Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Welp, now I can close up the warehouse for the day - Amazon just delivered me a new PC... my main biz computer crashed the other day... when I tried to restart it would say INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE, evidently the hard drive failed. Fortunatley I keep all my business files on a thumb drive so I was able to continue operations more or less unabated on the laptop I keep in the double wide here.

Fun fact - it's been so long since I logged into VN from this laptop, the page I have bookmarked is actually the FF... (lol)

Check the cables and don't give up on it. If this one has an M2 SDD, make sure it's seated well - I haven't tried one of those out yet - looks a bit like a memory stick. I built a new computer a few months ago and it wouldn't recognize the 500GB Samsung SSD; I had the stuff a while before putting it all together and Amazon wasn't going to let me return the drive. I read something about keep booting with the drive in place - sometimes they come to life. I put an old smaller drive in and booted up from a Linux thumb drive and installed Linux on the smaller HD. Sure enough sometime later the computer is showing the 500GB SSD. This was several months ago now, and I still haven't gotten around to installing Windows on the computer, but the SSD seems like it's OK. Linux Mint is a pretty nice operating system, but any version of Linux will drive someone without any Linux experience up the wall. Some Linux stuff still has to be done from a command line and it's far less easy to comprehend than DOS used to be. If you want to check out the new computer overall, download a new Linux OS (I like Mint) to a thumb drive and boot the computer from that unless Amazon is feeling cooperative about a return.

Reactions: RavinDave
Check the cables and don't give up on it. If this one has an M2 SDD, make sure it's seated well - I haven't tried one of those out yet - looks a bit like a memory stick. I built a new computer a few months ago and it wouldn't recognize the 500GB Samsung SSD; I had the stuff a while before putting it all together and Amazon wasn't going to let me return the drive. I read something about keep booting with the drive in place - sometimes they come to life. I put an old smaller drive in and booted up from a Linux thumb drive and installed Linux on the smaller HD. Sure enough sometime later the computer is showing the 500GB SSD. This was several months ago now, and I still haven't gotten around to installing Windows on the computer, but the SSD seems like it's OK. Linux Mint is a pretty nice operating system, but any version of Linux will drive someone without any Linux experience up the wall. Some Linux stuff still has to be done from a command line and it's far less easy to comprehend than DOS used to be. If you want to check out the new computer overall, download a new Linux OS (I like Mint) to a thumb drive and boot the computer from that unless Amazon is feeling cooperative about a return.
Good old unix os, I used to know it well. I alway liked the su (super user) command, it made me feel important. Very much like dos with a few variations in syntax.

Reactions: AM64
I do really want to know how much alcohol was involved when someone decided to challenge someone to see if they could ride a bull for eight seconds.

Because you know there was alcohol involved in that process.

I'd say purdy much just that. I've always wondered who put the time limit on just 8 seconds? I suppose everyone else that was left riding the bull that day said to bring it down from 10 seconds to 8 .... too many drunk riders were getting their necks broken.

It "was" an All-In-One type unit, so no external cables connecting the hard drive. Anyway, I took it to an old guy I know who fixes computers, to see what he can do with it, but the thing was 7 or 8 years old and I had been thinking about replacing it anyways. Never used Linux but I remember you posting about it before. What's the benefit of booting my new computer from a thumb drive with Linux?

Good old unix os, I used to know it well. I alway liked the su (super user) command, it made me feel important. Very much like dos with a few variations in syntax.

Linux is getting a lot closer to ease of use for people who are used to Windows, but sometimes there are still programs that have to run from the command prompt. Overall with the Mint version I'm satisfied enough that I haven't found the urge to install Windows. The other thing is that in going from place to place, I just pop a couple of hard drives out of this computer and take them with me - Linux reads anything, so files I want like manuals, books, music, etc are not a problem - don't have to take time to make copies of what I might want.

It "was" an All-In-One type unit, so no external cables connecting the hard drive. Anyway, I took it to an old guy I know who fixes computers, to see what he can do with it, but the thing was 7 or 8 years old and I had been thinking about replacing it anyways. Never used Linux but I remember you posting about it before. What's the benefit of booting my new computer from a thumb drive with Linux?
I'm a staunch supporter of if it works don't f with it. I don't know what you do with your computer, but if you had everything backed up on a thumb drive I'm guessing not much. Just buy another PC and do the same thing you were doing.

You can boot from Linux without having to install it. If your Windows has become corrupt and won't boot, for example, you can still access your files unless the entire hard drive is the problem. It's nice for troubleshooting and accessing files.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'm a staunch supporter of if it works don't f with it. I don't know what you do with your computer, but if you had everything backed up on a thumb drive I'm guessing not much. Just buy another PC and do the same thing you were doing.
I only have about 25,000 files on that "thumb drive"

Don't do much but run a multimillion-$ business...

EDIT: I've used various portable storage devices... portable hard drive, SSD types, now an actual thumb drive. But it is actually my MAIN set of files that commutes with me, so I can work from home as well as the warehouse without having to put data up & down through the cloud every day...

I only have about 25,000 files on that "thumb drive"

Don't do much but run a multimillion-$ business...

By the way I read your earlier post wrong. I had in my mind the new computer was the one that wouldn't start up, so forget all I said about troubleshooting and new drives.

Reactions: RavinDave
You need to hire a professional for your IT needs if you're running a multimillion dollar business, seriously.
That's a good point. I only hired a CPA for the first time a year ago. But the IT thing, well, so far I am still holding my own in that department.

By the way I read your earlier post wrong. I had in my mind the new computer was the one that wouldn't start up, so forget all I said about troubleshooting and new drives.
I was thinking that; your earlier post makes more sense now, at least in a perverse way...

I know he wants to hire one of us to come in and and set up a Google share Unix account on a DEC server. I have a Micro Vax II ready to roll.

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
I know he wants to hire one of us to come in and and set up a Google share Unix account on a DEC server. I have a Micro Vax II ready to roll.

I'll leave that up to you; I quit all the hard core computer stuff years ago. The last I strayed from just keeping things running was SQL programming for some database work years ago. Computer assembly is OK - kinda like Lego with funnier looking pieces - some with sharp edges, so it's occasionally bloody.

Whoever can drive a forklift too, and put stretch wrap on pallets of product, will get the first interview.
I can automate that for you. Get rid of the forklifts and replace them with AGV's. Stretch wrap machine automation is old school stuff for me. Believe it or not I've done these things before. It eliminates some jobs, but creates new ones.

I can automate that for you. Get rid of the forklifts and replace them with AGV's. Stretch wrap machine automation is old school stuff for me. Believe it or not I've done these things before. It eliminates some jobs, but creates new ones.
I've been contemplating a pallet wrapping machine for awhile now. Would have done it a year ago if my warehouse wasn't so tight on space, I just hate to give up the space for that. Automating beyond that is not in the cards, the nature of the business doesn't really lend itself to that, it's more of a boutique/custom-order business...

But I am seriously thinking about that pallet wrapping machine. My old knees can't handle a lot of pallet wrapping anymore, in fact I had my son wrapping 5 pallets for me today, so I'm ready to ship a big order on Monday. Usually my wife does that but she wounded her hand yesterday so she brought in our son...

Reactions: VolStrom and AM64
Not to mention, if we eliminate even one full-time job that means the business has been shut down!

Reactions: VolStrom and AM64

VN Store

Back