NCAA proposing new rules to allow schools to pay athletes directly

when you factor in having to devote 50% of the revenue to womens sports, it really isnt as good a deal as one might think. you will have womens teams, which contribute, generously, 10% of the athletic budget get 50% of the return. good day to be a womens athlete

Was it loyalty back then? Or was it forced?

I'm not saying it's "better" now, but back then the rules controlling player transfer were extremely prohibitive to the the player. You sign a letter of intent and that's your school. If you want to transfer it can be blocked and you have to sit out for a year. After that you're stuck. Was there actual loyalty when there wasn't really any other option?

How was any of it forced? They could go to another school if they wanted, the school just couldn't use them as a player on their sports team for one year. No one was prevented from changing schools if they wanted. The NCAA just wanted to discourage pay-for-play situations where teams would induce players to leave other schools. Which, big shock, now that we have the portal and NIL, lookie lookie, players are ditching schools left and right.

God forbid there be eligibility requirements to participate in an inter-collegiate athletic framework.

Reactions: volfeeva and KHVol
Fine, then let the student also pay for their education out of that money.

I had to work while I attended school to PAY for my education.

I have wondered when schools are going to start paying the top recruits their scholly money as part of their NIL agreement in exchange for that player to walk on instead. This would allow them to sign a bigger class. It would remove over-recruiting from the equation.

Reactions: volfan102455
It's fair that the players get paid considering much money is thr sport. Maybe it's time to spin college football off into a business of it's own and just have teams pay universities for the right to use their name

I agree with the idea of spinning the sport off into its own business, but I completely disagree with letting them license the school naming rights. If they're going to be operated as professional teams with no college connection, they have no business being connected to schools. It'd be beyond farcical. Who cares about which school-branded purchased team of professional players can beat another's? Nothing to do with the schools. So get it out.

Better idea - spin these little pro-am teams off, take their TV money with them, and let the schools get back to having actual student-athletes.

when you factor in having to devote 50% of the revenue to womens sports, it really isnt as good a deal as one might think. you will have womens teams, which contribute, generously, 10% of the athletic budget get 50% of the return. good day to be a womens athlete
IMO, the NCAA has to offer it that way because of Title IX but they're subtly pointing out to the big revenue programs that unless they want to REALLY share the money with the other sports, they need to leave the NCAA and start their own business away from the schools.

The schools are stuck with Title IX but businesses like the NFL aren't. The more I read of this, the more I think the NCAA is trying to find a way to keep the entire ship of college athletics from going down just because a few college programs are very lucrative.

It all depends upon what you plan to be when you grow up. It can also impact the potential growth that is available to you in the future. Sometimes you can get the job but then you find you are limited and someone with a degree is hired OVER you and BLOCKS the position you wanted.

I have relatives who got the job they wanted but they are limited because they don't have a degree - now they are back at school full time while working full time to get the degree that will open up the next level of jobs.

Totally agree some students select majors that will take them nowhere though.
and for promotions companies don’t care what the degree is in as long as you have one…

Absolutely No to re-regulation of any sort by the NCAA in football. All they do is empower a cheat-with-impunity class of privileged teams. The most corrupt programs absolutely hate the new NIL "wild west" precisely because it removes the possibility of subjecting the rivals of the cheat-with-impunity clique to rules the greatest cheaters scoff at.

Football needs to end all involvement with the corrupt and corrupting NCAA. They don't run the football playoffs. We don't need that politburo of university administrators pretending to be competent, or just, or honest.

If baseball and basketball want to find a new way to organize their tournaments, feel free to join the party and likewise tell the NCAA to suck it.

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of spinning the sport off into its own business, but I completely disagree with letting them license the school naming rights. If they're going to be operated as professional teams with no college connection, they have no business being connected to schools. It'd be beyond farcical. Who cares about which school-branded purchased team of professional players can beat another's? Nothing to do with the schools. So get it out.

Better idea - spin these little pro-am teams off, take their TV money with them, and let the schools get back to having actual student-athletes.
The question becomes where are the "not the UT Vols" going to play if not in Neyland or Thompson-Boling?

The university has invested a whole lot of money in arenas, training facilities, etc.

Reactions: Voltopia
The question becomes where are the "not the UT Vols" going to play if not in Neyland orThompson-Boling?

The university has invested a whole lot of money in arenas, training facilities, etc.

That's a great question which the schools probably should have thought of before they shoved all that TV money in their g-strings.

I know one thing thought. I bet young students who attended their preferred schools to get college degrees, but who could also play sports, would greatly apprecaite getting to use such lavish facilities. Seems pretty appropriate to me.

Absolutely No to re-regulation of any sort by the NCAA in football. All they do is empower a cheat-with-impunity class of privileged teams. The most corrupt programs absolutely hate the new NIL "wild west" precisely because it removes the possibility of subjecting the rivals of the cheat-with-impunity clique to rules the greatest cheaters scoff at.

Football needs to end all involvement with the corrupt and corrupting NCAA.

If baseball and basketball want to find a new way to organize their tournaments, feel free to join the party and likewise tell the NCAA to suck it.
The NCAA is made up of the schools. You think the Vols should no longer be associated with UT?

That's a great question which the schools probably should have thought of before they shoved all that TV money in their g-strings.

