Non Citizens Voting

Apparently, in spite all your smartness, you missed the point of my comment. A migrant worker probably would not meet residency requirements and not be able to vote. I'm surprised I had to explain that to such a smart guy.

I’m surprised you bothered posting on the topic if you were just going to tap dance.

Reactions: NEVolFan
Is is alright for local officials that are not citizens to accept federal funding from citizen taxpayers?
What are you talking about? Nobody is even talking about non-citizens running for office or becoming local officials. This is about non-citizens voting. And I'm talking about what is allowed under law or not.

City X says, anyone who has lived here for x time can vote for city government.

What is the fundamental harm caused by a non-US citizen voting?

So you're okay with the tomato pickers local deciding the Grainger county election before they move on to Vidalia Georgia?

If the people of grainger county decided they want the tomato pickers to vote.

Because the people of City X decided they want to include them in the City X election process? Doesn't mean the state or feds have to let them vote in their elections.

That’s fine. Doesn’t mean I have to agree with it. I think it’s wrong.

May as well not have borders or immigration laws... something most libertarians would probably love along with liberals.

City X says, anyone who has lived here for x time can vote for city government.

What is the fundamental harm caused by a non-US citizen voting?
Is your question legitimate? There are hundreds of catastrophic senecios and I suspect you’ll see some in NYC soon.
The fire in NYC was a building mostly inhabited by Africans of the Muslim faith. Since many local elections are decided by only a few hundred votes do you think that a group raised in a non-democracy will have the wherewithal to properly exercise the vote after being here 30 days? Bribery will be rampant.
If they want to vote, go through the process to become a citizen

That’s fine. Doesn’t mean I have to agree with it. I think it’s wrong.
I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other. I'm just trying to determine if there's a strong reason against it, other than the typical immigrant resentment stuff.

So far I haven't seen it.

do you think that a group raised in a non-democracy will have the wherewithal to properly exercise the vote after being here 30 days? Bribery will be rampant.
What should be required? A one-year course on how to vote?

Because the people of City X decided they want to include them in the City X election process? Doesn't mean the state or feds have to let them vote in their elections.
The people of NYC didn’t vote a referendum, the council approved it and the mayor didn’t even sign it.

VN Store

Back