Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

My wife will take that option all day. It's now 10 degrees here with -3 degrees windchill factor.
She'll gladly piss good money away to stay warm in this weather. W.TN. is now the North Pole.

When I was a kid if we complained about the house being cold dad would tell us to go chop wood.

When I was a kid if we complained about the house being cold dad would tell us to go chop wood.

I don't have a place to go chop wood. My mother would tell stories of when they had to do just that to have the fireplace to supply heat throughout the whole house back in the early 20s. Back then there were no electric space heaters to plug into the wall socket for heat. I'm amazed at times how they survived in those barbaric days of old.

It's kind of eerie out here right now. Almost zero traffic on the roads even though they are somewhat drivable at the moment.

Reactions: AM64

Switched to gas logs in the living room and gas stove in the basement when I was ten. Had to tote in firewood til then. About the same time my grandparents made me start chopping when I was at their house. I think it was all pre-planned.

Edit: I say that, but it was more supervised swinging of a small axe for a couple of years.

I keep the house at 65 in the winter and 72 in the summer. No need to pay the gas company when I can throw on some clothes.
I have to disagree. It's like people who tell me they go camping. I work to make sure I have a roof over my head, electricity, and am comfortable temperature wise. Why would I vacation worse then I live?

Reactions: AM64
I have to disagree. It's like people who tell me they go camping. I work to make sure I have a roof over my head, electricity, and am comfortable temperature wise. Why would I vacation worse then I live?
Sometimes it’s nice to see if you've still got it in you. We never tent camped when I was a kid because to quote my dad “I had enough of that **** in the Army”.

We used to tent camp a lot and loved it until we didn't. Now we glamp.

Reactions: VolStrom
When I was a kid our house was 1200 sq/ft and we had a wood burning stove. My room was at the other end of the house and I’d freeze, but you’d get a sunburn on your face in the room with the stove

We had baseboard heat but dad would rarely turn it on (he called electric heat a waste of money) we heated the house with fireplace upstairs and a wood stove in the basement.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
I have a new in box 1000 watt inverter generator, anybody in TX want to buy it? I'll take 2019 or newer trucks in trade.

I have a new in box 1000 watt inverter generator, anybody in TX want to buy it? I'll take 2019 or newer trucks in trade.
I have a 2019 Dodge Ram available.

But wth would I want with a measly 1 kW generator?

On the other hand, if it's enough to just power one well pump it could have saved me untold misery and plumbing repairs on cracked PVC pipes that are above ground and carrying well water to parts of my warehouse... but it's about 24 hours too late for that lol.

Fact is, what started out as a supposedly 6-hour rolling blackout has now extended to more than 24 hours without power... and still counting.

VN Store

Back