Most Feared New SEC Coach

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
After just watching the following video, where the top LB in Alabama for 2015 has already been recruited heavily by Tennessee,
Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Rivals Underclassmen Challenge: Top LBs
I’d have to say of all the new (and fairly new) SEC coaches, I cannot imagine any being more feared than CBJ – he and his staff have done it wherever they’ve been in the past and they seem to be everywhere on the current recruiting trail.

If you asked any of the old guard of Saban, Miles, Spurrier, and Richt in a private conversation which newer coach they had the most concerns about in the future, I’d bet they’d list them in the following order (seasons starting with 2013 as a head coach in SEC in parentheses):

1) Butch Jones (1st)
2) Freeze (2nd)
3) Muschamp (3rd)
4) Sumlin (2nd)
5) Bielema (1st)
6) Malzahn (1st)
7) Franklin (3rd)
8) Stoops (1st)
9) Mullen (5th)
10) Pinkel (2nd)

I could explain why I list each one in this order but it would take too long at this point.

Comment away!

Reactions: 5 people
Bob Stoops (right UK fans?)

but seriously I would put Bielema much lower and Sumlin at the top

Reactions: 1 person
I wanna see butch jones coach first before i crown him or sumlin.

First of all, this is about perception. We aren't "crowning" anybody. The BCS will take care of that.

Second of all, I'm with you guys that say Sumlin. He's had a year to prove he can get it done, though. Ask me again in a year or two.

Any list right now without Sumlin at the top is wrong. He is getting it done, and proven it on the field already.

Reactions: 2 people
Sumlin is getting it done but according to ESPN's recent rankings of talent, A&M is hurting on defense this year. I just see them being a middle-tier team at best without Manziel (btw, did you hear he left the Manning camp a day early?). I probably could put Sumlin a spot higher due to their current recruiting (which is a no-brainer in Texas) but you'll have to convince me a little harder...

Sumlin is getting it done but according to ESPN's recent rankings of talent, A&M is hurting on defense this year. I just see them being a middle-tier team at best without Manziel (btw, did you hear he left the Manning camp a day early?). I probably could put Sumlin a spot higher due to their current recruiting (which is a no-brainer in Texas) but you'll have to convince me a little harder...

Agreed. Butch has proven a lot more than Sumlin and should be listed 10 spots ahead of him.

Sumlin's early success coupled with his fertile recruiting area has to earn him the top spot. He's running circles around Mack Brown in a state loaded with blue chippers.

Bielema has multiple Rose Bowls under his belt at Wisconsin. Say what you want about the Big 10, but that's impressive.

No one will ever fear the head football coach at Kentucky. Ditto for Mississippi State...Starkville will never be a long term destination.

Freeze needs at least two more recruiting classes like this last one before Bama or LSU has anything to fear.

With all the Vandy threads around here, Franklin may not be feared, but it's clear he has your attention.

Muschamp is held to higher expectations, given UF's recent success under Meyer and previously under Spurrier. Consecutive 8-4 seasons would get Freeze or Stoops a multi-year extension; it could get Muschamp fired.

Auburn won't suck like they did last year, but for the time being Texas A&M has taken over their spot in the SEC West's top half.

Missouri? Yeah, no. Big ups to Mike Slive for sticking them in the East right around the time Vandy steps its game up.

Not sure how you rate Jones at the top of the list right now. Recruiting has definitely improved, and that's the first step. Managing expectations through what could be a tough first season will be key.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

Beating the eventual national champs in their house isn't convincing enough?

Reactions: 3 people
Posters picking Sumlin will be surprised at what happens with the Aggies starting this season. He benefited from his presecessor stocking the talent and getting a hot, unconventional QB. With the defense being inexperienced and part of the O-line in the NFL, don't see a repeat happening. Johnny Football may be Johnny Nerfball this next season. He has proven to be very foolish. Add in SEC DC's knowing what to expect.

Squarely in the Jones camp. This is war, not a one year battle.

Posters picking Sumlin will be surprised at what happens with the Aggies starting this season. He benefited from his presecessor stocking the talent and getting a hot, unconventional QB. With the defense being inexperienced and part of the O-line in the NFL, don't see a repeat happening. Johnny Football may be Johnny Nerfball this next season. He has proven to be very foolish. Add in SEC DC's knowing what to expect.

Squarely in the Jones camp. This is war, not a one year battle.

Granted, at times TAMU's defense was garbage lat season. But their talent level is currently better than UT, and Sumlin's is recruiting on par with UT.

Factor in Mack Brown being too stubborn to get out his own way, and it sets up nicely for Sumlin to make a nice run in College Station, with or without Manziel.

Sumlin's early success coupled with his fertile recruiting area has to earn him the top spot. He's running circles around Mack Brown in a state loaded with blue chippers.

Bielema has multiple Rose Bowls under his belt at Wisconsin. Say what you want about the Big 10, but that's impressive.

No one will ever fear the head football coach at Kentucky. Ditto for Mississippi State...Starkville will never be a long term destination.

Freeze needs at least two more recruiting classes like this last one before Bama or LSU has anything to fear.

With all the Vandy threads around here, Franklin may not be feared, but it's clear he has your attention.

Muschamp is held to higher expectations, given UF's recent success under Meyer and previously under Spurrier. Consecutive 8-4 seasons would get Freeze or Stoops a multi-year extension; it could get Muschamp fired.

Auburn won't suck like they did last year, but for the time being Texas A&M has taken over their spot in the SEC West's top half.

Missouri? Yeah, no. Big ups to Mike Slive for sticking them in the East right around the time Vandy steps its game up.

Not sure how you rate Jones at the top of the list right now. Recruiting has definitely improved, and that's the first step. Managing expectations through what could be a tough first season will be key.

Good analysis. Butch is at the top for me simply because he is the coach at Tennessee. Nothing against those other schools, but none of them are the traditional powerhouse witht the resources, brand, etc. that Tennessee has. To me, that is what makes Butch scary. In terms of who will have the most immediate success, Sumline definitely tops the list. But Give A&M and UT the same record for a year or two, and I think UT is the scarier program overall.

Personally, the SEC's scary programs, when all things are right in the world, are UT, UF, LSU, Bama, and arguably Georgia. A&M definitely has the potential to join that group, but the fact of the matter is that thev never did anything consistently in an easier conference.

Gotta say when looking at results, you would have to give it to Sumlin. He has proved that he can win in the SEC. Coach Jones has yet to coach a single game here. Having said that, with Tennessee's winning tradition and with the excitement Coach Jones is bringing back, you know the other coaches have him on their radar. Plus, have you seen that man on the recruiting trail? He is relentless. Butch Jones "gets it".

A&M will not be the team they were last year. They lost some good defensive talent, and people will be prepared for Manziel. 9-3 at best. Regardless,
Sumlin
Freeze
Bielema
CBJ
Muschamp

If recruiting well sparks fear in the rest of the league, then half the league is feared by the other half. Not sure I understand the OP's point.

Gator...that was pretty much spot on :good!:

Fear is an ever changing discussion based of annual expectations and returning starters. Sumlin would be the first and foremost coach and team that has Bama's attention. Being a worthy contender in the WEST will make sure of that.

Beyond that, the fear generated will be the fear felt by one and all.

VN Store

Back