Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

C-4 can make a dull day fun.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your HONOR.

Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during both).

C-4 can make a dull day fun.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your HONOR.

Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during both).

Lol. Staying up late at nights & not getting enough sleep during the day will make you post gibberish sh!t.

Sometimes you have to look the other way on safety to get the job done though...

I have frequently parts of 1 or more buildings that aren't accessible by normal means due to property lines, roads, water bodies,etc...how do you tyvek exterior walls or set windows when you can't get a forklift or manlift on that side of the bldg...and even the unheard of 60ft ladder with 3 sections isn't big enough???

You tell your amigos they have to do it on Sunday I noted id Saturday so nobody else will be on the job, and pray for the best. If you can trust them, and make sure they wear a harness and tie off. There are several ways they (dont) use.... easiest and fastest is the "see saw" technique...get a strong 2x10 or 2x12 with no knots, half the board inside the bldg6ft half of it sticking out with the fulcrum being a window sill...the heaviest amino or 2 smaller ones in a pinch sit atop the board at floor level inside so that the other guy can walk outside on the board and work there. Tied off to a header or 3 stud corner inside of course so falling to death is impossible... I know several others as well but this is the easiest and most common. Have seen this done more times than I care to admit. Can also do this out exterior door openings or other windows as well and then run a wallboard perpendicular outside to allow access to every square foot of wall outside for tyvek, zip system etc...

Sometimes you have to look the other way to get the job done. Don't like doing it, but there are some times when there simply isn't a safer way to do things without doing something insanely time consuming and expensive. I take the safety of all the guys I am responsible for serious, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. FWIW, I spent over a decade building houses before I came to apartments, and OSHA is non existent in the house building market in NC, SC, and TN from what I have seen. We always laid off top plate of walls for roof trusses or rafters for example, while walking them . Backwards of course, with your tape measure hooked in front of you. To better explain...walking backwards, on 3.5inches wall, at least 2 stories tall if not 3 plus the foundation height...with a tape measure in left hand and a pencil in the right...making marks usually every 16in and squaring them with a speed square between 20 and 40 feet in the air. Not only did we never wear a harness and tie off, I had never SEEN a harness up close on a jobsite until I started building apartments. Every roof we ever sheetfed, every shingle I have ever nailed, chimney I have built , etc was without any safety equipment at all. This is the norm in house construction. So I never felt like some coward expecting my guys to take a risk that I would have never taken myself. We never even gave safety a 2nd thought when I came up, it wasn't an issue. My guys are the same way. The hard part is to keep them from doing crazy stuff all the time, not the opposite.

Reactions: AM64
Listening to rock on my iPhone as I enjoy my coffee break, they’re playing my song...

Dirty White Boy

I've got my AccuRadio playing (computer) as I'm cleaning up/out my "Deleted Items Folder". There's tons of deleted emails in there that I have to go through ...... my wife is too lazy to help w/this.

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
Sometimes you have to look the other way on safety to get the job done though...

I have frequently parts of 1 or more buildings that aren't accessible by normal means due to property lines, roads, water bodies,etc...how do you tyvek exterior walls or set windows when you can't get a forklift or manlift on that side of the bldg...and even the unheard of 60ft ladder with 3 sections isn't big enough???

You tell your amigos they have to do it on Sunday I noted id Saturday so nobody else will be on the job, and pray for the best. If you can trust them, and make sure they wear a harness and tie off. There are several ways they (dont) use.... easiest and fastest is the "see saw" technique...get a strong 2x10 or 2x12 with no knots, half the board inside the bldg6ft half of it sticking out with the fulcrum being a window sill...the heaviest amino or 2 smaller ones in a pinch sit atop the board at floor level inside so that the other guy can walk outside on the board and work there. Tied off to a header or 3 stud corner inside of course so falling to death is impossible... I know several others as well but this is the easiest and most common. Have seen this done more times than I care to admit. Can also do this out exterior door openings or other windows as well and then run a wallboard perpendicular outside to allow access to every square foot of wall outside for tyvek, zip system etc...

Sometimes you have to look the other way to get the job done. Don't like doing it, but there are some times when there simply isn't a safer way to do things without doing something insanely time consuming and expensive. I take the safety of all the guys I am responsible for serious, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. FWIW, I spent over a decade building houses before I came to apartments, and OSHA is non existent in the house building market in NC, SC, and TN from what I have seen. We always laid off top plate of walls for roof trusses or rafters for example, while walking them . Backwards of course, with your tape measure hooked in front of you. To better explain...walking backwards, on 3.5inches wall, at least 2 stories tall if not 3 plus the foundation height...with a tape measure in left hand and a pencil in the right...making marks usually every 16in and squaring them with a speed square between 20 and 40 feet in the air. Not only did we never wear a harness and tie off, I had never SEEN a harness up close on a jobsite until I started building apartments. Every roof we ever sheetfed, every shingle I have ever nailed, chimney I have built , etc was without any safety equipment at all. This is the norm in house construction. So I never felt like some coward expecting my guys to take a risk that I would have never taken myself. We never even gave safety a 2nd thought when I came up, it wasn't an issue. My guys are the same way. The hard part is to keep them from doing crazy stuff all the time, not the opposite.
You just need a bigger forklift.

J/k

I've got my AccuRadio playing (computer) as I'm cleaning up/out my "Deleted Items Folder". There's tons of deleted emails in there that I have to go through ...... my wife is too lazy to help w/this.

Old classic. Your wife named Linda?

tenor.gif

I have to move her deleted email from that folder to "Junk-email Folder" & then hit "clear". So much fun waiting on the day to pass. I have an X to delete all in her folder ..... but I don't won't to die just yet. It's break time again.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Nothing to do w/white wrestlers here but, I remember Rocky Johnson Sr. who came through the Memphis area. Then, many years later, his son Dwayne "The Rock" came through there in his younger days, who even had some hair, trying to make his way up the ladder to the big time at WWE.

Are you there to do Security or just out for a good time?

"Security" in the loosest sense. Access control and monitoring emergency exits. Would be easy, but this cop on the main entry is letting in anyone on a horse making us have to go clear out the non-contestants.

Got to actually meet John Schneider. Dude is a really down to earth dude.

Welp, now I can close up the warehouse for the day - Amazon just delivered me a new PC... my main biz computer crashed the other day... when I tried to restart it would say INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE, evidently the hard drive failed. Fortunatley I keep all my business files on a thumb drive so I was able to continue operations more or less unabated on the laptop I keep in the double wide here.

Fun fact - it's been so long since I logged into VN from this laptop, the page I have bookmarked is actually the FF... (lol)

"Security" in the loosest sense. Access control and monitoring emergency exits. Would be easy, but this cop on the main entry is letting in anyone on a horse making us have to go clear out the non-contestants.

Got to actually meet John Schneider. Dude is a really down to earth dude.
I guess you could meet a lot of interesting people in that line of work.

One of the French benefits... (sorry, I just had to)

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back