Next game (Links): NCAAT - Sunday 3/31/2024 (2:20pm CBS) Purdue

I suspect Kentucky will be scorching hot shooting the ball tomorrow night. We will have to be clicking on offense in a big way. May need 35+ from DK to have a chance.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Their clear out and bully their way to the rim was methodical and fit the tempo that they owned.
Please remind us of when this happened outside of the 3 possessions at the end when we tried to play without a 5 as I can’t recall Mack doing that against our 5’s.

As for the rest SC did slow things down below our normal tempo, but IMO it had nothing to do with our atrocious bunny shooting along with terrible free throws.
JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

Please remind us of when this happened outside of the 3 possessions at the end when we tried to play without a 5 as I can’t recall Mack doing that against our 5’s.

As for the rest SC did slow things down below our normal tempo, but IMO it had nothing to do with our atrocious bunny shooting along with terrible free throws.
JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

I’ll remind you that the 3 made late in the paint is a third of all of their 2 point conversions all night. And how many of their 10x 3s came after their posts bumping their way to the rim? And how many of their 18 made free throws and 16 fouls on TN were a result of the bully ball strategy?

Barnes is 10-9 versus KY while at UT. But we went 0-2 last year - the only year that Barnes didn’t beat KY at least once (he won twice in three of his 8 years here). Tyndall, Cuonzo, Bruce, and Buzz were a combined 6-22 versus KY (Bruce win 4x).

Mears (15-15)(50.0%)
Devoe (11-12)(47.8%)
Barnes (10-9)(52.6%)
Pearl (4-9)(30.8%)
Green (3-5)(37.5%)
Houston (3-8)(27.3%)
Martin (1-4)(20.0%)
Buzz (1-8)(11.1%)
Tyndall (0-1)(0.0%)
Wettig (0-2)(0.0%)
O’Neill (0-6)(0.0%)
(48-79)(37.8%)

Saturday night, Barnes is going to either catch Devoe for UT’s 2nd winningest coach versus Kentucky -or- give up being the ONLY UT coach (since Mears) with a winning record versus Kentucky.

I suspect Kentucky will be scorching hot shooting the ball tomorrow night. We will have to be clicking on offense in a big way. May need 35+ from DK to have a chance.
Really? …pass that over here.. 👈
Game will play out according to the World According to the Vegas $$$

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself. 😇

My bet would be Barnes gets them snapped back in and they are letting open shots fly confidently!

Reactions: knoxvol52
The game basically boils down to this - Can Vescovi and Aidoo play the entire first
half without getting 2 fouls?

Although not as flashy as Knecth and his 25 or 30 points, if we can't get better
production from one or 2 of the above mentioned, then we can't win. Knecht can
score 35 and we still lose if our post play disappears again.

Reactions: walkenvol
The game basically boils down to this - Can Vescovi and Aidoo play the entire first

Although not as flashy as Knecth and his 25 or 30 points, if we can't get better
Funny how no one mentions JJJ. He's become the invisible man....again.

Mears beat KY 5 consecutive times after Bernard’s first game versus them. King said he wouldn’t lose to them again after a KY fan flipped a lit cigarette into his afro after that loss in Lexington. He was correct.

Devoe beat KY 4 straights games including 3x in 1979.

Barnes lost to KY in the finals of the 2018 SECT. Had he won it would have been just the second time that UT had beaten KY 3x in one season. At least in the modern era version of the SECT.

I don’t know if ANY other basketball team has beaten KY 3x in one season. Maybe one of CBD’s 2x UF national championship teams?

KY is clearly beatable... they've lost at home already a few times. But can we get past our mental issues and come out confident and hit our shots? We play anything like SC at HOME and we'll be run out of Rupp... We have all this talent, depth, and capability... but with Barnes, year after year, game after game, will it show up or not? Who knows...

Reactions: Tnphil
It's time for his next fools gold hot streak. He has to get our hopes up one more time before he tanks in the postseason again.

He missed one post season with a knee injury and surgery and there wasn’t a postseason during one of his 4 previous years… but okay.

KY is clearly beatable... they've lost at home already a few times. But can we get past our mental issues and come out confident and hit our shots? We play anything like SC at HOME and we'll be run out of Rupp... We have all this talent, depth, and capability... but with Barnes, year after year, game after game, will it show up or not? Who knows...

