Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

its a private gym in the building my office is at. only people who work here can get access. dude, and the dog, were at least relatively well groomed. if he is homeless he has something figured out/working for him to be in the gym.
Look at it from his POV. He's probably telling his coworkers about how he was napping on the bench in the locker room and woke up to Haley Joel Osment checking him out.

And here I was hoping you were a Bosch dealer with the friends and family discount.

But no...
Also on the dewalt performance. All of the standard angles have a notch on the indexer it can’t walk unless you wear those out. I never have. If outside of the notches the screw clamp has never walked on me.

Reactions: AM64
I bet you could count on one hand the number of times you've used those DeWalt tools.

Lolollolololollll
I can easily count a dozen on the chop saw. Much more on the two drills and screw driver. I actually wore out a drill. I’ve had some of them for 30 years.

I’ve got a small battery circular saw that is money.

Reactions: McDad
I used a compound mitre non sliding in Iraq when I was building things. That thing was a beast.
It has never failed me. I’ve cut metal with it. Used it on framing and finish work. I’ve got about four different blades for it. I’ve got a Freud Diablo general purpose blade with a hefty kerf that hasn’t found a piece of wood that will stop it.

Any of you chowder head have experience with the Bosch 12" axial glide miter saw? The Craftsman 10" I have is going to get replaced since it won't keep zero and moves over a degree when doing 90 cuts. I've tightened everything and done what I can, but it's just not staying true.

Yes, I know the Bosch expensive as all get out and the DeWalt is cheaper... but I do like that zero clearance the Bosch has with the arms. No... I'm not going Festool Kapex either and joining the cult...

DeWalt is the second choice though as I've used one of theirs before (non sliding) and ran it like a scalded dog.

I should have waited on the DeWalt planer (went with the Wen 13" spiral head since it was on sale) and eventually will upgrade it, but the miter saw is likely first on the list since the Wen works for the moment. Saving pennies and doing what I can on the table saw, but that Bosch caught my eye and I can't shake it. But dang expensive. Though this time I'm going to wait and save up.

Thats a nice saw and McDad is right. Bosch makes good stuff. Their 15amp skillsaw for $99 at Lowes is a steal. I used one daily for a year or 2. Fwiw, Hitachi makes a badass radial that is probably same price or cheaper than those 2 on your list. Go to the store and play with all 3 before you buy 1 if possible. You cant go wrong with any of the 3...but in my experience none of them, literally none after a little use can be instantly turned to 45 or 0 or any of the preset stops and cut perfect angles. You have to visibly check that its not off a degree or 2, then tighten down the saw manually ( usually by turning a knob on the front clockwise) and lock the saw on exactly the right angle before cutting. You can always check the angle of your mitre ( or bevel) with a speed square before cutting up expensive stock too. The Hitachi my boss owns has a lever that you push down with your thumb to unlock the saw so you can turn it. If youre just cutting blocks that wont be seen or something youre gonna caulk later and 1 or 2 degrees doesnt matter....just press down and turn it to a preset stop at 45etc. If you need perfect cuts, you press down on that thumb lever and turn it...when you get it exactly where you need to be, then you pull UP on the same lever and it locks the saw in place with zero degrees of play in it. Works great for both perfect and imperfect cuts.

Note: some chop saws only bevel in 1 direction. That sucks. The 3 above that are radial will all be double bevel though. Try them out at the store and see which saw feels more natural to you to use. I HATE the new safety buttons that most of them have now. Check that out too when you try them. You need to be able to operate the saw easily with 1 hand so that you can always have your other hand on the piece you're cutting. Hope this helps. The Dewalt chops usually go on sale around Christmas too.

Also on the dewalt performance. All of the standard angles have a notch on the indexer it can’t walk unless you wear those out. I never have. If outside of the notches the screw clamp has never walked on me.

Yep. The screw clamp/black knob? Is how you get rid of that little bit of play on DeWalts. Every other saw I have ever used has to be manually tightened down in 1 way or another to stay true.

Also: never, ever pick your saw up by the handle on top unless your saw is at zero degrees mitre AND bevel, and you have slid the metal pin IN to lock it down where the blade is all the way down. (Storage mode) if all these things are not done...but you feel you MUST move it anyway, put each hand underneath the bottom on both sides of the saw and carry it that way. I watched my BIL ruin my FILs 15in Dewalt that way...AFTER I told him not to. Dumbazz. It only takes 10 seconds to lock the saw down properly, but that movable saw arm is not made to have all the weight of the saw pulling on that hinge at odd angles. My BIL did it twice in 1 day...the saw never cut true again. Also...BILs suck 97% of the time in my experience. Lmao

Yep. The screw clamp/black knob? Is how you get rid of that little bit of play on DeWalts. Every other saw I have ever used has to be manually tightened down in 1 way or another to stay true.

