Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Also, the fact that Edwards had no foul calls last night is insane. She hooks players on every single possession. Also does a lot of sneaky pushing in the back when she’s out of position. She’s a huge whiner and a pretty dirty player really.

She was protesting with the official after an out of bounds call when she very clearly had the ND player hooked and was holding almost at mid court. The audacity.
You don't know crap, just a one-track mind because you hate UConn. Edwards is a great player and will do well in the WNBA. She is not a dirty player, she plays tough which is what your post player is supposed to do. If she hooks players on every position, she would be called for it. If she does "sneaky" pushing, she would be called for it. She plays the position like it should be played. Any team would be glad to have that type of player on their roster.

Even though what she said was true (better talent), you don't go telling someone something like that. I guess next year she better put up or shut up. She just put a lot of pressure on herself.
Worry about UCONN. If you believe that it says a lot about you. Are you that narrow minded?

In this case, Talaysia Cooper should’ve transferred to UCONN where she’s more talented than some of those freshman your team is relying on and get beat to sleep when facing any decent team.

A group of players averaging 5ppg-10ppg on SC team and not even ranked significantly higher than a former 5-star McD All-American isn’t making no player transfer after the portal window.. have common sense.

It’s more to that story which is irrelevant and only being talked about today cause you fans from other schools can’t stand the fact Talaysia Cooper even transferred to Tennessee. If she had gone to North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Duke, Georgia, or Ole Miss all teams that had offered in HS I’m 100% certain this wouldn’t even be a conversation.

Trying to constantly push that narrative is stupid.

Last edited:
VT jumped on the Cuse big early @Syracuse, but the Orange won’t die, they coming back strong. What a coaching job this year by the Syracuse coach, she built a nice program at Buffalo and is a good coach. Currently atop the ACC which is just incredible even if it doesn’t hold up.

Amoore the Aussie is fun to watch, one of my fav players in WBB. UNC appears to be rounding into shape, they are a tough team, 3 close losses early in season and the loss to UConn by ten but mostly they are built on grit and hang with everyone. I think Banghart is doing a good job there, she seems to be building it.

Are analytical ratings like Massey affected by UConn being in their conference also ? The idea doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
Marquette, now #31 in Massey, beat Arkansas by 15 on a neutral court, earlier this year.
The Big East is ranked as the #6 conference. The SEC is a much stronger conference and ranked #2 by Massey.
But that doesn't mean that 2 or 3 of the Bid East teams can't be decent.
I don't understand why posters here can't allow for that possibility.
I agree with you. I think Creighton is a top 25 team, and Marquette is borderline/probably not top 25, but definitely top 50. And you're right that most analytical ratings agree. Creighton is #25 in the NET, #22 at Massey, #22 at Her Hoop Stats, and #16 in ELO rankings. They have more Q1 NET wins than we do...and many of their same starters today led that team to the elite 8 just two years ago (e.g, 4 of their current starters played 23 minutes or more in their upset on Iowa's homecourt in the 2nd round).

Marquette is #33 in the NET, #32 at Massey, #34 at Her Hoop Stats, and #39 in ELO rankings. Their non-con SOS was 223rd in the NCAA so their early wins and NET rating were probably inflated. That win over Illinois looked a lot better at the beginning of the season when everyone thought Illinois was a team on the rise and would be a solid top 25 this year, and now they're 8-10.

I agree with you. I think Creighton is a top 25 team, and Marquette is borderline/probably not top 25, but definitely top 50. And you're right that most analytical ratings agree. Creighton is #25 in the NET, #22 at Massey, #22 at Her Hoop Stats, and #16 in ELO rankings. They have more Q1 NET wins than we do...and many of their same starters today led that team to the elite 8 just two years ago (e.g, 4 of their current starters played 23 minutes or more in their upset on Iowa's homecourt in the 2nd round).

Marquette is #33 in the NET, #32 at Massey, #34 at Her Hoop Stats, and #39 in ELO rankings. Their non-con SOS was 223rd in the NCAA so their early wins and NET rating were probably inflated. That win over Illinois looked a lot better at the beginning of the season when everyone thought Illinois was a team on the rise and would be a solid top 25 this year, and now they're 8-10.
Yeah, Creighton is a solid team. They are definitely one of those teams that can be a bracket buster in the tourney as they have shown.

Last edited:
Reactions: maple and travis929
Amoore the Aussie is fun to watch, one of my fav players in WBB. UNC appears to be rounding into shape, they are a tough team, 3 close losses early in season and the loss to UConn by ten but mostly they are built on grit and hang with everyone. I think Banghart is doing a good job there, she seems to be building it.
UNC is currently struggling on the road against a lowly Virginia team.

