Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

One thing I've noticed is the air radar statistic update rate is variable and never instantaneous. This plane looks like it just ran out of airspeed for whatever reason. It may not have been doing anything near 220 knots when things went all wrong.

Last night I was watching a real assortment of military aircraft off the southern CA coast. Most that showed up on flight radar were tankers - a lot of them, so you knew there were a lot of other planes (fighters specifically) that weren't showing up. The AWACs type wasn't surprising, but the B-52 in the mix was weird. I read today it was an exercise called Bamboo Eagle.

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Always enjoy your posts bud. Hope you and the Mrs are doing well. One of my favorite posters.

Reactions: AM64
I fear we may lose the Olympic gold medal count to China.
We are down three. We should win gold in both basketballs. And I think we have a shot at picking up two more in track at minimum. And we are the favorites in women's volleyball. Going to be close . Both countries are going to take home more gold than expected prior to the games. We were projected 35 and china was projected 32.

We are down three. We should win gold in both basketballs. And I think we have a shot at picking up two more in track at minimum. And we are the favorites in women's volleyball. Going to be close . Both countries are going to take home more gold than expected prior to the games. We were projected 35 and china was projected 32.
It's likely going to be a one medal lead either way, or a tie. China should get 39.

Reactions: volfanhill
As far as China goes, I know they'll probably win the gold for artistic swimming, and they have a chance at another gold in women's boxing. Not sure if they have any others they are expected to win or not.

We've pulled within one of China in the gold medal count. Currently 38 for China, and 37 for the US. China has one more shot at gold today in a women's boxing match, so they could end the day with 39. We should win this basketball game to bring our total to 38. Hopefully these guys don't choke this game away to France.

It's possible that China has a chance tomorrow at one more gold in weightlifting. But we should have a chance at at least 3. Hopefully things go our way.

We've pulled within one of China in the gold medal count. Currently 38 for China, and 37 for the US. China has one more shot at gold today in a women's boxing match, so they could end the day with 39. We should win this basketball game to bring our total to 38. Hopefully these guys don't choke this game away to France.

It's possible that China has a chance tomorrow at one more gold in weightlifting. But we should have a chance at at least 3. Hopefully things go our way.

Hope we can pull it off. Screw the ChiComs. Not lost on me that they have 5x as much population to pull from either...or that we will win overall medals in a landslide. Summer Olympics is so much better than Winter IMO. Lets go USA!! Track has been really fun to watch. We really need to work on diving, and need some new stars in swimming too

Hope we can pull it off. Screw the ChiComs. Not lost on me that they have 5x as much population to pull from either...or that we will win overall medals in a landslide. Summer Olympics is so much better than Winter IMO. Lets go USA!! Track has been really fun to watch. We really need to work on diving, and need some new stars in swimming too
I thinks it's much more likely we tie than outright lose the gold count. Basketball ball has to take care of business, though.

China with a gold in women's boxing, will finish the day with 39 gold.

If we win in basketball, we'll finish with 38.

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Always enjoy your posts bud. Hope you and the Mrs are doing well. One of my favorite posters.

Thank you. It's still a real trial taking care of her, and my patience has been slipping. I don't handle requests for popcorn at 2 AM real well, for example. Told her a few days ago the kitchen is closed after midnight. Lots of stuff like her new phone - a weird story her dad (on our Verizon account) got it a few months ago. He's not using it; we couldn't dump it from the account; and she needed a new phone. So I transferred his stuff did factory reset, swapped SIM cards, and she has a new phone. Of course, she hates it - just like she was complaining about her old phone even though it's just a newer Samsung. I don't like it either - mainly because I've used other Android phones and never a Samsung. A couple of days ago I picked it up to kill the alarm that goes off every morning and all the icons are gone. She does something strange and they come and go, so I have to get to the clock and settings while they are still around to change a couple of things including killing the damn alarm. It's like a new day in Wonderland every day.

