Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

It's now officially called the Nintendo "Switch." It IS a handheld/home console hybrid!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884[/youtube]

CvN378kWYAAVdH9.jpg

NX_Partners.jpg

CvN3Q4xW8AAEdc5.jpg

Confirmed to be powered by NVIDIA Tegra technology.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.
But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.
A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.
The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.
Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.
We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.
NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.
The Nintendo Switch will be available in March 2017. More information is available at https://www.nintendo.com/switch.
Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo.

Last edited:
Well, it looks pretty cool, as far as the actual console itself. But I'm going to bet it's still going to end up being a gen behind as far as game power it can play.

I'm more interested in if they are going to let you move over your Wii U digital purchases.

That video didn't do anything to change my mind. It'll take games to move it and I still question if devs will continue to support it after the initial launch. CPU power is a concern, too.

Music was good. I like White Denim.

They almost got this right at least lol, but the Switch looks cooler than I had imagined it would. Seems like a lot of s**t for kids to break though.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 3
They almost got this right at least lol, but the Switch looks cooler than I had imagined it would. Seems like a lot of s**t for kids to break though.

Never mind, that's the WiiU controller. THIS is the Switch controller and it looks amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1728.PNG
    IMG_1728.PNG
    191.4 KB · Views: 5
That video didn't do anything to change my mind. It'll take games to move it and I still question if devs will continue to support it after the initial launch. CPU power is a concern, too.

Music was good. I like White Denim.

Insiders are saying that Switch performance is basically within the X1/PS4 ball park. Only with the added bonus of being able to play on the go.

Insiders are saying that Switch performance is basically within the X1/PS4 ball park. Only with the added bonus of being able to play on the go.

It has to be, right?

But even then, that's on it's way out with Scorpio next year and presumably another PS update after that.

Not a terrible idea but I just don't see it being very well supported after a year or two when MS and Sony are pushing next gen machines.

Blu Ray discs on PS4/X1 can hold up to 50gb. They have up to 1 TB flash cards now.

Holy crap. Well that's awesome. I wonder how they'll keep people from pirating? Almost every SD game since the DS has been made into a Rom upon release. With an R4 ordered from China, you can have every DS and most every 3DS game downloaded in a day.

It has to be, right?

But even then, that's on it's way out with Scorpio next year and presumably another PS update after that.

Not a terrible idea but I just don't see it being very well supported after a year or two when MS and Sony are pushing next gen machines.

Not true because both Sony and MS are insisting that developers keep their games forward compatible with the original X1 and PS4 models. Any games those systems get, the Switch can get as well.

Holy crap. Well that's awesome. I wonder how they'll keep people from pirating? Almost every SD game since the DS has been made into a Rom upon release. With an R4 ordered from China, you can have every DS and most every 3DS game downloaded in a day.

Obviously I don't think Switch games will need a 1 TB card. I THINK I read somewhere that on average the Switch cards will be around 32GB but of course that's totally scalable so if a game only needs 8gb or 16gb, they can use that as well.

Regarding piracy, good question. I'm sure Nintendo will attempt to put some kind of security in place to quell it as much as they can. However It may just be a case where Nintendo is willing to take the risk in the interest of functionality. Obviously they wouldn't be able to use optical media on a hybrid system. .

Last edited:
I watched the video again and I didn't notice any online play? I saw a bunch of hanging out in public with friends - something I'm not likely to do. Did I miss something or have they not mentioned online functionality?

I watched the video again and I didn't notice any online play? I saw a bunch of hanging out in public with friends - something I'm not likely to do. Did I miss something or have they not mentioned online functionality?

I wouldn't worry. It would be complete suicide not to include online. Hell the 3DS has online functionality. I'm sure the Switch will have it too.

One thing that has me very optimistic about the Switch is given the nature of the system and now that Nintendo has merged their hand held and home console development studios under one umbrella, they only have to worry about developing for one platform instead of two. This will greatly proliferate the amount of games coming out on the system and we shouldn't be seeing those really long dry periods between releases. Add to that improved 3rd party support and the Switch should have a very robust library of games to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't worry. It would be complete suicide not to include online. Hell the 3DS has online functionality. I'm sure the Switch will have it too.

One thing that has me very optimistic about the Switch is given the nature of the system and now that Nintendo has merged their hand held and home console development studios under one umbrella, they only have to worry about developing for one platform instead of two. This will greatly proliferate the amount of games coming out on the system and we shouldn't be seeing those really long dry periods between releases.

Yeah, I'm glad they seem to be merging the systems. And with Dark Souls being on the system definitely ensures there will be online play.

One thing that has me very optimistic about the Switch is given the nature of the system and now that Nintendo has merged their hand held and home console development studios under one umbrella, they only have to worry about developing for one platform instead of two. This will greatly proliferate the amount of games coming out on the system and we shouldn't be seeing those really long dry periods between releases. Add to that improved 3rd party support and the Switch should have a very robust library of games to choose from.

Well yes and no. I think they are going to jump head first into mobile device gaming with their first party franchises.

If we start seeing 3rd party games that are on the Xbox One and PS4 on the Switch, then I'll have a good feeling about it. But if the bigger third party games like COD, Madden, etc. don't come to the Switch, then it's going to be tough going.

Well yes and no. I think they are going to jump head first into mobile device gaming with their first party franchises.

I can't say for certain VSF, but I think I read somewhere that Nintendo's mobile development is a completely separate division from the handheld/console division. Don't quote me on it, I'll have to go back and verify but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Is mobile gaming that big in the U.S.? I know it's huge in Japan. I never see anyone playing games on the go. Seems like people would rather check Twitter and other social media feeds than play games.

Is mobile gaming that big in the U.S.? I know it's huge in Japan. I never see anyone playing games on the go. Seems like people would rather check Twitter and other social media feeds than play games.

Games on phones and pads yes. Handheld systems, not nearly as much as it used to be.

Games on phones and pads yes. Handheld systems, not nearly as much as it used to be.

Yeah, it seems like smartphones for adults and tablets for kids have killed handheld consoles. It's just another device to lug around now. When I was a kid, a Gameboy was a lifesaver on vacations and road trips. Now I would imagine most kids just fire up their iPads to play games and watch movies.

Yeah, it seems like smartphones for adults and tablets for kids have killed handheld consoles. It's just another device to lug around now. When I was a kid, a Gameboy was a lifesaver on vacations and road trips. Now I would imagine most kids just fire up their iPads to play games and watch movies.

My 6 year old loves his 3DS. No way in hell would I trust him to play on my 700.00 phone.

Last edited:
My 6 year old loves his 3DS. No way in hell would I trust him to play on my 700.00 phone.

I see a ton of kids with smartphones nowadays. Tablets are probably more common for the under 10 crowd though. My fiancee's niece didn't understand how to turn the pages of a book when she was very little--she tried swiping at them like a tablet.

VN Store

Back