Virginia Tech - Syracuse is one of my games to watch today.

Could be teams the LVs play later in the year.. I’m confident the LVs are about to go on a row and comfortably make the NCAA tourney with a statement today. This is a repeat of last season but this group is ahead of schedule.

As for Virginia Tech, they haven’t impressed me much over the years. I believe they have overachieved and the coach has stayed with his philosophy for building the program. Credit to them. I still remember that game where as a freshman Sara Puckett dropped 15 pts on Virginia Tech on their homecourt.

Been hoping Sara can find her scoring touch like that and get to the level of play she is capable of as a pure P5 scorer.

VT is dealing with some injuries which isn’t something LVs haven’t had to deal with for three straight seasons. Not how you start but how you finish.

It’s time for the contenders to separate from the pretenders!

🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: knoxvol52
Even though what she said was true (better talent), you don't go telling someone something like that. I guess next year she better put up or shut up. She just put a lot of pressure on herself.
Cooper didn't tell anyone anything like that!!! For the millionth time, it was sarcasm, a joke, an internet snarky answer to the resident kook. First clue should have been when the poster said he talked to Coop directly. I sure wish the poster who posted that would come on and explain that as well. This is how crap gets started and taken as gospel.

Over/under on how many times Washington flops today trying to draw fouls on Kamilla?

Since I don't really believe in trap games, I say SC rolls on by at least 20. Shea ain't that good a coach!

Over/under on how many times Washington flops today trying to draw fouls on Kamilla?

Since I don't really believe in trap games, I say SC rolls on by at least 20. Shea ain't that good a coach!
I can’t take the bait glv (I would curse my team) but there is no question Washington will get some charging calls her way, Cardoso is anything but subtle. You know, if she just kept that ball above her head…..

Reactions: Rixxx and glv98
Tennessee at Ole Miss is the game of the day.

Tennessee has bullied their SEC foes in 4 out of 5 wins in the SEC play so far this season.

In the 5th win against Vandy, the refs completely dictated the play in the post by calling fouls against TK when their plays flopped.

The Texas A&M game has an asterisk by it due to the team dealing with a flu bug until they travel to Rocky Top for Round 2.

I watched the LSU v SC game and players were basically allowed to be physical and play down low on both sides.
It was similar to how Tennessee vs Miss State was allowed to play.
Those kind of games favor Tennessee with the emergence of TK. If it’s a physical game today against OM, athlete for athlete, post for post, the LVs will bully their way to a 6th SEC win and in the drivers seat of their OWN spot in the SEC rankings.

As I look at the SC vs Vandy game, I will focus on how they allow Cardoso to play in the post. Cardoso was certainly being aggressive against LSU and playing through some LSU defenders.

If Vandy players flop will the refs call it against Cardoso?

Tennessee at Ole Miss is the game of the day.

Tennessee has bullied their SEC foes in 4 out of 5 wins in the SEC play so far this season.

In the 5th win against Vandy, the refs completely dictated the play in the post by calling fouls against TK when their plays flopped.

The Texas A&M game has an asterisk by it due to the team dealing with a flu bug until they travel to Rocky Top for Round 2.

I watched the LSU v SC game and players were basically allowed to be physical and play down low on both sides.
It was similar to how Tennessee vs Miss State was allowed to play.
Those kind of games favor Tennessee with the emergence of TK. If it’s a physical game today against OM, athlete for athlete, post for post, the LVs will bully their way to a 6th SEC win and in the drivers seat of their OWN spot in the SEC rankings.

As I look at the SC vs Vandy game, I will focus on how they allow Cardoso to play in the post. Cardoso was certainly being aggressive against LSU and playing through some LSU defenders.

If Vandy players flop will the refs call it against Cardoso?

Please use the Lady Vol thread ☺️

Reactions: knoxvol52
One player that is getting a lot of heat over at the Boneyard is Nika Muhl. She is actually my favorite player, but I admit I am a little pissed off on the way she played that game. This game just shows how valuable she is although some on the Yard cannot appreciate her game.
Nika is one of my top favorites too and I’m also pissed off about her performance. She is super valuable to the team and playing like she did yesterday is, I feel, inexcusable. Especially since she’s a senior. I don’t expect her to score 20 points but I expect her to play to her ability.

Reactions: StorrsCentral
Yeah, that’s how it works, I praise a team/coach and then they blow a tire…🤪 One of the reasons I never talk smack about my fav team, it would jinx them, for real, it works that way with me.
Now if UNC get beat by VA do they stay in the top 25 ? hmm

VN Store

Back