Most embarrassing thing about today

We kept running the read option looking crap without having a QB that can run? We tried running outside against a speed team. We could have pushed them had we run down their throats. But with no passing game whatsoever,and the idiotic decision to push the outside running game... well.. Im no coach but a lot of things should have been done differently.

No we couldn't push the ball down their throat. We got beat in the trenches. The ducks were just too physical for us. There is no use trying to call this loss anything any different. I still think this team can do some good things this year, maybe even go bowling.

Or...maybe we aren't very good?

Is it possible that the disastrous coaching changes, recruiting failures, and player attrition over the past 5 years have reared their ugly heads and earned us an arse-spanking by a National Championship contender?

So whats the positive? Halftime adjustments? Playing hard? 3rd and 1 and we throw a bubble screen with our awesome offensive line? I love my vols but we look like miss st on offense.. bad bad...we suck.. and will next week..

1) didn't commit to run once down by several tds
2) more dbs and lbs are perfect for option....3 down just need to hold gap
3) we knew worely was a stop gap QB.....he made the fewest mistakes up to today...but the talent isn't game changing... more talented qb needed with the inexperienced skill players we have....sooner or later a more dynamic qB will hopefuly Catch on..give the defense more to worry about
4) coaches knew what was going on...just don't have the horses to do anything about it......need very good front 4 to penetrate the middle and hold the edge......disrupt the timing
5) stop being so weak minded and emotional......take it a game at a time.....don't drink...it helps

"We have to be able to run the football more. You know, I thought Oregon did a great job at the line of scrimmage. You know, we pride ourselves on being a physical, blue collar football team, and I thought they won the line of scrimmage battle, and that can't happen. And, running the football is a strength of ours. And uh, you know, at times there were walkons and true freshman out there at the receiver position and we have to work to get open, but we have to run the ball more efficiently. We weren't able to run the ball efficiently today and that put us behind the sticks. And again, too many 3-and-outs and we can't do that to our defense..."

CBJ, response to first question in his postgame. In essense this was the same observation I was making. He also said toward the end "This will not be tolerated and we can never, never accept this performance." I trust you'll give him a call and chastise him for being weak-minded and emotional. Pompous arse. Some real peckerheads here on VN.

I don't think we run a read option offense. It's a shotgun/pro-style offense with a show of read option. I was unable to watch the whole game today because of family obligations but I've watched every snap of the last two. Worley, I don't think, ever keep it in those games (and i didnt see any in my limited view today) and if he did it was very few since he only has 20 yds rushing. I think it was Ware last week said that Tenn' offense couldn't be considered a read option because Worley kept it every time. What concerns me the most is the secondary play. 350+ yards passing given up at halftime. That's sunseri-like.

With that said, we played the team with probably the most overall team speed in the country and we don't have near the athletes on either side of the ball. Dooley didn't leave the cupboard totally bare but he did when it comes to experience at skill positions. We will take our lumps this year but next year and then 2015 and 2016 is when we will see the difference.

Whenever Butch realizes that, whether they are ready or not, Peterman, Dobbs, or Fergie deserve a chance, our offensive look will change. Worley limits us greatly right now and that's not me hating on him because I know the most popular QB on a team that struggles offensively is the backup, but, when announcers start talking about it multiple weeks, your eyes are not decieving you. bUTch gets it so I don't expect our offense to be this bad for too much longer.

The qb not running is not really the point. Worley is slow on everything he does from handing the ball off to being late on the throws as well as throwing behind the receivers.

A qb who is faster at processing would have kept drives alive and possibly kept the score more respectable.

I don't think there is anyone who still thinks Worley will be "the guy"

I think you are absolutely correct.... I was sitting in row 6 on the 30 yard line and several times I had basically a field level view down the line of scrimmage and the Ducks just stood the olinemen up. Oline wasn't very physical at all.

I saw the same thing against WKU. This OL is mentally weak. I have to wonder if there is a leader on that line. But I think the same issue applies to the defensive line as well with the exception of Daniel Hood. And he is not the best physical lineman.

The most embarassing thing today is reading some of the stupid ass posts thats from so called fans . We lose 1 game to Oregon that was expected and so many idiots on here wanna fire Butch already . Last week those same people were all on his nuts. Its a game get over it and stop being an armchair quaterback/coach , if its too much to handle then start watching tennis or something.

No we couldn't push the ball down their throat. We got beat in the trenches. The ducks were just too physical for us. There is no use trying to call this loss anything any different. I still think this team can do some good things this year, maybe even go bowling.

Do we have a bowling team? If so, at which bowling alley do they compete?:crazy:

My apologies, had to vent somehow. I have D1 talent in the lousy joke department.

The idea that we have a dominant oline is quite frankly a joke. Good pass blockers, that's it. We got no consistent push, even against a freaking 3 man front. Feel bad for Worley, but he just isn't big-time. Offensive scheme gives me no confidence - never had a clue what Oregon was going to do, they seemed to have no problem figuring out what we were going to do. Going to be a long season.

No, that statement is the most embarrassing thing about today....:whatever:

I saw the same thing against WKU. This OL is mentally weak. I have to wonder if there is a leader on that line. But I think the same issue applies to the defensive line as well with the exception of Daniel Hood. And he is not the best physical lineman.

I stand corrected, this is the most embarrassing post of the day......

The embarrassing thing is that we feel embarrassed. I saw what I thought I would see. We have the same team as last year minus a ton of talent. They are just better coached. They will get better. They will steadily improve. Lighten up on the guys. Let's get them through this season and get those 7 wins that we should and go bowling. Good times are a comin, just not this year (and maybe not next year). Butch needs games like yesterday to see where the holes are.

Reactions: 1 person
i don't really care for the QB being in a shot gun for a running game,to me,it slows down the running backs speed to the line and slow plays developing against a speed defenses didn't seem like good play calling either,of course the coaches will have to adjust to the speed they will see here at Tn

The Shotgun snaps didn't seem to slow done the Oregon backs.

Offering up one's honest critique is jumping ship? I guess in your world you're one of those "true" Vol fans whereas anyone willing to speak up and give an opinion is not really a fan. Pathetic. And the same applies to those who liked your comment. If you're unwilling to step forward and speak to what's broken, it never gets fixed.

3rd game. Pathetic.

All that backfield faking and sideways running seems goofy given Worley is never going to keep the ball. Just hand it off and get downhill with Lane seems best option.

I think he's saying it's okay to be pissed that we just got humiliated on national television, again.

59-14. Just wtf were some of you expecting the fan base's reaction to be?

Most were expecting to lose, myself included, but good lord. I've never seen so many people try to defend a 59-14 thrashing in my entire life.

No, he was saying a bunch of arm chair coaches can fix the program. Read his BS again. Yeah the Vols got humiliated, and yes it hurts like hell. But anyone who did not expect this is living in a fantasy world where the ghost of Robert Neyland and Tennessee tradition is instant fixes to an ailing program.

As to my expectations of the fan base, I expect the more intelligent 85% of the fans to realize that the Vols are far from competing with the top tier programs. The Vols have gone over 10 years with a lack of consistent leadership, and inept recruiting. We now have a staff that is repairing relationships with high school programs so we can get the recruits. We now have a coaching staff that have a shared philosophy to rebuild this program, but they have a long way to go.

As to the other 15% of the fan base that does 95% of the *****ing and griping, thank you for having us ranked as one of the dumbest fan bases in the country.

The o-line has been soft in the running game for 4 years, not sure why we thought it would end yesterday. The best and worst o-line I've ever seen...
Why they can't be road graders with their size and experience is a mystery to me.

VN Store

Back