Moc's coach fired for remarks.

Assuming the headline matches the context of the article: He doesn't have a case, imo. But he will likely get a settlement.
Not sure about that. Would be different if he were employed at a private company, but he was a state employee. The first amendment is protects citizens from the government and that is who is was fired by. Government employees can’t be fired for political comments or activity outside of their jobs. Also all he needs to do is pull up all the derogatory statements made by UT faculty directed at Republicans in order to prove an unfair standard of first amendment protections

Assuming the headline matches the context of the article: He doesn't have a case, imo. But he will likely get a settlement.
Based on the recent SCOTUS opinion for the PA(?) cheerleader, he'll get a settlement.

Not sure about that. Would be different if he were employed at a private company, but he was a state employee. The first amendment is protects citizens from the government and that is who is was fired by. Government employees can’t be fired for political comments or activity outside of their jobs. Also all he needs to do is pull up all the derogatory statements made by UT faculty directed at Republicans in order to prove an unfair standard of first amendment protections

Are you using the word "can't" as a substitute for "shouldn't". Because, just on a gut reaction, it seems like many government employees are fired for political comments.

I don't totally disagree, but I wished the principle was applied both ways. Why are people allowed, sometimes even encouraged, to take pot shots at Trump and get away with it? Hell, I've seen them lauded for it. And I agree that Trump is a douche bag, but how is he different than Abrams? Both are public figures putting themselves out there. So why do we express outrage one way, but not the other? It seems selective, and in no way "equal". Not to mention, it feels like we're censuring people's opinions, trying to tell them what is and is not okay to believe. Hardly an idea I think the Founding Father's would endorse. People are allowed to have horrible opinions that are not popular. It's called freedom.

Side note, I'm not a fan of social media like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. It seems they bring more discord than anything else.

Taking pot shots regarding his weight, hair and orange skin tone should be off limits. However, most of the pot shots at trump were taken as a result of the stupid **** he tweeted or said.

Why not? Not meant to be an argument, just axing opine.
I think it comes down to an employer in TN can fire any employee for any reason they want. While it is true the UT system is "government", it is only funded by government. It isn't making laws or governing the people of the state.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I think it comes down to an employer in TN can fire any employee for any reason they want. While it is true the UT system is "government", it is only funded by government. It isn't making laws or governing the people of the state.
This is true for TN. However, in general when the right to work states fire someone, a made up excuse is used like job elimination or your performance was in the bottom 10%, etc. They made it clear he was fired because of the comments he made. I didn't see nor read where he made those comments as the "Coach" or if it was on a private twitter. If those comments were made as the UTC Coach, he is toast because he was representing his employer at the time. If not, he has a good case. On the flip side, the witch hunt should just begin here and sweep up every derogatory comment aimed at a politician made by anyone using an "official" twitter handle or company website. Be a buttload fewer state employees.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
This is true for TN. However, in general when the right to work states fire someone, a made up excuse is used like job elimination or your performance was in the bottom 10%, etc. They made it clear he was fired because of the comments he made. I didn't see nor read where he made those comments as the "Coach" or if it was on a private twitter. If those comments were made as the UTC Coach, he is toast because he was representing his employer at the time. If not, he has a good case. On the flip side, the witch hunt should just begin here and sweep up every derogatory comment aimed at a politician made by anyone using an "official" twitter handle or company website. Be a buttload fewer state employees.

You are representing your employer 24hrs a day on the clock or not.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

You can be fired for comments you make.

You may be right. But just because in general made up excuses are offered when someone's employment is terminated doesn't mean made up excuses are required. He could have been fired for any number of reason both professionally and personally.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I am not familiar with that situation. Can you summarize or link?
Supreme Court weighs free speech case of Pennsylvania cheerleader punished for salty Snapchat
Teenage girl didn't make varsity cheer squad, she when on a profane rant on snapchat. fellow cheerleader copied post and showed to the cheer coach who this dismissed her from the JV squad - you know typical middle school learning opportunity to watch what you say and to who - but mama and daddy decided to sue and get her position back and its gone all the way to SCOTUS

Reactions: McDad
Well that would be a slam dunk.

Blake-Griffin.png

Reactions: golfballs
Supreme Court weighs free speech case of Pennsylvania cheerleader punished for salty Snapchat
Teenage girl didn't make varsity cheer squad, she when on a profane rant on snapchat. fellow cheerleader copied post and showed to the cheer coach who this dismissed her from the JV squad - you know typical middle school learning opportunity to watch what you say and to who - but mama and daddy decided to sue and get her position back and its gone all the way to SCOTUS
Thanks for that.

The cases are dissimilar though. Don't you think?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
True, but I'm against any protections against firing in the public or private sector.

I know we have had this discussion before but it is hare for me to grasp. I know you said you have actually not fired alot of people, and honestly, I have fired hundreds, but shouldn't there be some sort of protection?

I know we have had this discussion before but it is hare for me to grasp. I know you said you have actually not fired alot of people, and honestly, I have fired hundreds, but shouldn't there be some sort of protection?

I think no. Good productive employees don't need protection.

I think no. Good productive employees don't need protection.
Productive employees are fired and non-productive employees are retained all the time. In every sort of business including private and public. Based on this last year and the markets, I'm not sure profit and productivity is driving the economy at all anymore. If you create an environment where only Republicans are fired and only Democrats are hired, you are going to silence free speech. If you were thinking about giving to the Trump campaign this year, you probably paused to think if HR found out if you would keep your job.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and AM64

I happen to think she has a point.

Reactions: AM64
Productive employees are fired and non-productive employees are retained all the time. In every sort of business including private and public. Based on this last year and the markets, I'm not sure profit and productivity is driving the economy at all anymore. If you create an environment where only Republicans are fired and only Democrats are hired, you are going to silence free speech. If you were thinking about giving to the Trump campaign this year, you probably paused to think if HR found out if you would keep your job.

Good productive employees are rarely fired, they move on to better opportunities. Companies don't stay in business long by terminating their good employees and keeping the bad ones.

IDGAF what our HR department thinks, I'll tell them to KMA.

VN Store

Back