'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

sucks. dude's a future pro bowler at guard. IMO this will happen a lot now with NIL where those tweener types get to dictate what position they play to the highest bidder. makes sense ultimately but a bummer to a certain degree if you tell a kid he's inevitably going to end up at a less glamorous position in the league than they expect
He’ll dictate where he plays, until the 6’4” 265 lb DE with 4.5 speed, continuously whips him around the end.

Reactions: knoxvol52
But do we KNOW that they don’t view him as a possible RT? Maybe our coaches told him RT or G and we would give him a shot at RT?
As I understand it, and as I posted, I thought it was known that Tennessee viewed him as an inside guy, at least that is what has been reported unless I'm mistaken. In either case, David Sanders shouldn't affect him. DS only plays a role if Utu had his eyes on LT, and I don't think for one second that our staff recruited him with that in mind.

He’s not wrong….usually. Unfortunately NIL for an OG isn’t going to compete with Oregon if they’re paying him like a OT
exactly. we do need to find a replacement, would be nice to get a TN feller.

Same for DL, need to get uno mas.

As I understand it, and as I posted, I thought it was known that Tennessee viewed him as an inside guy, at least that is what has been reported unless I'm mistaken. In either case, David Sanders shouldn't affect him. DS only plays a role if Utu had his eyes on LT, and I don't think for one second that our staff recruited him with that in mind.
Yeah, I don’t know. I’ve seen it stated on here, probably said by analysts, and it may be 100% true. Sometimes we take suppositions by recruiting analysts as gospel truth, and I’m just not sure they are THAT level of connected.

Maybe they told him he would absolutely never play OT for Tn
Maybe they told him they think his best spot is eventually OG but they would give him a shot to prove himself at OT
Maybe he just sees a logjam at his preferred position and Oregon made promises

Idk? Just seems like people speak in absolutes too much on here.

Either way, after the initial disappointment of losing a recruit I was looking forward to watching dominate and be nasty in the trenches (TWSS) I know we still have plenty of more than capable options

Maybe so, but why commit to Tennessee in the first place when you know they view you as a guard? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I really don't think our staff attempted to mislead him on his position when it's been public knowledge that Tennessee views him as an inside lineman. And if he views himself as a tackle, he had to know we led for Sanders for a long time, not to mention DS has been committed for over a month, now. Just seems like a sudden change for Utu when the situation he's been staring at has remained fairly static.
So Sanders is at LT and Utu at RT. So they really have no conflict…
Both 5 star guys. And Utu would be an excellent guard too. He’s like Trey Smith in that he can be RT or play either OG.

He wants the money of a OT, and he’s been playing OT the whole time at BG

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back