Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Welp, Mexico and Croatia will be fun.

I didn't get a good look at that elbow Song threw, but if he connected it looked like it would have been pretty painful.

I've been of a historical frame of mind today. If Spain wets the bed against Australia, which I think there's a decent chance they could, might we call this the worst collective World Cup performance of all-time? I know some squads have probably been kicked around worse, but the defending Cup and Euro champs (and current world number 1, if I'm not mistaken) is not "some squad."

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a goal where the keeper gave it away to an opposing player at the center line who made a straight run and scored.

No Pepe, no Ronaldo? That significantly improves our chances. Not only are they down their 2 best players, but they'll be morally defeated, whereas we are high from the last game and those missing players will improve our confidence.
I'll see those 2 and raise you 2. Coentrao and Almeida are also probably out. And their keeper underwent a MRI as well.

Can Croatia beat Mexico? Will mexico play for a tie?

I don't think Mexico is strong enough defensively to play for a draw.

I think the Croatian midfield is better suited to deal with Mexico's pressure. Brazil struggled a little bit to maintain control of the game because their midfield leaves a lot to be desired. I think it will be an exciting game with loads of chances. I'll say Croatia 2-1 Mexico

I've been of a historical frame of mind today. If Spain wets the bed against Australia, which I think there's a decent chance they could, might we call this the worst collective World Cup performance of all-time? I know some squads have probably been kicked around worse, but the defending Cup and Euro champs (and current world number 1, if I'm not mistaken) is not "some squad."

France (2002, 2010) or Italy (2010) are other recent examples of defending champions and/or consensus title contenders who went into self-destruction mode in the group stage - and were eliminated whithout a win.

What's the consensus? Does Cahill have goal of the cup so far, or Van Persie?

XhbKpZO.gif

857344890.gif

Reactions: 1 person
France (2002, 2010) or Italy (2010) are other recent examples of defending champions and/or consensus title contenders who went into self-destruction mode in the group stage - and were eliminated whithout a win.

That's right; I had forgotten about how embarrassing France's 2010 World Cup was.

Just have never seen what most do in Cavani. He has great size and pace but just horrible touch.

EDIT: As I say that, he lofts a great ball to Suarez. Haha

So....who is surprised that England **** the bed? Poor Rooney is cursed. He was close to a hat trick, but ends up with his one and only WC goal in a losing effort.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back