One thing is reasonably expected. Knecht has thrived in the hostile environments.

If I’m an opposing coach, I’m getting the ball to whoever Knecht is guarding early in the game and forcing him to guard without fouling. If he gets in foul trouble and has to sit for an extended period of time, we’re worse off than having Vescovi or Aidoo sit. Let’s hope that ain’t the case but we are going to be playing in Rupp. Knecht may walk into that building with 2 fouls already on him.

Mears beat KY 5 consecutive times after Bernard’s first game versus them. King said he wouldn’t lose to them again after a KY fan flipped a lit cigarette into his afro after that loss in Lexington. He was correct.

Devoe beat KY 4 straights games including 3x in 1979.

Barnes lost to KY in the finals of the 2018 SECT. Had he won it would have been just the second time that UT had beaten KY 3x in one season. At least in the modern era version of the SECT.

I don’t know if ANY other basketball team has beaten KY 3x in one season. Maybe one of CBD’s 2x UF national championship teams?
The 1978-79 Vols remain the only team ever to beat Kentucky three times in a single season.

The 1978-79 Vols remain the only team ever to beat Kentucky three times in a single season.

Kentucky has been pretty good since 1979 so I figured Devoe might be the only one to do it. It would almost have to be another SEC team during one of the runs of the SECT. Probably would have had to have been Bama or LSU. Or Florida during Billy’s tenure.

I didn’t go back and look through the John Mauer years. Mears didn’t have the SECT so he didn’t have much of an opportunity to do it 3x.

Mears (15-15)(50.0%)
Devoe (11-12)(47.8%)
Barnes (10-9)(52.6%)
Pearl (4-9)(30.8%)
Green (3-5)(37.5%)
Houston (3-8)(27.3%)
Martin (1-4)(20.0%)
Buzz (1-8)(11.1%)
Tyndall (0-1)(0.0%)
Wettig (0-2)(0.0%)
O’Neill (0-6)(0.0%)
(48-79)(37.8%)

Saturday night, Barnes is going to either catch Devoe for UT’s 2nd winningest coach versus Kentucky -or- give up being the ONLY UT coach (since Mears) with a winning record versus Kentucky.

Barnes is now 11-9 against Kentucky while Calipari is 21-16 against Tennessee.

Tennessee has beaten Calipari the most in his coaching career.

Yeah. TN lacks post play against big men. Aidoo isn’t strong enough and Awaka lacks height and fouls. Estrella is too inexperienced but will probably need to give us 7-10 min if Aidoo gets into foul trouble.
Awaka came through tonight with about five boards and and I think 4-6 points. Post play still concerns me if we play a team team that utilizes their big men. We saw what Jr, Purdue, and Kansas did against us. But I’m so happy for this win and extremely happy for JJJ.

Tonight was the 3rd victory for Santi @ Rupp. Not a bad avg out of five attempts. And tonight was ZZ’ fire twin @ Rupp. So happy for the players and Barnes, too.

LSU:
Looks like the biggest concern is 2 upperclassmen guards that each average about 15ppg.

Jordan Wright - 6’5” 226
Jalen Cook - 6’0” 205

They have lot of players in a balanced rotation. Balanced stats.

A couple of bigs:
Will Baker - 6’11” 240
Jalen Reed - 6’10” 230

LSU:
Looks like the biggest concern is 2 upperclassmen guards that each average about 15ppg.

Jordan Wright - 6’5” 226
Jalen Cook - 6’0” 205

They have lot of players in a balanced rotation. Balanced stats.

A couple of bigs:
Will Baker - 6’11” 240
Jalen Reed - 6’10” 230
I think this is going to be another higher scoring affair. LSU looks to get out and run the floor but that tends to work in our favor. This year it seems like our offense gets a boost when opponents come in and want to play an up-tempo style. The one thing that benefits us is that we can run and gun with a lot of teams but we also have a defense that can back it up. Some of these other teams just try to outscore you and don’t have a defense to fall back on to save them. I do like what McMahon is doing at LSU tho. I think if they give him another year or two, he’ll have them inching closer to the top half of the SEC.

I know the final 4 games of the season will be the biggest determining factor on how the SEC standings shake out and where we end up being seeded. But that Texas A&M and Arkansas road stretch coming up will be huge to come out of 2-0. If we win both of those, there’s a solid opportunity to go 6-0 leading up to the Auburn game at home.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back