New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tend to think that Phil is fully aware of the decline of his football team. As a TN native, UT alum, former OG, 28-year coach and competitive person, I'm sure he also hates losing to UF and Alabama. To be honest, I want to see him succeed again, he wants to see himself succeed again, and he wants to prove that he still has it. I hope he does, because it is clear that if he doesn't we'll be stuck with him for a long time.
Fixed it :good!:

Actually one of the full articles says that he'll be 7th even after this contract is implemented... still very much middle of the pack. The only way he climbs out of the middle of the pack is if he wins championships.

Championships? Fulmer? No chance - not in today's SEC. Fulmer's getting paid extremely well to run this program right in to the ground, and the administration and Fulmerites don't care because he got exceptionally lucky ten years ago.

To be honest, I think Mike is deathly afraid to let Phil go. He doesn't want to be the guy who fired a National Title winning coach, only to hire someone who either A) couldn't do any better or B) ended up being worse. Hamilton has just decided to cash-in all his chips with Fulmer, and only the future will tell if this gamble is going to pay off.

I tend to think that Phil is fully aware of the decline of his football team. As a competitive person, I'm sure he also hates losing to UF and Alabama. To be honest, I want to see him succeed again, he wants to see himself succeed again, and he wants to prove that he still has it. I hope he does, because it is clear that if he doesn't we'll be stuck with him for a long time.

If he is too chicken to do his job, then he needs to step down. Don't want to hear anything about the Nebraska situation being in the back of his mind. If he has to throw out cash at a guy that has been mediocre at best in the SEC and has a losing record this decade against the top teams in our conference (Florida, Auburn, LSU) just to avoid having to fire him and make a decision that critical, then he needs to have a press conference right now and announce his resignation.

No... FSU and the Gators were both getting top talent in Florida in the 90's. At no time in the 90's was the gap between FSU and Florida as great as it is right now. FSU played a bowl game in San Francisco for goodness sakes.
fair enough, but i know FL didn't finish in the top 4 12 years in a row like FSU did, and FL didn't win like 11 conf championships in a row or go 4 or 5 years before they lost a conf. game.

FSU was/is arguably the team of the 90's. they were the most consistent team in that decade and dominated it.....

and it also goes to show the depth of talen in that state that FSU could do what they did, and FL could follow suit with one of the most dominant runs in SEC history.

think about other states with comparabe talent levels......CA, TX.....do any of them have multiple schools competing on that kind of level that consistently? no.....so i won't go out and say it's miraculous what they did during the same time period.

and as someone else already brought up....neither had to compete, realistically, with SFL or UCF etc...back then......

FSU also did very well in South GA and had a pipeline coming out of LA.....that has since been cut off due to Saban's arrival in Baton Rouge and Miles has continued that.

neither had to compete, realistically, with SFL or UCF etc...back then......

UF still doesn't compete with either SFL or UCF. Neither of those schools carry nearly the weight, or clout, that UF carries in the state of Florida. I don't know about SFL, but for the time being UCF will still be considered the fall-back choice of people who are either A) Not good enough for or B) cannot get into UF, FSU, or Miami.

I tend to think that Phil is fully aware of the decline of his football team. As a competitive person, I'm sure he also hates losing to UF and Alabama. To be honest, I want to see him succeed again, he wants to see himself succeed again, and he wants to prove that he still has it. I hope he does, because it is clear that if he doesn't we'll be stuck with him for a long time.

Fulmer shows absolutely no signs of being a very competitive person.

If he is too chicken to do his job, then he needs to step down. Don't want to hear anything about the Nebraska situation being in the back of his mind. If he has to throw out cash at a guy that has been mediocre at best in the SEC and has a losing record this decade against the top teams in our conference (Florida, Auburn, LSU) just to avoid having to fire him and make a decision that critical, then he needs to have a press conference right now and announce his resignation.
i'd say he's made a decision. and as for the critical nature of it, how critical is it to fire a guy that just played in the SEC title game and won 10 games?

cause on the surface, that's what it is. regardless of what you or I may think or know about "what really happened" last year.......it was easy to justify this move based on the window dressing of the above.

you can't fire him for last year. and you can't fire him for what you think he might not be able to do in the future. Especially considering how recruiting is going and the coaching change just made etc.......

FSU also did very well in South GA and had a pipeline coming out of LA.....that has since been cut off due to Saban's arrival in Baton Rouge and Miles has continued that.

