NCAA proposing new rules to allow schools to pay athletes directly

Fine, then let the student also pay for their education out of that money.

I had to work while I attended school to PAY for my education.
I'll take a stab in the dark and bet you weren't one of the "not quite employees" of the school who was part of a large revenue generating group for the school.

Trust me, if you're bringing in revenue, even as a donor, schools will treat you very kindly.

It's fair that the players get paid considering much money is thr sport. Maybe it's time to spin college football off into a business of it's own and just have teams pay universities for the right to use their name

Reactions: KHVol and zjcvols
The big part of the article for me isn't that the NCAA is proposing to allow NIL payments from schools. It's that the NCAA is proposing a new subdivision where the member schools who opt it aren't bound by the same NCAA rules and can instead write their own rules they will operate under.

Let me get this straight, the NCAA which fought all the way to the Supreme Court to avoid players being compensated AND argued that player compensation would ruin the amateur status of college athletics and ruin the sport
NOW
wants the schools to be involved in compensating the players and ruining the amateur status and the sport.

Just when you think the NCAA cannot do more to screw up college sports....

Reactions: volfeeva and KHVol
I have to disagree with everyone who is citing the value of an education scholarship.

Unless you are preparing for a career in engineering, medicine, law, etc., few college degrees will put you in a job that pays enough to cover your education. Trade school is a much better investment.

A college degree today doesn't even assure employers that you've demonstrated the ability to show up for class.

Accenture, Delta Airlines, Dell, IBM, Bank of America... are just a few of the big names who have dropped college degree requirements for most jobs. On career sites like ZipRecruiter, less than 15% of jobs list a bachelor's degree as a requirement for employment.
------------------
🤔 Come to think of it, the NCAA may be actually trying to SAVE college football by rescuing it from the sinking ship of higher education. Most of you may live to see many of the U of Tennessee campus buildings being rented for research and business incubators, while the athletic facilities and sports venues operate financially independently. That scenario might better explain the plans for building a hotel complex down by the river near the stadiums.

It all depends upon what you plan to be when you grow up. It can also impact the potential growth that is available to you in the future. Sometimes you can get the job but then you find you are limited and someone with a degree is hired OVER you and BLOCKS the position you wanted.

I have relatives who got the job they wanted but they are limited because they don't have a degree - now they are back at school full time while working full time to get the degree that will open up the next level of jobs.

Totally agree some students select majors that will take them nowhere though.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
They will Vet all of this and as they always do, then leave it up to ESPN to make the push for whatever they want ad nauseam on Sports Center. Then the mind numb bastions of College football fans will follow along like mind numb emotionless robots.
This will give the girls sports an even slice of the pie and everybody will be happy even the guys swimming on girls teams.

Reactions: volfeeva
So maybe the athletes should also have to pay the university for using their brand? And pay them for the publicity, etc.? It should work both ways.

Reactions: volfeeva
A little off topic:

Texas generates the most revenue in college athletics. A part of this is the Longhorn Network. I am curious how the other UT’s revenue will be effected when the LHN is merged into the SEC network.

Longhorn network in its final year

Not the point. You either factor in the dollars being spent on their education or you make them pay those fees.

As for the revenue - it is the TEAM and the BRAND that brings in the dollars.

A lot of words to simply avoid saying “no I did not”

Reactions: Stonewall83
So maybe the athletes should also have to pay the university for using their brand? And pay them for the publicity, etc.? It should work both ways.

Athletes can’t use the brand unless specifically approved by the NCAA (such as the Heisman House commercials). It’s why Caleb Williams couldn’t wear his USC jersey for his Dr Pepper commercials

Reactions: KHVol
A little off topic:

Texas generates the most revenue in college athletics. A part of this is the Longhorn Network. I am curious how the other UT’s revenue will be effected when the LHN is merged into the SEC network.

Longhorn network in its final year

The LHN is being dissolved and Texas agreed to that when they joined the SEC

Not the point. You either factor in the dollars being spent on their education or you make them pay those fees.

As for the revenue - it is the TEAM and the BRAND that brings in the dollars.
And most athletic departments as a whole don’t make money. In SOME men’s football and basketball fund the rest of college sports.

Revenue share in the football and basketball programs which make money and cut the rest of the programs?

The argument people make about how much is being made in TV agreements need to understand when you start revenue sharing for football/basketball lots of things in college sports will get cut and the schools and fans will suffer mainly women’s sports and men’s sports other than football and basketball.

Some smaller schools will even be forced to cut football and basketball.

That’s what the article says that I linked into the post.

Ah I misread your post.

The LHN was a massive failure and if I remember correctly it wasn’t not the moneymaker they were hoping. Part of the reason why they joined the SEC

Reactions: adam.vol
A lot of words to simply avoid saying “no I did not”

The university has never returned any money I donate to them. There are a lot of not so rich and famous donors who give money back to the university - individually it may not be a lot but collectively it is. The proceeds from sports only go to sports. It doesn't fund what is needed for the 90 percent plus other students, educators and community members who use the university resources.

Oh Boy. Huge ramifications.

This will cause sports to be cut within programs.

Now University employees requiring full benefits

WAGE laws since they are no longer amateur Athletes

Oh boy, I could go on but being administered by school with no cap, for all those unhappy with NIL, this is full out pro sports

Wonder if ticket costs will go up, LOL
All of this AND likely a player's union which will negotiate for a piece of that big media pie to be part of the school's NIL compensation.

This is the NCAA "recognizing the differences between our schools" and inviting the big money schools to leave the NCAA and establish a pro league.

And most athletic departments as a whole don’t make money. In SOME men’s football and basketball fund the rest of college sports.

Revenue share in the football and basketball programs which make money and cut the rest of the programs?

The argument people make about how much is being made in TV agreements need to understand when you start revenue sharing for football/basketball lots of things in college sports will get cut and the schools and fans will suffer mainly women’s sports and men’s sports other than football and basketball.

Some smaller schools will even be forced to cut football and basketball.

Yes - this will eventually make schools more selective in what sports they offer.

VN Store

Back