New Uniform Pictures

Yep, and I've seen jerseys from last year laid out next to jerseys from the year before and they are identical.

The idea that Dooley changed the orange was a myth.

Hi, I’ve lurked for a long time and have read this color argument over and over again, so I thought I would try to explain color and help with the discussion. You are all correct… sort of…

First, the short explanation: Tennessee orange is officially Pantone PMS 151. The Pantone Corporation is the industry standard for color. All high quality manufacturers will produce UT products in Pantone PMS 151 orange. However, color appears different all the time. Color is very volatile. It reacts with different lighting conditions and everything around it. Color appears different if you see it in person or it is projected from a digital device. Color also appears different to each individual. Tennessee jerseys can be the same color, but appear different according to how/who is viewing. So, you are all correct – UT orange appears different sometimes.

Second, the long explanation for those who are interested: Color is light that is being reflected or projected to the receptors in your eyes. Tennessee home jerseys appear orange when you see them in person because the material is reflecting the orange wavelengths of light and absorbing all of the other colors of the spectrum. Tennessee jerseys appear orange when you see them on your computer or TV because these devices have pixels that are projecting orange light waves to your eyes. So, all colors are just wavelengths of light.

Now we have divided color into two categories: reflected light (physical objects) and projected light (bulbs, computers, TVs, projectors, etc.). Lets start with reflected light. Reflected light creates color from physical things like pigment or dyes. Your UT jersey is orange because white light hits it and the dye in the material reflects orange and absorbs all of the other colors.

Many conditions will affect reflected color. Color will appear different in different lighting conditions: Low light will make your jersey appear a darker orange. High light will make the jersey appear lighter. Natural light and artificial light will affect the appearance of a color. Natural light comes from the sun. Artificial light comes from bulbs (incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, sodium, etc.). The exact same jersey will appear to be a different color of orange in each of these lighting conditions. This is often why the color swatch you selected at the house paint store looks different in your living room than it did when you chose it (not to mention the area painted – the color in a two inch square swatch will look a lot different when you paint it on a 8’ x 12’ wall).

The surrounding colors will also affect the appearance! If orange is surrounded by red it will appear more yellow (lighter). If orange is surrounded by yellow it will appear more red (darker). In short, place one color against another and it will appear different.

How reflective a material is will affect the appearance of a reflected color. The same color will appear different in a semi-gloss paint than it does in a flat paint. That is why the glossy strip on the UT Helmet appears different from the matte jerseys.

Now for projected color: These days pretty much all projected color is digital. That means a device has captured visual information and digitized it. This can be different for every device. Take a picture of your UT jersey with a Nikon camera and another with a Canon and the orange will appear different because the two cameras process the information in different ways.

The same is true for TVs, computers, projectors, etc. These devices process the digitized information being transmitted to them and project the information according to their programming. Compare the colors from one TV to the next when you are in a store that sells TVs. The color will appear different on each set. The same holds true for computers. Graphic designers and photographers employ great effort to calibrate their monitors and printers to produce correct colors, but most people use the factory settings, so unless you have calibrated your monitor correctly (even then you can’t trust the source material), you can’t trust the colors you see on your computer or TV screen.

Lastly, color is unique to the individual. Have you ever had this discussion with a friend or family member: “This shirt is blue.” Reply: “Are you stupid? That shirt is black.” You are both correct. How we perceive color is the result of chemical reactions in the brain. Everyone has a different chemical make-up, so we all see colors a bit differently. We see colors similarly enough that we can all agree that orange is orange, but it might appear a little differently to each of us.

So, again, you are all correct… sort of…

Reactions: 6 people
I guess I'll chime in on the usual year to year pants argument. Give me the orange pants. I can't stand seeing us in all white. We're the big orange. I want to see as much orange on our uniform as possible and the orange pants look superb. I love the orange on white look at home and the white on orange look on the road.

As far as this year's uniform, all I can say is well done Butch! :thumbsup:

I have always thought that the white top and orange bottom look great! prob my fav uni we have!

Reactions: 2 people
Hi, I’ve lurked for a long time and have read this color argument over and over again, so I thought I would try to explain color and help with the discussion. You are all correct… sort of…

First, the short explanation: Tennessee orange is officially Pantone PMS 151. The Pantone Corporation is the industry standard for color. All high quality manufacturers will produce UT products in Pantone PMS 151 orange. However, color appears different all the time. Color is very volatile. It reacts with different lighting conditions and everything around it. Color appears different if you see it in person or it is projected from a digital device. Color also appears different to each individual. Tennessee jerseys can be the same color, but appear different according to how/who is viewing. So, you are all correct – UT orange appears different sometimes.

Second, the long explanation for those who are interested: Color is light that is being reflected or projected to the receptors in your eyes. Tennessee home jerseys appear orange when you see them in person because the material is reflecting the orange wavelengths of light and absorbing all of the other colors of the spectrum. Tennessee jerseys appear orange when you see them on your computer or TV because these devices have pixels that are projecting orange light waves to your eyes. So, all colors are just wavelengths of light.

