'24 MO DL Williams Nwaneri (Mizzou commit)

Will we ever know what they bid? There are a lot of people here doing a lot of assuming. I don't know what the offer is. Generically, it is just stupid to go into bidding wars with people when there are better alternatives available. Others don't know either... but they're certain that whatever Mizzou offers... Spyre should offer more. Apparently they think these few guys are the only ones out there with talent.

UT needs to have discipline. A solid NIL offer has to be part of it but if a recruit is too heavily influenced by that then you have to let them go. Let's say that Nwaneri takes a big NIL offer from Mizzou. UT can probably get 2 guys who have as much potential but less development. That is higher risk in a one to one comparison vs Nwaneri (in theory) but together it may yield a greater likelihood of producing a great player.

The truth is that we seldom know truly why recruits choose who they choose. The reasons are as individual as the kids are. All will be influenced by NIL some. But there was an article not long ago claiming that Bama and UGA don't offer as much as others. They sell a "long vision" of who will get them to the next level and best eventual NIL pay out. IOW's, "become the starting RB at our school and you'll double or triple what you are being offered elsewhere." Some kids want a guarantee. Some can be moved by a challenge like that.

UT seems to be more middle of the road. They sell both the opportunity and good "immediate gratification".
Good post! I agree!

This is type games we sometimes lose (think South Carolina last year).

I think we can get the W but it won't be as easy as people think.

I agree.. Every year the last decade you see fans guaranteeing a win and saying there's no way in hell we lose. At Mizzou could be that game this year like S. Car was last season. Obviously the SC game we later heard about the fights and divided locker. Obviously that may have played a part and if so I'm glad that certain LB isn't around anymore. We shouldn't lose to Mizzou, but just like last year we shouldn't have lost to SCe. And here's my biggest worry, we now play GA after Mizzou this season. So there's always that too, hoping they don't catch us looking ahead. Fans can say it won't and blah blah, but you see it EVERY football season. Even last year, Mizzou should have beaten Ga. Mizzou played GA better and closer than we did, yet we beat the Brakes off them. This is definitely a game that makes me nervous because of how bad we beat them last year and looking ahead. Lastly we would be playing up there when it's cold AF and there's times we haven't played well there. Hopefully we take care of business but it it was Ga barely beating them 26-22 last year. It won't be easy. Working to our advantage is Mizzou plays at GA the week before they play us.

Last edited:
Reactions: volbound1700
Been pretty easy the past 2 years...Face it, they can't stop us...Carolina didn't stop us either, We just didn't stop them enough.
We didn't stop south carolina at all last year. If we have a game where we look ahead and/or don't prepare the right way we will get beat. There are no gimme games in the SEC.

Will we ever know what they bid? There are a lot of people here doing a lot of assuming. I don't know what the offer is. Generically, it is just stupid to go into bidding wars with people when there are better alternatives available. Others don't know either... but they're certain that whatever Mizzou offers... Spyre should offer more. Apparently they think these few guys are the only ones out there with talent.

UT needs to have discipline. A solid NIL offer has to be part of it but if a recruit is too heavily influenced by that then you have to let them go. Let's say that Nwaneri takes a big NIL offer from Mizzou. UT can probably get 2 guys who have as much potential but less development. That is higher risk in a one to one comparison vs Nwaneri (in theory) but together it may yield a greater likelihood of producing a great player.

The truth is that we seldom know truly why recruits choose who they choose. The reasons are as individual as the kids are. All will be influenced by NIL some. But there was an article not long ago claiming that Bama and UGA don't offer as much as others. They sell a "long vision" of who will get them to the next level and best eventual NIL pay out. IOW's, "become the starting RB at our school and you'll double or triple what you are being offered elsewhere." Some kids want a guarantee. Some can be moved by a challenge like that.

UT seems to be more middle of the road. They sell both the opportunity and good "immediate gratification".
Hence why I was saying a while back, folks talk about the Nico offer but Heupel and staff made sure Nico wanted to be here for the right reasons and that it was his choice. Sure NIL helped, but it wasn't the #1 factor for Nico.

VN Store

Back