'19 MS SDE Jalil Clemons (Memphis signee)

Oops my bad. Guess he's still fast enough to play DB under Dooley though.

Dude is an explosive athlete. Curious to see what his next ranking will be, if they’ll boost him.

I don’t understand why he wasn’t invited to the opening finals when the guy said he was dominant and was the best DL there? Weird

This will sound like I'm slighting some guys in last years class, but its the only way to make the point I'm trying to make. There's a difference between taking a commitment from an low ranked/limited offer guy (Tillman and Garland come to mind) on NSD. While I'm obviously rooting for them and hope they ball out, I think we all can acknowledge that they're a part of last years class because we missed on a lot of players the staff liked more. We as fans generally will still try to take the glass half full approach and try and spin it to where the guy is an undiscovered gem. Afterall, they wear that orange, they're family.

When the staff accepts an offer from a somewhat low/mid ranked player with limited offers in June before his senior year, when you're still in it for so many more highly ranked players... then ratings be damned.... You have to put a little trust in this coaching staff - the programs they've come from, the talent they're used to being around.

They see Jalil as someone they don't want to risk losing. They see very real potential in him.

So while I had hopes the commit watch was for a guy like Crouch or Bogle or Wright - as it always is whenever we're rumored to have someone ready to announce - I have to be honest.... I really really like this signing. Reading the write ups from the various services, plus watching a number of videos of this guy. He looks like someone who very likely ends up a staple in our defense for 2-4 years.

Reactions: 4 people
Does anyone besides me see "Jail Clemson" on first glance at the thread title?

"Your vision is clouded by your hatred for the Honorable Dabo Swinney."

- VN Realists, probably

Sorry. It was sitting right there.

Reactions: 2 people
"Your vision is clouded by your hatred for the Honorable Dabo Swinney."

- VN Realists, probably

Sorry. It was sitting right there.

john-daly-hit-a-golf-ball-off-a-tee-in-a-womans-mouth1.gif

Reactions: 3 people
You'll notice an 88 grade on Jalil Clemons which is consistent with a no-doubt Power Five level talent. But I put that grade on him after seeing him at the Dallas NIke Camp when he had strictly Group of Five offers. I say that because this kid isn't a product of offer inflation or early hype. He's not somebody that backed into that grade. He's somebody that I felt strongly enough about to go against the grain on his ranking.

In Dallas, Clemons showed awesome edge speed and that was validated by a 4.8 40 at 238 pounds. He's not an overly long edge guy but I think he has a really good frame to play in a rush linebacker role. At the time of the camp, I described him as having basketball-style athleticism and to me that relates in part to a shiftiness and fluidity in space but also a pass-rush instinct that has a 'fast break' feel to it in basketball, just an innate understanding of how to get the rim/quarterback.

Needless to say, I really like the pickup and Clemons will have a legit shot to earn a fourth star as a senior.

- Barton Simmons

Reactions: 13 people
Clemons has all the skills defensive coaches want in a pass rusher. He has great athleticism and speed, and he has good bend around the edge. While he plays more defensive end in high school, he’s being recruited as an outside linebacker for the Vols and has a very high ceiling there in Tennessee’s 3-4 defensive scheme. His 6-foot-3, 240-pound frame would be perfect as an outside linebacker for the Vols’ defense, and he has the tools to work with to eventually develop into a productive pass rusher in college.

-N Rutherford
Mississippi Defensive End Commits to the Vols | Rocky Top Insider

So basically he has dominated the camp circuit, even beating Clay Webb, but he’s a little small and that’s why he’s only a 3 star? Interesting

Sounds like the reasons given for constantly rating Garrett ahead of Barnett in spite of the fact that Barnett produced more against the best competition.

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds like they evaluated him at de with no consideration that he could be recruited as olb.

seems close minded. It's also weird, IMO, how they associate certain players with the ATH title. Clemons seems like the kind of kid where they end up giving him the ATH title and an 88/ 5.7 rating and pretty much give up on further evaluations. meh, don't need em anyways, we got Pruitt. If he says he is Ryan Anderson 2.0, that's all I need to hear.

Von Miller is 6'3" 250 for comparison

I would say a good comparison for this kid is Marquis Haynes who just got drafted from Ole Miss. Marquis Haynes measured at 6'2" 235lbs at the combine and ran a 4.45 20 yard shuttle time (12th best for edge rushers at the combine). Clemons is currently a .5 inches taller 5 lbs heavier and .05 seconds slower on his shuttle.

seems close minded. It's also weird, IMO, how they associate certain players with the ATH title. Clemons seems like the kind of kid where they end up giving him the ATH title and an 88/ 5.7 rating and pretty much give up on further evaluations. meh, don't need em anyways, we got Pruitt. If he says he is Ryan Anderson 2.0, that's all I need to hear.

Shoop wants 220 lbs outside linebackers which can't effectively cover the pass or stop the run.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back