Next game (Links): NCAAT - Sunday 3/31/2024 (2:20pm CBS) Purdue

It’s going to be difficult for the TN staff to prepare for a specific KY attack with that many unknown participants. They can at least work on coming up with something to counter the bully ball clear out at the low post that USCjr kept going with. Otherwise, keep on defending as they have all year and hope that those shots that go halfway down go the rest of the way through the net. And make the dam bunnies and free throws when they are gifted by KY.
play two bigs together and look for a hi/lo post offense too?

play two bigs together and look for a hi/lo post offense too?

Might not want to let it get too congested in the paint so Knecht can work with more real estate. But they (UT’s staff) need to come up with something to stop thick, opposing bigs from pounding their way to the rim. I guess the ref’s interpretation of what is and isn’t a foul will be the biggest variable the rest of this season.

Might not want to let it get too congested in the paint so Knecht can work with more real estate. But they (UT’s staff) need to come up with something to stop thick, opposing bigs from pounding their way to the rim. I guess the ref’s interpretation of what is and isn’t a foul will be the biggest variable the rest of this season.
Not a stretch to say Awaka is our best option to defend post bully ball.

Not a stretch to say Awaka is our best option to defend post bully ball.

Unfortunately he’d foul out quickly and they’d be shooting lots of free throws. I just don’t think we have much in the way of post defense this year. Aidoo (too thin), Awaka (too short), Estrella and Phillips (not mature), and JJJ (kind of thin and short) are the options. If the whistles and non whistles continue into the NCAAT this year, Edey and PU will be unstoppable.

Unfortunately he’d foul out quickly and they’d be shooting lots of free throws. I just don’t think we have much in the way of post defense this year. Aidoo (too thin), Awaka (too short), Estrella and Phillips (not mature), and JJJ (kind of thin and short) are the options. If the whistles and non whistles continue into the NCAAT this year, Edey and PU will be unstoppable.
Not sure if Awaka would foul too much defending post bully ball - remember how he came in and neutralized Burns of NC St late in the game?

Not sure if Awaka would foul too much defending post bully ball - remember how he came in and neutralized Burns of NC St late in the game?

Going to depend on refs’ interpretation of what’s a foul. Since Tuesday night I’ve been really worried that there’s now that loophole being exploited and UT is exposed. We need to draw some opponents in the NCAAT with scrawny post presences.

Burns is big, but also kind of soft for his size IIRC. A back to the basket body but his skill set favors more of a face the basket style of offense.

I don’t know why Awaka is so foul prone. Maybe refs don’t like him? Maybe he’s slow? Maybe he’s undisciplined and reaches? Maybe he’s too short and is overcompensating by pushing too much? We need his physicality.

It might could work better versus KY since they won’t be bleeding out every possession like USCjr did.

Keeping KY from spamming 3's will be the key tomorrow, much the same way we did against Bama. They want to run and shoot 3's, not pound the ball, so chasing them off the 3 pt. line will be huge. This is actually a game where that small ball lineup might pay off.

Keeping KY from spamming 3's will be the key tomorrow, much the same way we did against Bama. They want to run and shoot 3's, not pound the ball, so chasing them off the 3 pt. line will be huge. This is actually a game where that small ball lineup might pay off.

I hope so. USCjr’s successful game plan has really triggered me. Not so much Purdue, Kansas, or UNC as their bigs were exceptional. The cocks killed us with just some random fat guy bumping his way to the basket.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Need rim protection - no small ball with JJJ at the 5 please!

I hope so. USCjr’s successful game plan has really triggered me. Not so much Purdue, Kansas, or UNC as their bigs were exceptional. The cocks killed us with just some random fat guy bumping his way to the basket.
So you think it was SC’s game plan that caused us to miss so many bunnies and free throws? And, Mack only burned us when we didn’t play a traditional 5

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
So you think it was SC’s game plan that caused us to miss so many bunnies and free throws? And, Mack only burned us when we didn’t play a traditional 5

Their game plan could have contributed to so many failures on the offensive end. By making it such a low number of possessions TN’s players gagging at the FTL and at the rim was especially bad.

The missed free throws and easy baskets compounded TN’s struggles and contributed to the success of their game plan. Those misses prevented UT from jumping into full court pressure and affecting the slow as molasses pace. Their clear out and bully their way to the rim was methodical and fit the tempo that they owned.

My BVS tells me that Ivisic will have his career night.
Yeah. TN lacks post play against big men. Aidoo isn’t strong enough and Awaka lacks height and fouls. Estrella is too inexperienced but will probably need to give us 7-10 min if Aidoo gets into foul trouble.

Last edited:
Kentucky has lost consecutive games at home just once in 15 years.

I don’t have a good feeling. They’re fighting for their regular season life. 4 losses with 2 at Rupp and they’re done as far as an SEC regular season championship. And they own about as many of those as all the other conference members combined.

VN Store

Back