Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I’m sure that poster thinks Dawn is too “woke” for their liking!
Dawn can be polarizing, especially if she is not the HC of your fav team. I get it, everyone does. I don’t use the term woke ever, it’s a silly concept in my view. What I do know about Staley is that she is a tireless advocate for the game of WBB and young women who play the sport and that she takes a strong stance on equality which rubs some types wrong and is often misinterpreted for the wrong reasons. She is a really good person and an excellent coach, which is all I need to know about her to form my own opinion.

Coach Summit was the first true pioneer for gender equality in sports, and I’m sure some in this nation did not take her work seriously because of their own biases, but she wasn’t afraid to be at the forefront of equality in her time. I suppose if the term woke was floating around back then some misguided people in this country might have tried to saddle her with that. She was a leader, and sometimes leaders like her are ready for the fight.

Last edited:
Lol....you are so pathetic with your jealousy. We are the talk of women's college basketball. We are the reining national champions who return all of the players but 1 and add the 2nd rated recruiting class. We lead the nation every year in attendance and your take is...we are trash. Stop...you are embarrassing yourself.

Whole school trash. Never been jealous of South Carolina a day in my life. Only emotion I can conjure for SC is pity.

Joyce being another South Carolina native to stay home and star in-state makes that way more likely -- assuming she has an amazing college career -- than if she'd grown up elsewhere.

There has always been a part of me that holds a special place for Lady Vols who were born and raised in Tennessee, even if they're at the end of the bench or have minimal roles on the team. I'm a proud Tennessean and love it when really good players stay home.

So, yeah, I can see South Carolina fans getting super attached to Joyce and pulling extra hard for her to be worthy of a statue. I hope the best for ALL players. That is, UNTIL THEY PLAY AGAINST TENNESSEE. Then I want them to have a rare awful game and, hopefully, LOSE! 😁🧡
Worthy of a statue. Gee. The best women who have played the game don’t have statues.

Worthy of a statue. Gee. The best women who have played the game don’t have statues.
Why is that? Maybe that is an equality issue to be looked at. In men’s sports like CFB there are statues of the great players on campuses all across the nation. Are you implying women should be treated differently? There are statues on the UT campus of former FB players, but none of WBB players, and UT has seen some of the greatest in their ranks over time.

Maybe not so early?
What is the appropriate amount of time to wait? Should OK take down their recent statues of Mayfield, Murray and others? Where is the conversation regarding time for the male players? Is it only “woke” when it is for a female?

I suppose it’s just so hard for me to understand how any fan of WBB would begrudge a female player from receiving a lasting tribute like that when it is so common for male players in other sports.

Last edited:
What is the appropriate amount of time to wait? Should OK take down their recent statues of Mayfield and others? Where is the conversation regarding time for the male players? Is it only “woke” when it is for a female?

Good questions. Candace's jersey retirement came five years after she graduated. If anyone deserves a statue it's her or Tamika or Chamique.

Why do some schools do it earlier than others? Why do some do statues and others don't?

Dawn can be polarizing, especially if she is not the HC of your fav team. I get it, everyone does. I don’t use the term woke ever, it’s a silly concept in my view. What I do know about Staley is that she is a tireless advocate for the game of WBB and young women who play the sport and that she takes a strong stance on equality which rubs some types wrong and is often misinterpreted for the wrong reasons. She is a really good person and an excellent coach, which is all I need to know about her to form my own opinion.

Coach Summit was the first true pioneer for gender equality in sports, and I’m sure some in this nation did not take her work seriously because of their own biases, but she wasn’t afraid to be at the forefront of equality in her time. I suppose if the term woke was floating around back then some misguided people in this country might have tried to saddle her with that. She was a leader, and sometimes leaders like her are ready for the fight.

Dawn was who turned me back on to women's basketball through her advocacy for female athletes across all schools and sports. There are some things about her I too find polarizing but have no doubts her heart is in the right place.

On a lighter note, the season is quickly approaching, and as a fan of watching WBB I am very excited for this season, for many reasons, but mostly how balanced and competitive the sport is becoming with so much new young talent that should capture the attention of everyone. For the UT fans reading this, I like many others are anxious to see your team play this year with its innovative approach, I won’t miss any games. It could be the start of something new at the top levels.

I‘m thankful for this forum, and the fact that it gives so many fans outside of the UT community a place to converse about and celebrate the game of WBB. This site was groundbreaking in its time like UT WBB was. It has lasted because of the good fans at UT who have supported WBB for so long. It’s part of Pat’s legacy actually and I try to respect that when I post here. She never tried to disparage or ridicule others, that wasn’t her style or mission. She was about lifting the sport. I’ll take my lead from her in those respects.

Last edited:
We’ll see what the justice system has to say. Yall are trash.

Jealous?

That’s like being jealous of a Walmart sack when you’re carrying around a Louis. South Carolina is a garbage school with a garbage reputation. As a whole.
Just to be clear, you do not speak for anyone other than yourself.

I disagree with your assessment of the school, its reputation and the So. Carolina fans.

VN Store

Back