Nico to start the bowl game? Confirmed

When was the last time the vols started a true freshman in a bowl game? Clausen at the cotton bowl against Kansas State? The only other true freshman I can think of starting would be Peyton against the Hokies.

Expect Nico to struggle but that will be okay. Will prepare him for next season like it did for Casey and Peyton who had stellar sophomore seasons. Rather Nico throw several picks in this game and learn from it than doing it in Norman next year

Reactions: joevol33
When was the last time the vols started a true freshman in a bowl game? Clausen at the cotton bowl against Kansas State? The only other true freshman I can think of starting would be Peyton against the Hokies.

Expect Nico to struggle but that will be okay. Will prepare him for next season like it did for Casey and Peyton who had stellar sophomore seasons. Rather Nico throw several picks in this game and learn from it than doing it in Norman next year
Bray in the Music City (2010) IIRC.

Hopefully it will be a good learning experience for him. If he has a really good game, it might even help recruiting and sway a late signer or transfer to pick the Vols.

Last edited:
He's starting in the NFL. Geez

I made my point and you desperately bring up one game. What about all the good games? How about winning in Philadelphia earlier thus year? Doesn't fit the old agenda?
I'm sorry, but what I seen from him Monday night was bad. Maybe it was just a one time bad game?

Gonna be a difficult first start against a very veteran, stout defense and probably the most disciplined defense in the nation. Be careful what you wish for.
It's a perfect moment. A stout, disciplined defense, to gain experience against and a game where it doesn't matter if they win or lose.

Sure...
Joe Opt'd out. That's what I said all along. What team has started a season starting QB that didn't opt out or was injured?
Nothing has changed from my previous comment but I guess you knew that in your quest to try and be right, yet you struck out again
😂😂😂 some people just can’t be wrong, huh? It was always worth discussing. Eat your crow and GBO!!

Reactions: joevols89
I'm sorry, but what I seen from him Monday night was bad. Maybe it was just a one time bad game?
If you are speaking about Brock Purdy then yeah that was just a one-off bad game. He is 1st in QBR, 2nd in passing yards, and 2nd in passing TD. He had a 29:7 TD to INT ratio going into that game. Lamar Jackson may end up winning the MVP but Purdy will be getting some votes. Also, this is only his first full season starting. More than half of NFL teams would trade their QB for Purdy in a heartbeat. There is a reason the 49ers traded away Trey Lance after they gave up so much draft capital to trade up and select him.

This is going to be interesting with Nico starting. His first start comes in the Citrus Bowl against the Big 10 runner-up. He hasn’t had any meaningful snaps all year. This is the stuff legends are made of … We’ll see if he and the rest of the Vols are up to it.
My biggest fear is for him to have an outing like Klubnik had against us in the Orange Bowl. The most crucial thing for us will be for the OL to protect Nico and give him the best chance to shine

Reactions: Chad F
Basilio has said for a couple of weeks that, according to his sources at UT, the coaching staff has encouraged Joe to focus on getting himself ready for the combine and the Senior Bowl. Joe doesn't seem to have taken the bait and is intent on playing. Will be up to CJH how many snaps Joe actually gets, but this is exactly the type of game where Nico should get a lot of snaps, get his feet wet and the bowl game is really of no consequence. It would look really good though, if Nico came out, lit up their D and we won it going away.
If this is true, it sounds like Milton was being pushed out the door, so Nico could finally get some much needed playing time.

Personal opinion, but Joe wanted to start this game and have a good first series to help improve his draft stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
If this is true, it sounds like Milton was being pushed out the door, so Nico could finally get some much needed playing time.

Personal opinion, but Joe wanted to start this game and have a good first series to help improve his draft stock.
Based on?

What could one drive possibly do to improve draft stock?

Based on?

What could one drive possibly do to improve draft stock?
I figure it could be used as another clip in the highlight video that gets sent to all the NFL scouts. Just like with a resume, you want to showcase all your past accomplishments.

😂😂😂 some people just can’t be wrong, huh? It was always worth discussing. Eat your crow and GBO!!
I don't mind eating crow when I'm wrong but you know what I said and what I said still holds true.
I'll stop engaging you because you'll win with experience.

Reactions: NomadVol

VN Store

Back