New list for loudest college stadiums

I'm not going to lie, and this is not an attack on 99gator or anyone else but the swamp was the most disappointing stadium I have ever been in. I went for thr UT game in 2012 and I saw most of the crowd sit for 60 minutes. It was so anticlimactic that I had no intention on staying in Gainesville. The swamp is not all it pretends to be, and I hope it's a lot better come the third Saturday in september

are you sure it was in 2012?

Tim Couch said Memorial Stadium in Little Rock was the loudest venue he's ever played in...and he said that his senior year. MS holds about 55,000 people. Acoustics are the key.

I think that's the only place he played in a game that was actually competitive.

Been to your stadium for games we beat u and games we lost and never been impressed. Borderline top 10.

5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg

Had to do it. :)

I was in that one and ones that were much more important like I said I'm not saying its not loud... Just not as loud as the hype.

If you were in Gainesville for last year's UF-UT game...which took place in Knoxville...then yes, The Swamp was probably very quiet. :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Last time I was at a crazy loud UT game where the crowd was going off from start to finish was the 2006 Tenn. vs. Cal game.

Given the state of our program I would say 6th is generous right now. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's there was no louder.

i'll be interested to hear from you all after the oregon game.

i just can't believe autzen is that loud with that few people. it's one of those things that i have always suspected is overblown.

it's pretty simple to measure field-level decibels..

but, then again, i wouldn't expect a "U"F fan to understand measurables outside of mullet and jort length

Reactions: 2 people
If some of you guys want to insult fans from other schools that come in here to discuss football at least come up with something more creative.

Reactions: 6 people
If some of you guys want to insult fans from other schools that come in here to discuss football at least come up with something more creative.

i'm going to assume you're not referring to me since i was not insulting someone who was discussing football... i was insulting someone without the common sense to understand facts

i just can't believe autzen is that loud with that few people. it's one of those things that i have always suspected is overblown.

A few things about the construction of Autzen help. Fans are within feet of the opposing teams bench. Fans can actually talk to the players on the bench. The front row of the stands are about 6 feet above the playing surface so the field is in a hole very close to the fans. I've seen fans get in the ear of guys on the bench. Calling out specific players names and getting them involved with the crowd on occasions. I've seen opposing QBs flip the single digit salute to the fans after he was unable to get a play off three times in a row resulting in three illegal motion penalties. I've left the stadium with my ears ringing for the next hour or so. We've had opposing players shake their heads trying to get the ringing out of their ears. I've seen opposing players just looking around at the crowd.

Of course the fans get very quiet when Oregon has the ball. They know when to be loud and when to be quiet.

I don't care if Autzen is one of the loudest, I only care that they do everything to help the Ducks win the ball game.

The list is off in my opinion. I've been to most of those stadiums.

Michigan Stadium is the most overrated stadium in all of college football. Hell of a great student section, but the amount of t-shirt fans and mellowed out rich alumni added to poor acoustics ruin that place.

Texas Memorial Stadium isn't that loud. I attended the WVU game there this past season. The crowd for that game was heralded as the loudest in stadium history without a doubt. It was not even as loud as the Vols vs. Georgia game I went to in 2011. Overrated experience at Texas.

Kyle Field should be in the top 10. That place is a cool stadium to watch a game in. Not the prettiest stadium, but the noise and student section are awesome. Can't wait to see that place when the renovations are complete.

everyone's experience at an opposing stadium is different because you don't get the same situations and environments are different for various reasons.

so, if you were a florida fan and your only trip to neyland was in 1998, your perspective is going to be different than if you are a florida fan and your only trip to neyland was in 2008.

i feel bad for some other programs because they don't get the same experience and understand why a place gets the reputation it does. the noise factor depends on the opponent and how good the team is that year. i have had arkansas fans tell me that the swamp wasn't all that loud. i told them that's because you're arkansas. it would sound a tad bit different if you were florida state.

