Official Fall Camp Thread

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/v/1AsF4DOsAUI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

You can tell by how Jenkins moves he's going to be good in the slot eventually. He already has a rep for being a good route runner but i like how he moves fast, stays low, and cuts on a dime.

Reactions: 2 people
Freshman receivers.

6416437947_6c56ccbf5c_z.jpg

Colossal +1 on this. Hopefully it's not just coachspeak.

Compiled from a variety of newspapers and blogs around the 'net:

Offense

* Freshmen QBs Joshua Dobbs & Riley Ferguson were a little better today, as the nerves slowly start to diminish

* People are beginning to believe this could be a sleeper team.

* QB Justin Worley looks like the most polished, confident quarterback in camp

* Expect to see some new wrinkles in their offense.

* QB Nathan Peterman has huge legs; much different than the other 3 skinnier-legged QBs

* The WRs have a long way to go to please WR Coach Zach Azzani, who is a perfectionist

* Azzani's attention to detail and ability to see every technique full-speed is impressive

* Freshman WR Ryan Jenkins looked smooth in a move-down-the-field drill

* Freshman WR Marquez North is raw and is corrected often, but he appears to be very coachable and absolutely looks the part physically

* With the time that Azzani, Bakajian & Jones spend on North, it would appear that they know if he can play-up to his ability and continue to get better, they won’t be able to keep him off the field

Defense

* Coach Jancek was heard saying in the end his defense would be one to be reckoned with.

* Butch Jones was on CB Malik Foreman some today on the wireless mic

* Tommy Thigpen said Channing Fugate has been doing well so far

* They're doing all the little things you need to win.

* A.J. Johnson looks quicker and more mobile than last year, yet he's still big and muscular

* Overall there is a feeling that there is more than enough talent left over to compete for a bowl berth in CBJ's first season, and that with the influx of new talent coming next year from the #1 signing class we will be competing for SEC championships sooner, rather than later.:)

Reactions: 5 people
Exceed expectations. :good!:

I'm more curious about the source on * People are beginning to believe this could be a sleeper team.

Where did this come from and who are these people?

* This is not a call-out... I'm just curious as to whether this is some coach's/fan's perspective, or media, etc...?

Thanks for posting the summary!

If you look at the bio's of the current Tennessee staff, in addition to the continuity of 8 of the coaches with Butch (remember last year), it is quite possible that the pedigree of all combined may be the best of any coaching staff ever at the University of Tennessee. That bodes well for the current season. I predict an upset in the big 5.

Best staff in the country?

:tease2:

Any new practice updates from today?

I'm finding that the best updates come from govolsxtra.com Typically if you go there, and sort through their articles and twitter feed, you'll find some good stuff.

They went 11 on 11 today, just to try to juice the guys up and get them excited. After 3 days in a row, it can get tiring.

Jones seems very optimistic about what's going on. He said they definitely improved today.

He is very impressed with the freshman receivers.

North and Josh Smith were working with the ones today. Worley was QB1, and Peterman was QB2. Freshies worked with 3rd team O. Dobbs and Ferguson had a pretty bad day, Riley threw an INT, and Dobbs fumbled a snap pretty badly.

Brendan Downs was 1st string TE. Max Arnold (yes, I said "Who?" too), was playing with the first string because Byron and LaDarrell were both hurt at Safety (nothing too serious though)

Justin Meredith is hurt (again). Don't think he's ever been healthy since he's been here.

John Jancek was overheard saying "our defense will be a force to be reckoned with."

Dontavis Sapp is getting HIGH praise from Butch. Playing well, and showing outstanding leadership. Pretty good for a kid who when Dooley brought him in, we were all scratching our heads.

Butch is really hitting hard on Quinn and Branisel. Shows me he's expecting a LOT out of them.

Rajion played 1st string today, Marlin was second.

Everyone looked pretty good today. Jenkins and some others dropped a few passes, but Jones still raves about them.

Croom continues to look good.

We have no punt returner: just about everybody and their brother tried to do it.

Rajion ended practice in the doghouse, running laps.

Overall though, the tone sounds very positive. We have a young team. But I think we're picking up things very well. From the quotes I'm reading, it sounds like they're expecting a lot from themselves, and that the leadership is getting better.