Now we have divided color into two categories: reflected light (physical objects) and projected light (bulbs, computers, TVs, projectors, etc.). Lets start with reflected light. Reflected light creates color from physical things like pigment or dyes. Your UT jersey is orange because white light hits it and the dye in the material reflects orange and absorbs all of the other colors.

Many conditions will affect reflected color. Color will appear different in different lighting conditions: Low light will make your jersey appear a darker orange. High light will make the jersey appear lighter. Natural light and artificial light will affect the appearance of a color. Natural light comes from the sun. Artificial light comes from bulbs (incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, sodium, etc.). The exact same jersey will appear to be a different color of orange in each of these lighting conditions. This is often why the color swatch you selected at the house paint store looks different in your living room than it did when you chose it (not to mention the area painted – the color in a two inch square swatch will look a lot different when you paint it on a 8’ x 12’ wall).

The surrounding colors will also affect the appearance! If orange is surrounded by red it will appear more yellow (lighter). If orange is surrounded by yellow it will appear more red (darker). In short, place one color against another and it will appear different.

How reflective a material is will affect the appearance of a reflected color. The same color will appear different in a semi-gloss paint than it does in a flat paint. That is why the glossy strip on the UT Helmet appears different from the matte jerseys.

Now for projected color: These days pretty much all projected color is digital. That means a device has captured visual information and digitized it. This can be different for every device. Take a picture of your UT jersey with a Nikon camera and another with a Canon and the orange will appear different because the two cameras process the information in different ways.

The same is true for TVs, computers, projectors, etc. These devices process the digitized information being transmitted to them and project the information according to their programming. Compare the colors from one TV to the next when you are in a store that sells TVs. The color will appear different on each set. The same holds true for computers. Graphic designers and photographers employ great effort to calibrate their monitors and printers to produce correct colors, but most people use the factory settings, so unless you have calibrated your monitor correctly (even then you can’t trust the source material), you can’t trust the colors you see on your computer or TV screen.

Lastly, color is unique to the individual. Have you ever had this discussion with a friend or family member: “This shirt is blue.” Reply: “Are you stupid? That shirt is black.” You are both correct. How we perceive color is the result of chemical reactions in the brain. Everyone has a different chemical make-up, so we all see colors a bit differently. We see colors similarly enough that we can all agree that orange is orange, but it might appear a little differently to each of us.

Cant-Handle-The-Science-Reaction-Gif.gif

Reactions: 9 people
Because you state your opinion and act like it's what the players want, when the truth is you have no idea. I "worship" DP because he actually knows what he's talking about, whereas you pull stuff out of your rear yet pretend like you have some insider info.

And funny, you're obviously butthurt over this yet act like I'm the one with the problem.

Lol, clearly you're the one butthurt! You cant stand it when someone brings up black anything. How in the world did I act like I have insider info? Quote where i said i know what the players want. I said it "seems" they have always prefered black. Anyway, glad you can admit you worship DP. However when you claimed tan was more traditionally correct than black in the unis you ignored that DP said that the unis around 1903, 04 were definitely black and that later on they were either dark gray or indeed black too. Like what you want and quit being so sensitive about the masses that like anything black.

I hope not. I'm all for cancer research, but the pink thing is overdone for all the wrong reasons.

NO PINK!

Reactions: 2 people

Too long so I'll just assume it was good stuff

Reactions: 3 people
Lol, clearly you're the one butthurt! You cant stand it when someone brings up black anything. How in the world did I act like I have insider info? Quote where i said i know what the players want. I said it "seems" they have always prefered black. Anyway, glad you can admit you worship DP. However when you claimed tan was more traditionally correct than black in the unis you ignored that DP said that the unis around 1903, 04 were definitely black and that later on they were either dark gray or indeed black too. Like what you want and quit being so sensitive about the masses that like anything black.

Lol so you said "it seems", based on what? Oh that's right, what you pulled out of your rear end.

And I said said the team wore tan longer than they did black, which is correct. Try again.

I read it all out of respect for the poster because he's obviously been itching to post this for a while and went through the trouble to reg and post.

It's really nothing different than you would learn in any 100 level science class on The Hill. Good stuff though, and the incorporation into the argument was good. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Lol so you said "it seems", based on what? Oh that's right, what you pulled out of your rear end.

And I said said the team wore tan longer than they did black, which is correct. Try again.

That's not what you said and you know it. You argued with every poster who brought up black and said black had no history. Then avoided DPs post cause you can't handle it. You're butthurt because no one likes the tan.

Here we go again, I'm not pulling it out of my rear end, you just want that to be true. It "seems" that way from Fulmers years, kiffin, and twitter. Its brought up on twitter and most SEEM to like black cleats. .You act like twitter doesn't exist just because you don't know what it is. So that's not pulling it out of my rear. That's what you're doing. It's just like the black jersey thing. I said most of the players and recruits like the black, according to twitter, which is where I got ALL the pics I used and you still said I was pulling it out if my ass. Meanwhile you havent seen tan anywhere or from any player, and never will. You just have a problem with reality. Just quit trying.

VN Store

Back