Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

The kidding is fun, but I'm like you I hate being cold now. My wife keeps the thermostat at something like 67 in the day and 60 at night. The den is mine, and I have one of those oil filled heaters that I use to keep it around 72 in here for me and one of the cats. When I go to bed, I turn the electric blanked on my side to bake for a while before I actually get in bed, and then I turn it to low or off when I finish reading. The fact that I'm due for another aortic valve in the next year or so might play a part in that, but I tolerate hot a lot better than cold these days.
I keep my thermostat set on 66.... but the house feels much warmer. I’ve checked the thermostat against a thermometer numerous times just to be sure

Reactions: AM64

I was just checking out the TDOT map and traffic cams, Waze on the map is showing all kinds of accidents around Nashville - radar is showing ice and snow. Monteagle seems to have too much fog to even figure out what the conditions are.

The kidding is fun, but I'm like you I hate being cold now. My wife keeps the thermostat at something like 67 in the day and 60 at night. The den is mine, and I have one of those oil filled heaters that I use to keep it around 72 in here for me and one of the cats. When I go to bed, I turn the electric blanked on my side to bake for a while before I actually get in bed, and then I turn it to low or off when I finish reading. The fact that I'm due for another aortic valve in the next year or so might play a part in that, but I tolerate hot a lot better than cold these days.
Similar situation in my household. I seem to be the only one in the family who appreciates warmth.

I keep my thermostat set on 66.... but the house feels much warmer. I’ve checked the thermostat against a thermometer numerous times just to be sure

I've been doing that in the other house when I'm there, and keeping the room I'm working in warmer. That house is 100+ years old and not insulated like new ones. Just seems to make more sense to keep the house bearable (65-66) and one room pretty nice.

I was just checking out the TDOT map and traffic cams, Waze on the map is showing all kinds of accidents around Nashville - radar is showing ice and snow. Monteagle seems to have too much fog to even figure out what the conditions are.
The streets here in Mt. Juliet have a healthy glaze of ice.... this morning they were treacherous, but cleared somewhat .... they’re worse now.,.,much worse. Incredibly slick

Today instead of my usual Sunday half-day at the warehouse I came to work with groceries and clothes for a week LOL.

no worries unless the power goes out. maybe this is the year I’ll spring for a backup generator.

I've been doing that in the other house when I'm there, and keeping the room I'm working in warmer. That house is 100+ years old and not insulated like new ones. Just seems to make more sense to keep the house bearable (65-66) and one room pretty nice.
My wife and I have argued several times over the accuracy of the thermostat. She swears it’s not right and that it’s warmer than 66.... I thought she was right until I checked it.... numerous times

Raised in the north.

18 inch there was nothing.

Here 2 inches is a distaste.

There is no way, no how, no amount of money you could pay me to go down momteagle in the ice or snow with some idiot still doing 70 down it behind me.

I would be spending the night at the top.

The streets here in Mt. Juliet have a healthy glaze of ice.... this morning they were treacherous, but cleared somewhat .... they’re worse now.,.,much worse. Incredibly slick

What amazes me is black ice. I started to work one morning a lot of years ago. Turned out of the neighborhood and the back end slipped out, and I was thinking WTF. Anyway it's a narrow two lane road with no shoulders so I got down to the end where I could pull off to see if I had a low tire or something, got out of the car, and almost busted my butt. You just can't see the stuff.

Reactions: NEO
Today instead of my usual Sunday half-day at the warehouse I came to work with groceries and clothes for a week LOL.

no worries unless the power goes out. maybe this is the year I’ll spring for a backup generator.

Right now the only thing I'm worried with is the Power going out for hours.
I have enough food & stuff if snowed in. I got coffee for my mornings & such. Hoping power doesn't go poof.

Raised in the north.

18 inch there was nothing.

Here 2 inches is a distaste.

There is no way, no how, no amount of money you could pay me to go down momteagle in the ice or snow with some idiot still doing 70 down it behind me.

I would be spending the night at the top.

I spent a couple of winters in Bangor, ME. Rode my bicycle all winter. The roads were covered all winter, but it's different from what we have here. The road outside my neighborhood for example never gets plowed, and a lot of it is tree covered. After a snow during the day the snow on the road will warm and then refreeze. So instead of crunchy snow on the road it's like an oversized ice cube, and extremely slick. I agree people raised in the north know a lot more about driving in snow, but they honestly have a different kind of snow to contend with most of the time.

Right now the only thing I'm worried with is the Power going out for hours.
I have enough food & stuff if snowed in. I got coffee for my mornings & such. Hoping power doesn't go poof.

My wife (with her brother's help) had me talked into a tankless gas hot water heater. I started my research, and found out all the new ones require electric power to work - no electricity no hot water. That idea was dead in the water at that point, nope, nyet, nada, zilch, zip, not happening. If our power goes off I can still take a hot shower and eat hot food. Too bad power lines are on poles and not underground like the gas lines.

I spent a couple of winters in Bangor, ME. Rode my bicycle all winter. The roads were covered all winter, but it's different from what we have here. The road outside my neighborhood for example never gets plowed, and a lot of it is tree covered. After a snow during the day the snow on the road will warm and then refreeze. So instead of crunchy snow on the road it's like an oversized ice cube, and extremely slick. I agree people raised in the north know a lot more about driving in snow, but they honestly have a different kind of snow to contend with most of the time.

Yeah its powdery. And normally straight fluffy snow.

You are right.

Here it has more of an ice mixture.

Never been main except in my head when reading king novels. Seems beautiful but really cold.

Yeah its powdery. And normally straight fluffy snow.

You are right.

Here it has more of an ice mixture.

Never been main except in my head when reading king novels. Seems beautiful but really cold.

Definitely gets cold, but it's a drier cold and didn't seem to hurt as much. The snow was usually too dry to even make snowballs.

What amazes me is black ice. I started to work one morning a lot of years ago. Turned out of the neighborhood and the back end slipped out, and I was thinking WTF. Anyway it's a narrow two lane road with no shoulders so I got down to the end where I could pull off to see if I had a low tire or something, got out of the car, and almost busted my butt. You just can't see the stuff.
That’s how it was here this morning. I pulled out of the subdivision and slowed down at the 4 way stop and .... slid across the intersection... .. my daughter had a volleyball tourney in Franklin and was supposed to be there by 7:00.... I got as far as the Nashville airport before they called it off.

That’s how it was here this morning. I pulled out of the subdivision and slowed down at the 4 way stop and .... slid across the intersection... .. my daughter had a volleyball tourney in Franklin and was supposed to be there by 7:00.... I got as far as the Nashville airport before they called it off.

You talking 7 am here? F that crap on a Sunday morning. Nobody would be there no how....

Yep.... first game was supposed to be at 8:00.

I had a son that played soccer. I'll never forget we'd have to be at the field (which was way across on the other side of town mind you) at 8:00 am on a Saturday ... my day off after working 10-12 hrs a day during the week.
It was an open field w/the cold air on blast hitting you straight in the face.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back