorite fighter for so many reasons. He always reps TN, and not just Memphis and he makes this season of TUF the best one ever just to watch him. He could be a comedian if he didnt have hands as big as basketballs.

VN Store

Back