Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

This team has been such a disappointment. I had high hopes for them this year. Inconsistent play, weak perimeter D, and long scoring droughts plagued this team most of the season.

Víctor Bailey was mostly a flop and there wasn’t much senior leadership.
They have no alpha. When you absolutely need a bucket, who do you go to? Nobody, and that includes the team, knows. No one stepped up and demanded the ball when the game was on the line.

Reactions: DC_Vol
They have no alpha. When you absolutely need a bucket, who do you go to? Nobody, and that includes the team, knows. No one stepped up and demanded the ball when the game was on the line.

Well Vic will shoot whenever he gets a touch.

Hopefully those that stay will take the Grant and Admiral approach and remake themselves in the off season. Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield both took it upon themselves to not only improve their game, but also to improve their bodies during the off season. We need guys with that dedication.

Scared to take a chance at being better never wins championships.
I remember when we took a chance and were rewarded with 5-22. Barnes is a good coach. He gets us to the post season, and he does it without attracting the NCAA to snoop around.

Hopefully those that stay will take the Grant and Admiral approach and remake themselves in the off season. Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield both took it upon themselves to not only improve their game, but also to improve their bodies during the off season. We need guys with that dedication.

Miss those guys. But even with them Barnes couldn’t get it done when it mattered.

just saying.

I thought a lot of the early criticism of SV was misplaced. He was definitely a weaker link than I thought he would be. We need a true PG. SV would do much better as a 2.

I remember when we took a chance and were rewarded with 5-22. Barnes is a good coach. He gets us to the post season, and he does it without attracting the NCAA to snoop around.

Just getting to the dance and leaving after the first song isn’t something to brag about.

Just getting to the dance and leaving after the first song isn’t something to brag about.
It is when you consider all those years where we never even sniffed the dance. Tennessee has never been a basketball powerhouse.

Miss those guys. But even with them Barnes couldn’t get it done when it mattered.

just saying.
Barnes can't play the game for his players. As good as Admiral and Grant were for us, they didn't get it done either. Win as a team, lose as a team.

It is when you consider all those years where we never even sniffed the dance. Tennessee has never been a basketball powerhouse.

See this attitude has always pissed me off about Tennessee, “hey we’re just above mediocre so don’t mess with it”. Screw that, shoot for the moon and try to win championships.

I had the unfortunate experience of being at UT when Wade Houston was coach. I do have a great memory of beating KY tho. Down three, Allan Houston at the charity stripe, seconds left in the game, hits his first FT. Intentionally misses the second, Corey Allen rebounds and puts it in to tie the game, and gets fouled in the process. Hits his FT to win the game.

Believe that was the night before the blizzard because I expressly remember making "hell has frozen over" jokes. Back then, beating KY was a true rarity.

Reactions: RavinDave and hog88
See this attitude has always pissed me off about Tennessee, “hey we’re just above mediocre so don’t mess with it”. Screw that, shoot for the moon and try to win championships.
Who would you hire that would actually come to UT? I understand your POV, but I also understand UT is not a destination school, especially in basketball. So why give up a good thing for an unknown quantity? Guarantee we get someone better and I'm onboard, but chances are greater that we don't. I'm all for taking calculated risks, but when the odds aren't in your favor, that's called being dumb.

just saying.

Whoa now. I remember that year being spoiled by the worst shooting foul ever called in a game that gave the NCAA's leading scorer the free throws to ruin our season.

Let's also remember that he developed a team of 3 stars into a contender. I'm not ready to write CRB off just yet. This year's team lacked experience and I want to see what these freshman can do next year because I'd be shocked if any of them declared.

Today was a huge disappointment, even with Fulkerson out.

Reactions: Grand Vol
Whoa now. I remember that year being spoiled by the worst shooting foul ever called in a game that gave the NCAA's leading scorer the free throws to ruin our season.

Let's also remember that he developed a team of 3 stars into a contender. I'm not ready to write CRB off just yet. This year's team lacked experience and I want to see what these freshman can do next year because I'd be shocked if any of them declared.

Today was a huge disappointment, even with Fulkerson out.

I think Fulkerson is the heart of that team.

I think we should allow Barnes to ride it out to retirement in Knoxville. I expect him to have us relevant until then and bring in some good talent. Swing for the fences when he retires.
We have a long history of not swinging for the fences

VN Store

Back