Like I said, GVX has a lot. Evan Woodbury does a great job at what he does (I'd love to have that job).

Reactions: 3 people
I'm finding that the best updates come from govolsxtra.com Typically if you go there, and sort through their articles and twitter feed, you'll find some good stuff.

They went 11 on 11 today, just to try to juice the guys up and get them excited. After 3 days in a row, it can get tiring.

Jones seems very optimistic about what's going on. He said they definitely improved today.

North and Josh Smith were working with the ones today. Worley was QB1, and Peterman was QB2. Freshies worked with 3rd team O. Dobbs and Ferguson had a pretty bad day, Riley threw an INT, and Dobbs fumbled a snap pretty badly.

Brendan Downs was 1st string TE. Max Arnold (yes, I said "Who?" too), was playing with the first string because Byron and LaDarrell were both hurt at Safety (nothing too serious though)

Justin Meredith is hurt (again). Don't think he's ever been healthy since he's been here.

John Jancek was overheard saying "our defense will be a force to be reckoned with."

Dontavis Sapp is getting HIGH praise from Butch. Playing well, and showing outstanding leadership. Pretty good for a kid who when Dooley brought him in, we were all scratching our heads.

Butch is really hitting hard on Quinn and Branisel. Shows me he's expecting a LOT out of them.

Everyone looked pretty good today. Jenkins and some others dropped a few passes, but Jones still raves about them.

We have no punt returner: just about everybody and their brother tried to do it.

Overall though, the tone sounds very positive. We have a young team. But I think we're picking up things very well. From the quotes I'm reading, it sounds like they're expecting a lot from themselves, and that the leadership is getting better.

Like I said, GVX has a lot. Evan Woodbury does a great job at what he does (I'd love to have that job).
Thanks for the update!

Reactions: 1 person

How do you figure that?

How do you figure that?

Well, when it comes to QB, we have only one that's played any number of minutes.

RB, we're experienced, as we are at OL.

But WR, we lost our big 3. Dallas, Blanc, Carter are about the only ones who played last year. The rest are redshirt freshmen or true freshmen.

TE, we have Brendan Downs, who has caught 6 passes in 18 games for us, and a guy who was a former volleyball player (who will probably turn out really good)

On Defense, we are pretty experienced on the D-Line, but on linebacker, we're playing Sapp, who has 42 tackles over three years and 35 games. However, he's playing very well this fall, I'm excited about him. But not near as much as experience as Maggitt and Johnson. Brewer hasn't played LB before, I don't believe. Christian Harris has not taken any snaps at LB before.

DB is young, McNeil is only a sophomore, Riyahd hasn't played SEC ball yet, Randolph and Coleman are experienced, as well as Moore. But, after that, we're looking at a lot of underclassmen.

I just think we have a big time lack of experience in certain position. Mainly QB and WR...which counts for a lot.

To me, young doesn't necessarily mean freshmen/sophomore. It means lack of experience as well.

Apparently the job is wide open. Butch said that we have no idea who is going to do that for us yet.

If Justus Pickett gets cleared to play I wouldn't mind seeing him back there, ran a 4.4 out of HS can only imagine he's gotten faster since then.

Best staff in the country?
:tease2:

It's possible. Normally, we think of a collection of big name coaches. This doesn't mean they work cohesively as opposed to having ego wars among them. Which results in a team that lacks cohesiveness. It appears CBJ has a collection of people who have been around each other for a while and become a team in and unto itself. A team that stays together no matter where they work. Further, has a system that thusfar has worked. If your coach team is all on the same page, trust each other to meld team components into a unified whole, and field a team that goes out and fights like rottweilleri-mastif-pitbull mutts, you got one heck of a coaching team. You got the best coaching team in the country.

I do know thing. If CBJ & co. turn the Vols back into contenders, we will have to shell out big time to keep them. Tennessee is a talent poor state, has to recruit nationally to field even a decent team, has been allowed to sink to barely FCS level. If a coach team can overcome such as this and field a team that threatends or takes the SECC and/or NCS, you can bet every wins hungry program in the USA will come after them. We better be prepared to sell the state capitol, the Titans team, and the TVA just to keep these guys.

VN Store

Back