I know one thing thought. I bet young students who attended their preferred schools to get college degrees, but who could also play sports, would greatly apprecaite getting to use such lavish facilities. Seems pretty appropriate to me.
The rub is the revenue required to upkeep and run those facilities goes away with the team leaving.

It's one thing to build a big facility, stadium, athletic complex with sensitive fancy equipment but without sports revenue...... you can't justify it nor upkeep it.

The rub is the revenue required to upkeep and run those facilities goes away with the team leaving.

It's one thing to build a big facility, stadium, athletic complex with sensitive fancy equipment but without sports revenue...... you can't justify it nor upkeep it.

Hmm. Well, here's a thought - they could solicit donations from alumni to help maintain and operate those facilities. You know, ask them to help contribute so future students can enjoy the same experiences they had as students. Maybe set up a program of some sort to track those donations, and then let donors attend the games for a small fee attached to seat purchases.

Now, what to call it. What to call it. Let's see, what to call it ...

Vol ... Athletic Program? VAP? No, that's lame.

Vol Athletic Group hoooooo boy never mind, can't use that one, nope.

Oh! I've got it. They could call it ... the Vol Athletics Fund! They could even use some of the money to cover the cost of attendance for the student-athletes. That'd make it the Vol Athletic Scholarship Fund.

Yeah, VASF. Yeah. I like it. It sound good. It sounds right.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Oh Boy. Huge ramifications.

This will cause sports to be cut within programs.

Now University employees requiring full benefits

WAGE laws since they are no longer amateur Athletes

Oh boy, I could go on but being administered by school with no cap, for all those unhappy with NIL, this is full out pro sports

Wonder if ticket costs will go up, LOL

Sports cannot be cut as easy because of Title 9 rules, they have to keep balance. Have to keep enough female sports to help with the 80 males on football rosters.

How was any of it forced? They could go to another school if they wanted, the school just couldn't use them as a player on their sports team for one year. No one was prevented from changing schools if they wanted. The NCAA just wanted to discourage pay-for-play situations where teams would induce players to leave other schools. Which, big shock, now that we have the portal and NIL, lookie lookie, players are ditching schools left and right.

God forbid there be eligibility requirements to participate in an inter-collegiate athletic framework.
So what about a situation like Jalen Hurts who is a tremendous talent but so is Tua.

Hurts shouldn't have been able to transfer even though he's extremely talented but essentially recruited over? And there are many, many other examples for less talented kids.

That would've cost Jalen Hurts a lot of money at the next level because he would've been able to showcase his talent. Why should the schools be able to stifle an athlete's career?

So what about a situation like Jalen Hurts who is a tremendous talent but so is Tua.

Hurts shouldn't have been able to transfer even though he's extremely talented but essentially recruited over? And there are many, many other examples for less talented kids.

That would've cost Jalen Hurts a lot of money at the next level because he would've been able to showcase his talent. Why should the schools be able to stifle an athlete's career?

Hurts could transfer. There's no restrictions on transferring. He would just had to sit out a year as part of the transfer process.

Nothing about that stifles an athlete's career. There is no college requirement for NFL tryouts. They don't even have to attend a college; just be so many years removed from high school.

Reactions: volfeeva
Hurts could transfer. There's no restrictions on transferring. He would just had to sit out a year as part of the transfer process.

Nothing about that stifles an athlete's career. There is no college requirement for NFL tryouts. They don't even have to attend a college; just be so many years removed from high school.
C'mon. Why should he sit? He is one of the most talented football players of his generation and you think it's reasonable for him to not get to play after he did nothing but get recruited over?

That's absurd that the school's deserve that kind of control over a kid's life who isn't even enrolled in their school. That's crazy.

They had to ask permission (get a release) of the school they were currently enrolled in since letters of intent were legally binding. If that school declined, the athlete could still leave but would be forced to sit out from sports a year and might not be able to receive financial aid from the school they changed to. They would also lose a year of eligibility if they transferred without permission (release). I think you had to apply for a waiver or exemption, but the NCAA would likely revoke it.

Remember the days when an SEC school for example might grant a release if the player was transferring to a different conference? The player didn't have complete freedom to go where they wanted. The school had power over the player and could make his/her life much more difficult depending on where the player wanted to go.

Maybe forced was the wrong word to use on my part. But they made transferring very unfriendly for the player. I'd bet there were a lot of guys that wanted to change schools, but decided it wasn't worth the negatives that were put in place to keep them there.

Reactions: Voltopia
Sports cannot be cut as easy because of Title 9 rules, they have to keep balance. Have to keep enough female sports to help with the 80 males on football rosters.
Agreed, but during Covid a lot of schools cut soccer and men’s running programs for example so they could cut women’s programs to save money.

Neither the men’s or women’s programs have returned to those schools.

I see this same budget cutting happening here if this was to be implemented. Those sports will turn into club ball paid for by the athletes that want to play them.

So basically, the footnotes are:

Schools have to set aside a minimum of $30k a year, and half of the recipients have to be females to make sure they get a piece of it.

Collectives would become a part of the athletic department essentially

So donations to the UTAD could basically be used as NIL funds.

But it is designed to benefit both men and women's sports.
It would be dependent upon mentioned donation being a restricted or unrestricted donation. Many donors will give for the soul purpose of (something)? Others simply give.

VN Store

Back