Not even a glimpse of Dobbs or Ferguson

No reason not to play one if Worley isn't the guy going further.

Sure there is.

They could waste a year struggling now, just like we may struggle with Worley.

Or

They could sit a year, learn the playbook, get practice reps, get stronger in the conditioning program, and get coached up... Then come in and use that year of eligibility to greater purpose.

Reactions: 4 people
Sure there is.

Or

They could sit a year, learn the playbook, get practice reps, get stronger in the conditioning program, and get coached up... Then come in and use that year of eligibility to greater purpose.

Also, 80% of the QB reps with the first team are with the starter...the third and fourth string guys don't get any so to throw them out in a real game would be crazy...

Butch obviously is not paying attention to VN....Thank The Lord
Your post reminded me of something that Marv Levy, former Buffalo Bills Super Bowl coach said. He said "if you pay attention to what the fans say, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them."

Reactions: 3 people
thought they could play first home game and still redshirt?? who knows

Last edited:
Sure there is.

Or

Or they could play this year and gain actual experience.

Do you think Worley is better than everybody else on the roster? I don't think I said that he is. I imagine both of the freshman have more talent and upside than Worley, but to this point I assume they aren't ready. Again, all I've intended to suggest is there are a lot of things to consider when contemplating playing time for one or both of these freshman. I watched the same game you did and see the same issues and recurring problems which are more than isolated incidents at this point. But I think on 9/7/13, he's likely still our best option heading to Oregon.

Are you saying you would have played a freshman today or would do so against Oregon? I guess I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

Yes.

thought they could play first home game and still redshirt?? who knows

They can't play a single down in a game unless it's their own school(IE: Orange and White game).

================================
Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition. Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you.

Any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of
competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular
competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.
=====================================

Apparently some smartazzes in here think they actually cover this particular detailed information while you're either watching the game on tv or while you're in the stadium watching it live.

Two games in and we haven't even gotten a chance to see either of these guys. Rest assured you won't see them the next two games. Maybe by Kentucky if at all. Butch had plenty of lead and time to the last two games to give them at least a single possession.

Somebody will red-shirt this season.

No reason not to play one if Worley isn't the guy going further.

Only an idiot would burn a RS while winning games by 45 an 32 points. If Oregon hangs 50 to 80 points on us next week like a lot of people are predicting on VN then you wont see either of them next week either. Unless Worley or Peterman goes down for the season you wont see either of them this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Only an idiot would burn a RS while winning games by 45 an 32 points. If Oregon hangs 50 to 80 points on us next week like a lot of people are predicting on VN then you wont see either of them next week either. Unless Worley or Peterman goes down for the season you wont see either of them this year.

Why RS both? A 32 point lead is actually a great opportunity to get a freshman's feet wet.

I think there's a big difference between "struggling" and simply not having the physical tools to ever succeed in the highest level of competition outside of the NFL.

He has nothing to offer. It'd be different if he had some sort of Peyton-esque understanding of the offense but he doesn't. I'd even be okay with a cannon arm and below average accuracy or vice versa - but he has neither.

I don`t know why UT doesn`t just fire Butch and name you head coach. Might be because Butch has been successful in every coaching job he has had and you don`t have a clue about what you are talking about.

Until you have as good a resume or even better just STFU.

Reactions: 2 people
I understand what I see.

What do I see you ask? I'll take a shot.

Average size. Nothing special.
Can't throw on the run. Can't throw when pressured.
WAY below average overall arm strength.
WAY below average accuracy.
Average mobility from a pocket passer.

THIS is what we plan on trotting out against Oregon?

...:ermm:

Sorry - I'm with the OP 100% on this one. Burn up some eligibility and cross your fingers. Maybe a 2004 situation happens again.

Or we stay with Worley and not throw the newbies to the wolves for what is going to be not a very good season any way. I remember Martin's first start against Syracuse. He was 9 or 26 for 143 yards. Sound familiar? Besides, the defense is the real game winner and we don't have a great defense. Looks like it will be better than last years, but still not great. Last I looked QBs didn't play on defense.

You don't have to be "at practice" to see that the kid can't throw. Period.

I covered my eyes on the North catch. I'm sure I was blushing and laughing at the same time as well.

I did not cover my eyes on that play, and I saw that our QB was being tackled when he released the pass. How is it even possible for anyone to be too stupid to understand what happens when a quarterback passes while he is being tackled?

Hint: It affects the pass.

VN Store

Back