Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

That's a good point. I only hired a CPA for the first time a year ago. But the IT thing, well, so far I am still holding my own in that department.
So just set up a Network Addressable Storage device and put all of your data on that. Set the NAS to RAID 1, mirroring, and you have storage redundancy. Your work desktop will work from files on the NAS and if you lose a NAS hard drive you just pop in another one and keep going. The NAS will rebuild the RAID array automatically. For extra redundancy you mirror the NAS to a USB external drive say once a week/month.

This is how our home network is setup. All music, pictures, and videos are stored on the NAS and the TVs, home theater, and full house audio systems pull from them. All computers back up their data weekly automatically to archive directories not visible to the home public network.

I set this up in an afternoon. It’s easy.

So just set up a Network Addressable Storage device and put all of your data on that. Set the NAS to RAID 1, mirroring, and you have storage redundancy. Your work desktop will work from files on the NAS and if you lose a NAS hard drive you just pop in another one and keep going. The NAS will rebuild the RAID array automatically. For extra redundancy you mirror the NAS to a USB external drive say once a week/month.

This is how our home network is setup. All music, pictures, and videos are stored on the NAS and the TVs, home theater, and full house audio systems pull from them. All computers back up their data weekly automatically to archive directories not visible to the home public network.

I set this up in an afternoon. It’s easy.
Sounds worthwhile but it does not address my situation in total because I need to be able to access my business files from at least two locations (could be more if I'm traveling) without sending data through the internet. So my solution is to keep the files on a removable drive and just carry it back & forth when I commute each day. I do back it up once a week to one of three computers. The reason I don't use DropBox or anything of that sort is because my internet access at the workplace is via a Verizon hotspot... too remote for cable service. When I first set up operations at that location in 2013, initially I tried a satellite service (HughesNet) but it was horrible and I canceled it after 30 days. The Verizon hotspot is 100% reliable and in principle it provides "unlimited data" as part of our cellular service for the family's phones and such, but the limitation is that each month, after I've used 15 GB of data via the hotspot, it throttles the speed severely for the rest of that month - which I can usually avoid by just doing what I need for the business... Fact is, the loss of the hard drive on my main computer did not affect my operations to speak of - other than having to replace the PC that I use in the warehouse - because I had all my data externally already, just walked over to the next building where I have my laptop and plugged my portable storage device into the laptop.

Sounds worthwhile but it does not address my situation in total because I need to be able to access my business files from at least two locations (could be more if I'm traveling) without sending data through the internet. So my solution is to keep the files on a removable drive and just carry it back & forth when I commute each day. I do back it up once a week to one of three computers. The reason I don't use DropBox or anything of that sort is because my internet access at the workplace is via a Verizon hotspot... too remote for cable service. When I first set up operations at that location in 2013, initially I tried a satellite service (HughesNet) but it was horrible and I canceled it after 30 days. The Verizon hotspot is 100% reliable and in principle it provides "unlimited data" as part of our cellular service for the family's phones and such, but the limitation is that each month, after I've used 15 GB of data via the hotspot, it throttles the speed severely for the rest of that month - which I can usually avoid by just doing what I need for the business... Fact is, the loss of the hard drive on my main computer did not affect my operations to speak of - other than having to replace the PC that I use in the warehouse - because I had all my data externally already, just walked over to the next building where I have my laptop and plugged my portable storage device into the laptop.
Ok yeah if you don’t have Internet connectivity and can’t use VPN to access your storage then they pretty much have to stay with you

Ok yeah if you don’t have Internet connectivity and can’t use VPN to access your storage then they pretty much have to stay with you
I hate to keep putting money in Mr. Bezos pocket, but a few clicks on Amazon on Friday, and I had a new HP Pavilion 24" All-In-One desktop delivered on Saturday. Spent a couple hours this morning setting it up and now the warehouse is back on track again... Big shipping & receiving day tomorrow while the bankers and teachers and government workers and many others enjoy a paid holiday to celebrate MLK day...

hueyequip-jpg.84265

The cat has officially become an indoor only cat at this point. I knew I had a reasonable large great horned owl that lives somewhere either on my property or close to it as I hear it outside going back and forth with another owl from time to time. I see it rarely enough, maybe once or twice over the last couple of years, but it's pretty shy for the most part.

Until yesterday morning when I let the dog out and it was sitting on my fence in the backyard. Takes flight carrying off a full sized possum it apparently had decided it wanted for a late night snack.

So, I made the judgment call that cat will remain indoors as she would be fairly easy prey for said owl. He (or she) can dine on possum or rabbit or whatever, just not the cat.

VN Store

Back