'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

???

And? lol.

That makes no sense. So he better stay at OG because he’s only the 3rd best OT in the country?

Just because he’s rated as an OT, doesn’t mean that’s the position he’ll play in college.

Our coaches liked him better inside.

You saying the coaching staff was wrong?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Like I’ve been saying… he’s a tackle.
Maybe so, but why commit to Tennessee in the first place when you know they view you as a guard? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I really don't think our staff attempted to mislead him on his position when it's been public knowledge that Tennessee views him as an inside lineman. And if he views himself as a tackle, he had to know we led for Sanders for a long time, not to mention DS has been committed for over a month, now. Just seems like a sudden change for Utu when the situation he's been staring at has remained fairly static.

*places tin foil hat on head*

I really can’t buy that any major championship contending program would tell an OL kid that is largely projected as a guard that they can play tackle and mean it. They’ll of course let them “try out” in camp, but inevitably move them inside. This isn’t GT selling the move, it’s Oregon.

Just to add but as most of us remember when he committed originally it's was semi sorta outta left field and unexpected.I may have missed the lead up and could be wrong but I don't think most of us were expecting it..There's usually some smoke for a few months or weeks which I didn't catch with Utu.Recruits like Utu are difficult to read because they either committed off of instinct or visit high.Then u add the notoriety of these recruiting sites pumping him up to a 5* schools come banging the doors down and u end up here.

Thats why I can appreciate a recruit that takes his time.As much as it frustrates us fans that follow recruiting they usually stay solid.Compared to a guy who commits randomly off emotion or a visit high whatever.You add to that being out west and the well known programs having success,it becomes that much more difficult to hang onto said player..Jmo

a man in a suit and tie is standing in a room with a lamp

Maybe so, but why commit to Tennessee in the first place when you know they view you as a guard? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I really don't think our staff attempted to mislead him on his position when it's been public knowledge that Tennessee views him as an inside lineman. And if he views himself as a tackle, he had to know we led for Sanders for a long time, not to mention DS has been committed for over a month, now. Just seems like a sudden change for Utu when the situation he's been staring at has remained fairly static.
But do we KNOW that they don’t view him as a possible RT? Maybe our coaches told him RT or G and we would give him a shot at RT?

sucks. dude's a future pro bowler at guard. IMO this will happen a lot now with NIL where those tweener types get to dictate what position they play to the highest bidder. makes sense ultimately but a bummer to a certain degree if you tell a kid he's inevitably going to end up at a less glamorous position in the league than they expect

sucks. dude's a future pro bowler at guard. IMO this will happen a lot now with NIL where those tweener types get to dictate what position they play to the highest bidder. makes sense ultimately but a bummer to a certain degree if you tell a kid he's inevitably going to end up at a less glamorous position in the league than they expect
Respect being honest with recruits though.

Downer for me because I love mean, mauling interior OL. They set the tone imo. It’s the same fallacy some (like Orlando Brown) have embraced at the next level. If he had committed to being the best RT in the league? Abundance of money follows. Our boy Trey realized he’s an upper tier OG whilst in Knoxville and this offseason SOMEBODY will pay him more than Hunt stole from Carolina. Always better to be elite at a position rather than merely good or passable.

VN Store

Back