Nico to start the bowl game? Confirmed

Why would he opt out? He’s not a high (or even 2nd day) draft prospect at this point.
There's no reason for him to opt out but since this thread is about Nico starting the game.
I'm saying it's only acceptable IMO for Nico to start if Joe opts out or is hurt.

I dont think AP would have mentioned it on VQ and said the same thing on the radio today if it wasn’t a possibility. AP also said UT would keep it close to the vest until a few days before regardless of Milton’s decision. This could be a case of Milton “opting out” but still practicing and even dressing in case of emergency

It's a losing mentality to start Joe simply because "he's from that area" or "he earned it."

He's had two chances at being the starter for this program. This first was a failure. The second, some of you might not consider it a failure, but he fell short of his goal to win the East, and falling short of your goals = failure.

The future is now. Loyalty in this scenario is what losing programs do. You think Saban was worried about hurting Jalen Hurts' feelings when he benched him and shipped him off for Tua? Get your young talent experience in a meaningless game. We've got a 2-3 window with our "franchise" QB. Why would now not be the time to invest everything into making a run in '24, '25, '26?

Reactions: JCVol00
I would be surprised if Milton played very long, even if it's close. He will start the game because he is from the area and his family and friends will get the opportunity to see him play in-person. But I would expect Nico to take over at least after half time, if not before.
Please provide your 27 page narrative and sources that has allowed you to come up with this. Thanks

It's a losing mentality to start Joe simply because "he's from that area" or "he earned it."

He's had two chances at being the starter for this program. This first was a failure. The second, some of you might not consider it a failure, but he fell short of his goal to win the East, and falling short of your goals = failure.

The future is now. Loyalty in this scenario is what losing programs do. You think Saban was worried about hurting Jalen Hurts' feelings when he benched him and shipped him off for Tua? Get your young talent experience in a meaningless game. We've got a 2-3 window with our "franchise" QB. Why would now not be the time to invest everything into making a run in '24, '25, '26?
I'll ask you the same question I asked in another thread and above. Other than a Championship Bowl game. What top tier team sits their season starting QB that isn't injured and plays the potential next season QB.

All I been reading here the last few days with the portal is about how these kids have no loyalty or in a thread about who backs up Nico next year about kids not wanting to come sit behind him. Yet Joe sticks around and is the type of team mate you'd want to have yet it's nothing but he's gotta go. Never mind the fact his WR's and play calling didn't help him out much. BTW this program has had 3 straight winning seasons.

Bowl games outside of the playoff is a reward to the team for having a winning season.

AP has said elsewhere that it is Milton's decision whether to play. His reference in the post is that Milton still hasn't decided whether to Opt Out or not, and if he does, then NICO will play. It's up to JOE.

Reactions: FBtime
I’ve been as frustrated with Joe as much as the next fan, but I don’t see Nico starting over him for the bowl game. Perhaps a more deliberate rotation (along the lines of what we could/should have done at certain points during the regular season) but not an outright start over Milton,

I'll ask you the same question I asked in another thread and above. Other than a Championship Bowl game. What top tier team sits their season starting QB that isn't injured and plays the potential next season QB.

All I been reading here the last few days with the portal is about how these kids have no loyalty or in a thread about who backs up Nico next year about kids not wanting to come sit behind him. Yet Joe sticks around and is the type of team mate you'd want to have yet it's nothing but he's gotta go. Never mind the fact his WR's and play calling didn't help him out much. BTW this program has had 3 straight winning seasons.

Bowl games outside of the playoff is a reward to the team for having a winning season.
He's a great guy. Great teammate. Below average SEC QB. And no one will care about bowl games going forward just so we're clear. 12-man playoff or bust will determine success at a program like Tennessee.

Top tier teams are in championship bowls. Top tier teams have QB's that are good enough to opt-out to avoid injury. We are not a top tier team, and Joe is not a coveted NFL QB. Clemson ran off DJ Ukelele last year because of below average play and started Klubnik against us in the Orange Bowl. Don't act like it's never been done. If you're more interested in winning a Citrus Bowl against Iowa than preparing to make a playoff run in 2024, we can agree to disagree.

Assuming Milton plays, I think there's little to NO chance he doesn't. He plays probably 91.6666% of the game. Nico and the other guy come in with 5 minutes on the clock. Since we're all giving "opinions" I'm putting mine out there.

He's a great guy. Great teammate. Below average SEC QB. And no one will care about bowl games going forward just so we're clear. 12-man playoff or bust will determine success at a program like Tennessee.

Top tier teams are in championship bowls. Top tier teams have QB's that are good enough to opt-out to avoid injury. We are not a top tier team, and Joe is not a coveted NFL QB. Clemson ran off DJ Ukelele last year because of below average play and started Klubnik against us in the Orange Bowl. Don't act like it's never been done. If you're more interested in winning a Citrus Bowl against Iowa than preparing to make a playoff run in 2024, we can agree to disagree.
You still didn’t name a team that sat their season starting QB in order to start the next year QB. I’ll wait.
I got news for you. Unless our D makes a big jump we’re not making a playoff run in 2024 especially since there are no more divisions in the SEC and OK and TX are joining. 2025 is earliest I’d expect us to make a legit playoff run

You still didn’t name a team that sat their season starting QB in order to start the next year QB. I’ll wait.
I got news for you. Unless our D makes a big jump we’re not making a playoff run in 2024 especially since there are no more divisions in the SEC and OK and TX are joining. 2025 is earliest I’d expect us to make a legit playoff run
To act like it's never happened is just foolish. I don't really care when you think we can make a playoff run, but top 12 in the country should be the goal every single year. Unless you like winning Citrus Bowls of course because that's the only thing we have to gain by starting Joe.

Assuming Milton plays, I think there's little to NO chance he doesn't. He plays probably 91.6666% of the game. Nico and the other guy come in with 5 minutes on the clock. Since we're all giving "opinions" I'm putting mine out there.
I think Milton gets a "curtain call" around the end of the 3rd quarter if we've got the game under control.

Because the Iowa defense is so tough and their offense is so lame, we might all be asleep by halftime unfortunately.

The only guys who really enjoy the game may be the punters.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Well, Austin Price put a big "but I could be wrong" sort of buffer on the front of his pronouncement: "I don't think it's far-fetched to believe...."

That is hardly saying anything is for certain.

And even if you put that fluff to the side, the core of his statement is still not very definitive: "the time has come for the Nico show."

Doesn't say Nico starts.

Doesn't say Nico gets more snaps than Joe.

All it really implies is that we're going to see more of Nico in this bowl game than we've seen yet this year.

And that fits entirely with what I would do if I were coach: give Joe the first half--tell him up front it is his victory lap, to make the most of it. And the second half belongs to Nico, no matter what the scoreboard says, to shift the program into thinking about the future; to begin the transition to the 2024 Vols.

An entire half belonging to Nico would certainly qualify as "time for the Nico show."

Go Vols!
This analysis in in line with Doug Mathews "Big Orange Sunday". He gives credence to the fact that this game has no real meaning - a win or a loss means little. Now, I will say he was harping on the defensive backfield more than the Nico-Joe situation. I agree with you JP - Yank Joe at halftime and at that time, check your calendar. It says 2024.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
To act like it's never happened is just foolish. I don't really care when you think we can make a playoff run, but top 12 in the country should be the goal every single year. Unless you like winning Citrus Bowls of course because that's the only thing we have to gain by starting Joe.
Yes it probably has happened. The point is that it so rarely happens that it's not worth discussing

Reactions: Sara Clark

VN Store

Back