Exactly. I'm excited to see Autzen in Sept but as 25 point dogs it may not get as loud as usual.

been to many BSU games.... and part from that the Rose bowl.... if BSU is really 25 i dont have much faith for the other 100 teams in college ball

I just don't know why it gets hype just because you guys have been good. The stadium is not as loud as Neyland. It's really not debatable. And I was there for number 2 vs number 5 with the sec east on the line so don't say it depends on the game.

Turns out you were right.

I had to max out the volume just so I could hear just how quiet our crowd is...especially around the :19 mark.

Gators block FG to beat South Carolina - YouTube

everyone's experience at an opposing stadium is different because you don't get the same situations and environments are different for various reasons.

so, if you were a florida fan and your only trip to neyland was in 1998, your perspective is going to be different than if you are a florida fan and your only trip to neyland was in 2008.

i feel bad for some other programs because they don't get the same experience and understand why a place gets the reputation it does. the noise factor depends on the opponent and how good the team is that year. i have had arkansas fans tell me that the swamp wasn't all that loud. i told them that's because you're arkansas. it would sound a tad bit different if you were florida state.

I was going to post the same thing:

Oregon Schedule:

Nichols State: Crowd will be live for the 1st quarter, then quiet after. Second half zzz.

Tennessee: Crown will try to be loud to showcase their environment to SEC fans tuning in. I still don't think it will be that impressive. Most likely a 4th quarter library, and that's if we're still in it halfway through the 3rd (when the better talent usually pulls away).

Cal: Second half snooze-fest.

Wash St: Won't hear a peep in the second half.

UCLA: Probably the only game that could be loud and stay loud.

Utah: They'll be up 28 and the crowd will sit down.

Oregon State: Crowd will be into it until they pull away.

If you take the dB levels, or can somehow quantify the "energy" of those games, vs any other SEC stadium, it's not going to stack up. You can say all you want about how loud Autzen can get, but if you average out the noise level, or take the noise level at any given game throughout the season, you would have to give the nod to plenty of SEC stadiums, and some B1G schools as well.

Another problem for Oregon is that their game plan is geared around coming out strong/fast and putting up points quick. Fans sit down and listen once their team is up three or four possessions.

The concept/idea of Autzen is cool. I really have no personal issue with Autzen, but that stadium is not consistently cranking out the same energy/noise that most SEC stadiums are capable of achieving.

I remember being at the UCLA game (early 90s) and walking down to the field level stands. It was so loud my internal organs were vibrating. Talking to someone was useless and so was screaming. You couldn't even hear sign language. That was when WE had the loudest stadium in the land. Time to bring that back!

Reactions: 1 person
I was in that one and ones that were much more important like I said I'm not saying its not loud... Just not as loud as the hype.

If you were in Gainesville for last year's UF-UT game...which took place in Knoxville...then yes, The Swamp was probably very quiet. :eek:lol:

Gold. Volsohard has some trouble with honesty.

Reactions: 2 people

It's not believe me...The ground shakes when that place gets going.

It's not believe me...The ground shakes when that place gets going.

I've felt the ground shake at Alabama, Tennessee, some Ole Miss games, Titans games, Auburn, FSU.

I know that there is legend of LSU's stadium registering as an earthquake.

Florida, I'm sure, can achieve this as well. I'm sure UGA can do this as well. I've heard of it happening at Penn State and Ohio State.

I've felt the ground shake at Alabama, Tennessee, some Ole Miss games, Titans games, Auburn, FSU.

I know that there is legend of LSU's stadium registering as an earthquake.

Florida, I'm sure, can achieve this as well. I'm sure UGA can do this as well. I've heard of it happening at Penn State and Ohio State.

I've had similar experiences in Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee and Auburn.

There's too much concrete in The Swamp for it to shake. The east and west stands also double as dorms and administrative offices, so it's not like you can jump up and down and create noise or vibrations like the upper deck at Neyland.

The key to UF's acoustics are the steep incline of the stands and the four sound walls in each corner. The noise has nowhere to escape.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back