Hmmm, interesting... Tennessee also had pipelines to La and SC... but upgrades in coaches in those areas have also affected us in recruiting.

All we ever hear from the Fulmer appologists is that he is a great recruiter. Well, recruiting is down overall. Other states are upgrading coaches and keeping more talent in state. And if that isn't enough, these upgrades are now taking the few good prospects that come out of our state. Not just Alabam or Auburn. You now have Georgia threatening in Memphis.

If Fulmer's strength is recruiting and he can't even do that anymore (Clawson may end up bailing him out this season... we will see), then what good is he as a football coach?

Just idiotic. What business gives someone a raise when they have no worry of that someone ever being stolen away or hired by another company.

UF still doesn't compete with either SFL or UCF. Neither of those schools carry nearly the weight, or clout, that UF carries in the state of Florida. I don't know about SFL, but for the time being UCF will still be considered the fall-back choice of people who are either A) Not good enough for or B) cannot get into UF, FSU, or Miami.
Its more about the success of UCF and SF as of late. The better they get the more spread out the talent will get.

UF's not competing with anyone right now. but the guys that FSU might get as secondary prospects, are now the top guys at places at SFL etc....

Fulmer shows absolutely no signs of being a very competitive person.
completely and utterly wrong.

i'd say he's made a decision. and as for the critical nature of it, how critical is it to fire a guy that just played in the SEC title game and won 10 games?

cause on the surface, that's what it is. regardless of what you or I may think or know about "what really happened" last year.......it was easy to justify this move based on the window dressing of the above.

you can't fire him for last year. and you can't fire him for what you think he might not be able to do in the future. Especially considering how recruiting is going and the coaching change just made etc.......

Couldn't agree more. If Ainge doesn't throw that pick in last year's SEC CG, this is a very different thread.

Championships? Fulmer? No chance - not in today's SEC. .

Yeah... I can see what you mean after the eventual SEC and National Champ needed two INT's and two missed FG's to beat UT last year... Fulmer was nowhere close, was he?:eek:k:

In 06, CPF led UT to a close 1 pt loss to the eventual NC then back up to a top 10 ranking before Ainge went down before the LSU and Ark games.:whistling:

Again, I can see why you would think there's "No chance- not in today's SEC".:ermm:

That's probably one of the most baseless comments you've made... and that's saying a ton.

Hmmm, interesting... Tennessee also had pipelines to La and SC... but upgrades in coaches in those areas have also affected us in recruiting.

All we ever hear from the Fulmer appologists is that he is a great recruiter. Well, recruiting is down overall. Other states are upgrading coaches and keeping more talent in state. And if that isn't enough, these upgrades are now taking the few good prospects that come out of our state. Not just Alabam or Auburn. You now have Georgia threatening in Memphis.

If Fulmer's strength is recruiting and he can't even do that anymore (Clawson may end up bailing him out this season... we will see), then what good is he as a football coach?
i think if you look, right now, we're building some excellent momentum in recruiting and despite last year's down year, we are comeing off a top 3 class year before last. this year seems to have the makings of another top 10 class....i don't think the recruiting is going to be a long term issue for us.

2007 W-L Records
LSU 6-2,
TN 6-2, SEC CG Runner Up
GA 6-2
FL 5-3
Auburn 5-3
AR 4-4
MS St 4-4
Bama 4-4
and so on

Where are we 5th place? :crazy:

Teams in red have won NC since 1998. Teams in Red and blue have won SEC titles since 1998. And Arky has been to SECCG 2 since 1998 (Tn has been 3 times).

All those teams have had coaching changes since 1998.

Its more about the success of UCF and SF as of late. The better they get the more spread out the talent will get.

Maybe, but I think the time line for UCF is a lot longer than people realize. They just built a stadium on campus, along with new dorms. This first year was really the only season you could see them trying to become a legit football team, and even then they benefited from a weak C-USA schedule where they failed to beat any decent OOC opponents (including losing to a sturdy Mississippi State team). I think they will suffer greatly when FSU and Miami manage to climb back up the ranks, along with SFL making a decent run. I think as long as Meyer wins at UF, they will always have their pick of the litter.

Just idiotic. What business gives someone a raise when they have no worry of that someone ever being stolen away or hired by another company.

Without respect to Fulmer, any company with integrity will reward loyal employees especially if they don't expect them to jump ship.

Would you rather be Bama- trying to buy a mercenary's loyalty out of fear that they'll follow their previous pattern?

VN Store

Back