New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
they also compete with FL and Miami, and everyone and thier brother recruits FL. the same problem that has affected us has affected FSU......Urban Meyer and FL have taken over that state....for now. it has much less to do with stability at FSU as much as it does with what Urban Meyer is doing at FL and RAndy Shannon is doing at Miami.
also UCF and South FL are also doin well.

they also compete with FL and Miami, and everyone and thier brother recruits FL. the same problem that has affected us has affected FSU......Urban Meyer and FL have taken over that state....for now. it has much less to do with stability at FSU as much as it does with what Urban Meyer is doing at FL and RAndy Shannon is doing at Miami.

That didn't stop them from recruiting with Miami and Florida in the 90's.

how exactly does losing the sec title game and being on the bad end of 2 blowouts to your rivals constitute a pay raise?

What you really have to love is the AUTOMATIC $150,000 pay raise each year of the contract. UT's administration doesn't give a damn about performance.

8-5 seasons? He's won 9 or more games 4 of the last 5 years and TN will win more than 8 this year. I know, 10 wins ain't what it used to be, but he's doing better than 8-5 seasons. Give the man some credit.

OK, we are a 9-3 football team on average. Let's go burn down Knoxville and have a parade. 9-3 is enough to get us to Tampa every year. Good job Fulmer... here's another raise.

Yes... Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU have all had coaching changes since 1998. And not just for the worse. All of these teams upgraded in the coaching position, all of them have won SEC championships since 1998, and you have 3 national championships and an undefeated season among those teams.
this is what i'm talking about.

alabama's coaching changes: Gene Stallings to Mike Dubose, to Mike Price to Mike Shula.....to Nick Saban.....3 losers to get to Saban. I don't think the coaching change in and of itself is what sets Bama apart.....how'd the previous three changes go for them? it has more to do with the coach than the change.....

LSU: Hallman, Dinardo, Archer, Saban, Miles...again, 3 extremely mediocre coaches to get to Saban.....the change doesn't do anything in and of itself......

Georgia....went over 20 years between SEC titles.....Dooley to Goff to Donnan to Richt.

and as to your last sentence where you reeled off the championship pedigree of our competition......is it really that much of sin considering the company we keep year in year out, week in week out?

again, i think Fulmer's time has come and gone, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Yes... Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU have all had coaching changes since 1998. And not just for the worse. All of these teams upgraded in the coaching position, all of them have won SEC championships since 1998, and you have 3 national championships and an undefeated season among those teams.

In short, you are saying Fulmer cannot out talent any one any more?

that being said, pearl deserves a raise. fulmer's paycheck, however, shouldn't have seen an increase since the 2004 season. does hamilton owe him a life debt or something?

OK, we are a 9-3 football team on average. Let's go burn down Knoxville and have a parade. 9-3 is enough to get us to Tampa every year. Good job Fulmer... here's another raise.
9-3 is not what i want either, but it's far from the condition critical status you'd have some believe this program is in right now.

i said this a long time ago, if the ho hum "just another year" on the hill is 9-3 and playing in FL on NYD, then so be it.

what should be sprinkled in there is an SEC title or BCS appearance every so often. not all the time or every other year.....just like we've all said a couple three times a decade.....the rest of the time is 9-3.......fine with me.

I thought it was a consensus that Fulmer's greatest talent is recruiting... why should a home recruiting base matter if he is actually that great?
I didn't say any different. The article posted here tried to compare the recruiting/player situation for Meyer to that of Fulmer. Fulmer does an excellent job of getting talent to UT in spite of Tn's lack of instate prospects. He negotiates that catch-22 about as well as you can.

Has something changed from the 90's and early 20's to now?
Couldn't tell you about the early 20's. Not that old.

Changed from the 90's? Yes. Every team in the SEC has upgraded its coach... except for maybe LSU. (I think Miles may go on a slide the further he gets from the teams built by Saban/Fisher/Pelini. ) The instate kids of other SEC schools can now play for a contender at home where all the folks can come watch them.

Only one state produces fewer 4-5* prospects than Tn- KY. Arkansas produces about the same... but with half the population.

OK with everything except the automatic raise, 7 year length, and increased buyout (if that's true).

Actually one of the full articles says that he'll be 7th even after this contract is implemented... still very much middle of the pack. The only way he climbs out of the middle of the pack is if he wins championships.

fwiw, he could win two consecutive SEC titles and still be behind Saban.

To be honest, I think Mike is deathly afraid to let Phil go. He doesn't want to be the guy who fired a National Title winning coach, only to hire someone who either A) couldn't do any better or B) ended up being worse. Hamilton has just decided to cash-in all his chips with Fulmer, and only the future will tell if this gamble is going to pay off.

I tend to think that Phil is fully aware of the decline of his football team. As a competitive person, I'm sure he also hates losing to UF and Alabama. To be honest, I want to see him succeed again, he wants to see himself succeed again, and he wants to prove that he still has it. I hope he does, because it is clear that if he doesn't we'll be stuck with him for a long time.

exactly. Florida is doing what FSU did back then....i'm sure you've heard the term "cyclical".:thumbsup:

No... FSU and the Gators were both getting top talent in Florida in the 90's. At no time in the 90's was the gap between FSU and Florida as great as it is right now. FSU played a bowl game in San Francisco for goodness sakes.

To be honest, I think Mike is deathly afraid to let Phil go. He doesn't want to be the guy who fired a National Title winning coach, only to hire someone who either A) couldn't do any better or B) ended up being worse. Hamilton has just decided to cash-in all his chips with Fulmer, and only the future will tell if this gamble is going to pay off.

I tend to think that Phil is fully aware of the decline of his football team. As a competitive person, I'm sure he also hates losing to UF and Alabama. To be honest, I want to see him succeed again, he wants to see himself succeed again, and he wants to prove that he still has it. I hope he does, because it is clear that if he doesn't we'll be stuck with him for a long time.

Phil Fulmer and Mike Brown are two peas in a pod.....

VN Store

Back