Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

You should look at Optimus electric steering. It's completely programmable. It has a feature called proportional steeringView attachment 655385. It dynamically changes steering rate based on speed. So if you're running fast, turning the wheel turns the motor less but while at idle it turns it a lot. I think I've got mine set up as 2 turns lock to lock at idle.

You get zero feedback too. And, you can adjust the amount of resistance you feel while turning. Not that's it's all that important in your case, but it ties into your N2K network so you get rudder angle indication.

Yes, mine's a single engine 24', Tidewater. It's an awesome boat. Got me to Great exuma from Ft Lauderdale and back (over 800 miles).

View attachment 655384
I’m set up with most common high performance bass boat steering for big engine boats. Seastar Pro hydraulic. I’m never running longer than 30 minutes and normally only 10 or 15 minutes. Plus it gives me something to hold on to 😬

Reactions: AM64
I’m set up with most common high performance bass boat steering for big engine boats. Seastar Pro hydraulic. I’m never running longer than 30 minutes and normally only 10 or 15 minutes. Plus it gives me something to hold on to 😬
If you have hydraulic then you don't have the feedback which is good. I used to have a 19' bass boat with a 200 merc with a 2.4 offshore foot for low water pickups. It was a ride. Had dual cable steering and it was all you could do to hold the wheel at full speed. She'd do over 80.

I took my dad on a bass tournament. We blasted off and ran about 20 miles. When we stopped he said, "This isn't fishing, this is survival!" 🤣

You should look at Optimus electric steering. It's completely programmable. It has a feature called proportional steeringView attachment 655385. It dynamically changes steering rate based on speed. So if you're running fast, turning the wheel turns the motor less but while at idle it turns it a lot. I think I've got mine set up as 2 turns lock to lock at idle.

You get zero feedback too. And, you can adjust the amount of resistance you feel while turning. Not that's it's all that important in your case, but it ties into your N2K network so you get rudder angle indication.

Yes, mine's a single engine 24', Tidewater. It's an awesome boat. Got me to Great exuma from Ft Lauderdale and back (over 800 miles).

View attachment 655384
You have a very nice looking hole in the water.

If you have hydraulic then you don't have the feedback which is good. I used to have a 19' bass boat with a 200 merc with a 2.4 offshore foot for low water pickups. It was a ride. Had dual cable steering and it was all you could do to hold the wheel at full speed. She'd do over 80.

I took my dad on a bass tournament. We blasted off and ran about 20 miles. When we stopped he said, "This isn't fishing, this is survival!" 🤣
Mine is a Merc Racing 250XS with sport master lower unit and low water pickup. With the hydraulic jack plate when I’m going fast I’ll lift it up till I’m basically even prop to pad and no loss of water pressure. Note the hydrofoil added to the lower it really cleaned up low speed handling I’d porpoise below 25 or so and fall off plane not much lower than that. Now if I tuck the motor I can stay on plane down till around 15-17 and no porpoising

IMG_2508.jpeg

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Mine is a Merc Racing 250XS with sport master lower unit and low water pickup. With the hydraulic jack plate when I’m going fast I’ll lift it up till I’m basically even prop to pad and no loss of water pressure. Note the hydrofoil added to the lower it really cleaned up low speed handling I’d porpoise below 25 or so and fall off plane not much lower than that. Now if I tuck the motor I can stay on plane down till around 15-17 and no porpoising

View attachment 655395
I didn't have the hydraulic jack plate but I did have wedge plates behind the jack plate. No problem with porpoising. I had a 5 bladed prop and the boat would come out of the hole trimmed all the way up. It hurt my top end though but I through one heck of a rooster tail.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
I didn't have the hydraulic jack plate but I did have wedge plates behind the jack plate. No problem with porpoising. I had a 5 bladed prop and the boat would come out of the hole trimmed all the way up. It hurt my top end though but I through one heck of a rooster tail.
Yeah I’ve got a wedge too but I’ve got so much weight at that transom it doesn’t like going slow. Bow lift for days though. I’m running a Mercury Racing Bravo I XS 28 pitch four blade with the PVS vents tuned for my application. The boat jumps up on plane on launch I’ll spin up around 4k rpm and then once it pitches over the prop bites, rpm drops just a tad as the vents start to close off from water pressure, and I’m gone. When I race my buddy’s 20’ Ranger with a 250 Pro XS with Fury four blade when he finally gets on plane I’m already trimming out and pulling away 😂

I'm at a place called kookoo's nest tonight about an hour away from my place in dumaguete. Man, this place is beautiful. If I wake up early enough I'll take pictures. Hope all you old bas.......people (ahem) enjoy burning up in Tennessee while, though hot in the Philippines, I get beautiful beaches and beautiful women.
Next time I'm down there, I'll holler!

Reactions: joevol24
Indeed I did. The Mercury gateway is a Smartcraft to N2K bridge and since Lowrance is a Navico brand with Navico and Brunswick being strategic partners the display it highly integrated into the HDS Live display. In fact the HDS polls it for updates just like a native Lowrance product. The Vesselview Link was the most expensive solution but it’s also the most highly integrated solution. There was another generic gateway that isn’t as functional.

The N2k has both HDS Live units, Vesselview Link, Point 1 GPS, and Motorguide trolling motor on it.

The Ethernet has both HDS units and the Active Target live imaging sonar on it

Ah sure, makeup words just to loook smart.

Went to Baskin Robbin’s for ice cream, I ordered a 2 scoop hot fudge Sunday with nuts and whip cream. The teeny bopper working had to go ask another employee how to make one.

We’re doomed.
What else would you go to Baskin Robbin's for other than ice cream? Did they suddenly start serving regular food?

VN Store

Back