'24 MO DL Williams Nwaneri (Mizzou commit)

Is there any reason to go to Mizzou for him other than NIL? It seems like this is like when we got Shy Tuttle or McKenzie in 2015. Just delaying the inevitable firing of a below-average coach. Mizzou was at their apex when they won the east a couple of times, with a down UT, UGA and UF. With the expansion of the conference, they are like the 14th or 15th strongest program, depending on whether you rate them as better than Miss St.

Is there any reason to go to Mizzou for him other than NIL? It seems like this is like when we got Shy Tuttle or McKenzie in 2015. Just delaying the inevitable firing of a below-average coach. Mizzou was at their apex when they won the east a couple of times, with a down UT, UGA and UF. With the expansion of the conference, they are like the 14th or 15th strongest program, depending on whether you rate them as better than Miss St.
He’s from Missouri

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

Why is that? Yea I wanted him here but if he wants to stay home and collect that early NIL then more power to him. That's not the type players the Coach's want here anyway. We all know this was NIL driven but he chose what was best for him. Not everyone is a good fit in Knoxville. Plus if he doesn't like it after he starts getting paid he could transfer out his SO year. It's a win win for him. I have a feeling Franklin is in that same boat. Letting NIL decide everything. It's unfortunate but it's the way of college football now. They will eventually have to start putting caps on what an incoming FR can make.

No need to bash the kid, good luck to him.

Exactly. It's his home school and is about to get paid. I'm sure if that law wasn't put in, he most likely doesn't end up there. We don't need players who put NIL first anyway. What they could make in the zNFL in a career far exceeds what he will make in 3 yrs in college, but obviously he's thinking short term. But if he's as good as his ranking, he will get that NFL money no matter where he goes.

Most of these kids are making decisions based on NIL

Yes you can. Don't be so absolute.

2016, 2018 Clemson didn't have any top 5 classes, and 2016 only had 1 in the Top 10.
LSU 2019 had 1 #2 class, but that class lost many players when Les Miles left.

higher ranked classes make it easier, but aren't required.
National Champions roster ranking since 2015
2015) Alabama 1st
2016) Clemson 9th
2017) Alabama 1st
2018) Clemson 6th
2019) LSU 5th
2020) Alabama 2nd
2021) Georgia 2nd
2022) Georgia 2nd
Playing in the sec going into 2024 makes it extremely tougher than the road Clemson had in 2016 but not entirely impossible with a top 10 roster

National Champions roster ranking since 2015
2015) Alabama 1st
2016) Clemson 9th
2017) Alabama 1st
2018) Clemson 6th
2019) LSU 5th
2020) Alabama 2nd
2021) Georgia 2nd
2022) Georgia 2nd
Playing in the sec going into 2024 makes it extremely tougher than the road Clemson had in 2016 but not entirely impossible with a top 10 roster
Per 247 sports team talent composite***

Reactions: Vol8188
Hence why I was saying a while back, folks talk about the Nico offer but Heupel and staff made sure Nico wanted to be here for the right reasons and that it was his choice. Sure NIL helped, but it wasn't the #1 factor for Nico.
I think for the vast majority of recruits NIL can't be insulting but other things factor in. Just like if one of us was looking for a job. We would consider opportunity, working conditions, culture, safety, hours, etc along with pay. I recently hired a very good candidate away from a company with a nationally recognizable name even though they were paying him about $4-5 more than our offer. We pay bonuses when the company performs that can make up that difference. He was also worried that his job security and long term opportunities there were not as good as he wanted them to be.

What people value will always be nuanced. How we work through the quality of an opportunity is different.

I don’t think it is for him. He needed the money, he gets it right away at Missouri, he likely gets on the field early at Missouri as well, he gets to get more money in the portal and go wherever he wants in a year or two and get developed for the nfl.
He gets it when he signs which is maybe a month or two before an out of state school.

He’s from Missouri
A fact lost on some. The irony of folks being upset Jefferson didn't stay home and play for the Vols while calling Nwaneri names for choosing to do just that is just wild to me. Jefferson could have stayed home and played for a very successful UT team and Heupel. This kid is staying home to play for a team that will be challenged to be competitive and make bowl games consistently over the next few years. While I'd have loved to see him choose us, I can't fault him for signing on with the home state school. Wish him well.

Reactions: WOKI

VN Store

Back