Also: never, ever pick your saw up by the handle on top unless your saw is at zero degrees mitre AND bevel, and you have slid the metal pin IN to lock it down where the blade is all the way down. (Storage mode) if all these things are not done...but you feel you MUST move it anyway, put each hand underneath the bottom on both sides of the saw and carry it that way. I watched my BIL ruin my FILs 15in Dewalt that way...AFTER I told him not to. Dumbazz. It only takes 10 seconds to lock the saw down properly, but that movable saw arm is not made to have all the weight of the saw pulling on that hinge at odd angles. My BIL did it twice in 1 day...the saw never cut true again. Also...BILs suck 97% of the time in my experience. Lmao
Yep screw clamp/black knob.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Also GV...if there is a Dewalt only shop in the closest city to you, you can get a returned or refurbished saw from there for like 25% off usually. Theres a store in Charlotte where they repair Dewalt tools that has refurb/reconditioned models on the cheap. They still have warranties too last time I bought something from them.

Reactions: McDad and AM64
That's a lot of wishful thinking. I hope you are right. But we have no evidence to suggest Nico will be good enough to leave early. Hope he is. Numerous of these high rated QB's don't shake out like that. Look at UGA's QB room of years past. They stacked many 4-5 stars that ended with them transferring and not being highly sought after QB draft picks

I'm basing it on projections.

Nico's first and only game as a starter was against the 7th ranked total defense in the country. The 15th ranked rushing defense and the 5th ranked passing defense.

Iowa
Total defense - 282.5
Rushing defense - 111.8
Passing defense - 170.7 YPG

Nico against Iowa
Passing - 12/19 151 yards 1 TD 0 Int
Rushing - UT total 232 (Nico - 15 for 27 and 3 TDs)

Though not gaudy stats by any stretch of the imagine, it was against one of the top defenses in the country in his first game. 0 turnovers. If Nico plays 4 years then he's not very good. Heupel didn't redshirt him because I think they are thinking 3 years.

Reactions: AM64 and StarRaider

Article is a couple months old...and I have read about several attempts to achieve this same end that were promising enough that they were eventually hauled into orbit to test. This one actually seems promising though...and as far as credentials of those involved, I am not sure theres anyone more credible than this guy leading the effort. If this type design holds up, this could be the answer to ultra long distance exploration like probes, and maybe even colonization efforts for the moon and then Mars right? The way everyone on this planet has absolutely lost their damn minds, coupled with the normal existential threats to humanity from Earth itself, meteor strikes, nuclear war etc...i am thinking more and more like Elon that colonizing another chunk of rock might be the difference between extinction and life for humanity.

I'm basing it on projections.

Nico's first and only game as a starter was against the 7th ranked total defense in the country. The 15th ranked rushing defense and the 5th ranked passing defense.

Iowa
Total defense - 282.5
Rushing defense - 111.8
Passing defense - 170.7 YPG

Nico against Iowa
Passing - 12/19 151 yards 1 TD 0 Int
Rushing - UT total 232 (Nico - 15 for 27 and 3 TDs)

Though not gaudy stats by any stretch of the imagine, it was against one of the top defenses in the country in his first game. 0 turnovers. If Nico plays 4 years then he's not very good. Heupel didn't redshirt him because I think they are thinking 3 years.

Nico redshirted last year bc he only played in 4 games. If he starts more than 2 years, including this one, he didnt put up the numbers he is expected to as the no1/no2 QB in the country in CJH offense. I think the best scenario for VOLS is that he lights it up this season, even better next season...then comes back for a 3rd season as starter even though he will be a top 10 draft as his his projected draft position. Not sure that happens though in that scenario...it would be like Peyton coming back for his senior season which was so special because it is rare. For NIco to start 3 seasons here, Gmac would have to sit for 2 full seasons not playing without transferring also. That too is rare for a top100 player at QB, but not super rare like a projected top 10 pick staying in school.

Its gonna be very interesting with all these very highly rated QBs here...and CJH plan to keep focusing on 1 QB per class they REALLY want and giving them maximum attention, $$$ etc to make sure they land him. Theres gonna have to be some transfers inevitably because we are not gonna break in a brand new QB as a 1st year starter every season. So we are definitely gonna lose some guys that are not patient, or who get beat out for the starting job and have a bad attitude or attempt to divide the locker room. Thats just football. If theres 1 thing that every single recruit we land mentions about this program though, its the family culture and how honest and genuine our coaches are. For a change. Its been great to hear that vs the drama from the Dooley/ Butch/Cornbread days. I trust CJH to handle this QB stuff with class...because by all accounts he is a classy and honest guy. He is also getting MASSIVE free press right now nationally, as being the best QB recruiter in the nation. Hands down. His experience as a player at the apex of college ball, coupled with his personality and explosive offense has him getting the best of the best at the most important position on the field right now. Who saw this coming when we hired him as head coach?

Reactions: AM64
I guess I will. I hadn't thought about it. It made it easy for everyone to keep track and seemed to go over well. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for considering doing it. It was great to have all that in one place, If you don't have time or not interested - no worries on my end.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
My last overloaded day this week. Tomorrow officially starts our anniversary trip.

So ready. So needed.

If I have been ill-tempered or short with any of you lately, let me take this opportunity to say how you deserved every bit of it.

VN Store

Back