New list for loudest college stadiums

I've had similar experiences in Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee and Auburn.

There's too much concrete in The Swamp for it to shake. The east and west stands also double as dorms and administrative offices, so it's not like you can jump up and down and creative noise or vibrations like the upper deck at Neyland.

The key to UF's acoustics are the steep incline of the stands and the four sound walls in each corner. The noise has nowhere to escape.

And like Oregon, you are really close to the field.

You could touch players from row 1

i'll be interested to hear from you all after the oregon game.

i just can't believe autzen is that loud with that few people. it's one of those things that i have always suspected is overblown.

I've had the opportunity to watch a game at Autzen in the early 2000s (the program was just on the rise) and honestly the construction of the stadium made it VERY loud.

I'll not grant it Neyland, Death Valley, or the Swamp loud...but it's pretty darn cranked for its size...

Which is why we stick visiting fans behind the visitors bench. :)

I didn't think about this until now, but Florida is responsible for two rules changes from the league office regarding the crowd.

It wasn't always visiting fans behind the visiting bench :)

i was at the 06 cal game. it was very loud for sure, but the loudest i've ever heard neyland was in 01 UT-UGA, when Stephens ran a screen pass for a td. but we still lost thanks to chavis's prevent defense,and the squib kick.

Last time I was at a crazy loud UT game where the crowd was going off from start to finish was the 2006 Tenn. vs. Cal game.

Given the state of our program I would say 6th is generous right now. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's there was no louder.

I didn't think about this until now, but Florida is responsible for two rules changes from the league office regarding the crowd.

The only thing this changed was; now when your fans throw things at the visiting players and the throws fall short, it hits the visiting fans!:machgun:

Acoustically speaking I don't see how it's physically possible to be better designed than Neyland stadium. Sound literally cannot escape. There is nowhere to sit where you are not facing another person somewhere in the stadium. Not to mention the steepness as opposed to the say Michigan's Stadium. There is no other venue in college football that is designed to be louder than Neyland. And I'm not buying that people from LSU scream any louder than folks from UT when their team is playing well. Maybe we have forgotten what that is like recently but I would rather have Neyland than any other venue. Just my biased opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
Kinda funny how the article for USC made a mistake, or just a reflection from last season.

Nevertheless, Trojan fans expect a lot from their team which is reflected in how low they cheer.

" in how LOW they cheer" lmao

Acoustically speaking I don't see how it's physically possible to be better designed than Neyland stadium. Sound literally cannot escape. There is nowhere to sit where you are not facing another person somewhere in the stadium. Not to mention the steepness as opposed to the say Michigan's Stadium. There is no other venue in college football that is designed to be louder than Neyland. And I'm not buying that people from LSU scream any louder than folks from UT when their team is playing well. Maybe we have forgotten what that is like recently but I would rather have Neyland than any other venue. Just my biased opinion.

The only difference is that in our glory days the two fans that were facing each other at any given two points in the stadium were clapping and yelling. Now those two fans are sitting on their hands, or have their head in their hands.

Winning breeds crazy fans. We'll be back and people will forget how loud Neyland truly is.

I remember being at the UCLA game (early 90s) and walking down to the field level stands. It was so loud my internal organs were vibrating. Talking to someone was useless and so was screaming. You couldn't even hear sign language. That was when WE had the loudest stadium in the land. Time to bring that back!

My external organ was vibrating too lulz

Take off the orange glasses for just a second. The Swamp can get loud. Real loud

That's just it...places like Baton Rouge and The Swamp are loud when the team isn't playing well...sustained noise for 60 minutes when the home team is on defense.

In my travels to Neyland, at times it seems like it's the teams' job is to get the crowd amped up, not the other way around.

I remember seeing the Oregon fans pregame and before the rain out and they had no clue it was going to be that loud. I couldnt here myself think. Then the rain came...yadda yadda yadda. That was that.

Its all about rivalries and what's at stake.

I'm sure when we go to Autzen this year it won't be as loud as a USC or Oregon State game but...I have no doubt it will be loud. The crowd sits right on top of the field in Autzen, giving it a very up close and personal feel, or so I've heard from some acquaintances who were from Oregon.

I really wish I could go...Autzen is definitely a stadium I'd like to go to, regardless of UT being there. In fact, I'd rather see a rivalry game there, you get a more authentic feel.

Still don't know how 50,000 people can be as loud as 100,000. Is it "PAC 12 loud" or "SEC loud" ? I hunted that stadium when I was in Eugene....still haven't found it!

While it's somewhat an interesting topic, having fans, the majority of which all like the same team, "discuss" the topic is pretty pointless. Most here are going to proclaim no stadium is as loud as Neyland and it's "not debatable", call the list a joke, etc, and most of them saying that probably haven't even been to another stadium on the list.

And even if you had, it still doesn't prove you're right; even if you went when the game was important, because it's all about perception.

Had a friend from another message board that lives in the Detroit suburbs and he went to a game at Ann Arbor and said it was boring. Told him to catch a game at Neyland, he did and said it beat the socks off the Big House.
. . A Detroit friend of mine said the same thing. Game Day in Kville & AA are worlds apart. I went to a game there in 2011 & concur!

As of September 15th I will have been to 7 of the top 10 and 12 of the list..

Last edited:
Which is why we stick visiting fans behind the visitors bench. :)

Ditto for Baton Rouge.

Let me get this right........ You actually put the fans of the visiting team behind the visiting team bench??????? WHY on EARTH would ANYONE do that????????

You're doing nothing but giving up home field advantage. You need very loud fans as close to the visiting team bench as you can get them. It's about putting all the pressure you can on the opponent. Put the visiting fans in the end zone.

Let me get this right........ You actually put the fans of the visiting team behind the visiting team bench??????? WHY on EARTH would ANYONE do that????????

You're doing nothing but giving up home field advantage. You need very loud fans as close to the visiting team bench as you can get them. It's about putting all the pressure you can on the opponent. Put the visiting fans in the end zone.

About 300 of them is all.maybe 3 rows of 1 section...piss bomb rule..thanks for your concern,though

I'm curious, is this for all games or just league games? In the PAC-12 we don't have this restriction. As long as fans aren't throwing things, we'll likely not have that restriction.

well the loudest would be the students and they can't be behind the visitors bench (SEC rules). Also visiting fans have seats in the upper level endzones as well as prime seats in the lower levels

well the loudest would be the students and they can't be behind the visitors bench (SEC rules). Also visiting fans have seats in the upper level endzones as well as prime seats in the lower levels

The most comical thing I've seen done to visiting fans was about 40 years ago. I went to Nebraska for a game. Oregon was very very bad in those days and didn't have much of a fan following. Still Nebraska split the Oregon fans into groups of "4" and scattered us around the 80000 plus Nebraska fans. LOL

The PAC-12 hasn't had problems with people throwing things in the stadium (with the exception of Washington and WSU). WSU fans tend to throw anything not bolted down.

About 300 of them is all.maybe 3 rows of 1 section...piss bomb rule..thanks for your concern,though

piss bombs......... LOL. At Autzen a young man with a powerful bladder could shower the opponents without the aid of a container........

Granted, the visiting teams at Oregon are located in front of the donor section. So those old bladders don't tend to have the distance. LOL

Still have plenty of lungs tho....... LOL

piss bombs......... LOL. At Autzen a young man with a powerful bladder could shower the opponents without the aid of a container........

Granted, the visiting teams at Oregon are located in front of the donor section. So those old bladders don't tend to have the distance. LOL

Still have plenty of lungs tho....... LOL

Yeah, Id guess everyone connected with the University of Oregon has plenty of human waste to go around.

VN Store

Back