I guess what disturbs me most is thinking this is all there is left. We'd been travelling more before Covid, and now that's just not possible. We've been to parts of French Polynesia, Cuba, and Africa in the past few years, but I really want to see far more Pacific islands. I think I'd be happy being Robinson Crusoe ... without the neighbors dropping by from time to time.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Wow Curry is on fire draining 3 after 3
I am not an NBA fan but i keep up with Steph and have watched all his post season title runs. His aunt was a neighbor growing up in Charlotte and her husband was my HS football defense coach. The aunt is Jackie from the Johnboy and Billy radio show. Shes really cool. Steph is the most amazing shooter to ever touch a ball and it isn't close. Even his Olympic teammates are in awe of him . That 4th longball in a row was a 2 stepback, off the left foot , over 2 defenders from 6 feet past the line man.

They just showed he was 17/26 from 3 in the last 2 games when they needed him most. Had 60 points. What a legend.

Thank you. It's still a real trial taking care of her, and my patience has been slipping. I don't handle requests for popcorn at 2 AM real well, for example. Told her a few days ago the kitchen is closed after midnight. Lots of stuff like her new phone - a weird story her dad (on our Verizon account) got it a few months ago. He's not using it; we couldn't dump it from the account; and she needed a new phone. So I transferred his stuff did factory reset, swapped SIM cards, and she has a new phone. Of course, she hates it - just like she was complaining about her old phone even though it's just a newer Samsung. I don't like it either - mainly because I've used other Android phones and never a Samsung. A couple of days ago I picked it up to kill the alarm that goes off every morning and all the icons are gone. She does something strange and they come and go, so I have to get to the clock and settings while they are still around to change a couple of things including killing the damn alarm. It's like a new day in Wonderland every day.

I guess what disturbs me most is thinking this is all there is left. We'd been travelling more before Covid, and now that's just not possible. We've been to parts of French Polynesia, Cuba, and Africa in the past few years, but I really want to see far more Pacific islands. I think I'd be happy being Robinson Crusoe ... without the neighbors dropping by from time to time.

I have had 4 Samsung Galaxy phones since smartphones came out. Never had anything else. Sometimes when its in my pocket, 1 of the icons has somehow been dragged to 1 of the other "home screens" to the right or left of actual home. When 1 or more of those go missing, try this:

1. If phone is "sleeping" at black screen, wake it up with the power button or unlock it if you keep it locked ( I dont , but I am weird)

2. Swipe your finger across the screen without applying pressure on an icon...your fingertip needs to be moving sideways when it makes contact with the screen. Like an airplane landing etc

3. Keep going all the way right, cycling thru other "home screens" while looking for lost icons. Then do the same thing if needed going back to the left. My phone is an older that needs to be upgraded, but there are 9 possible screens right to left.

4. If you find a missing icon(s) all you need to do is press down on it and hold down til it "picks it up" never take your fingertip off the screen. Drag that icon to the side of the screen right or left that youre wanting to take it...then just wait a second and it will cycle over to the next home screen. Its easy once you try it bud. The key is just never remove your fingertip from the icon.

Hope this helps brother. I am far from being a phone expert, but Samsung phones i can use pretty well.

I disagree. I fervently enjoyed my time in the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, and Lisbon.

Wasn't crazy about London, but that was moreso how punchable all the locals were in the night life.
I'm going to London in October. I have tickets to see David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall. Not that excited about the city though.

I have had 4 Samsung Galaxy phones since smartphones came out. Never had anything else. Sometimes when its in my pocket, 1 of the icons has somehow been dragged to 1 of the other "home screens" to the right or left of actual home. When 1 or more of those go missing, try this:

1. If phone is "sleeping" at black screen, wake it up with the power button or unlock it if you keep it locked ( I dont , but I am weird)

2. Swipe your finger across the screen without applying pressure on an icon...your fingertip needs to be moving sideways when it makes contact with the screen. Like an airplane landing etc

3. Keep going all the way right, cycling thru other "home screens" while looking for lost icons. Then do the same thing if needed going back to the left. My phone is an older that needs to be upgraded, but there are 9 possible screens right to left.

4. If you find a missing icon(s) all you need to do is press down on it and hold down til it "picks it up" never take your fingertip off the screen. Drag that icon to the side of the screen right or left that youre wanting to take it...then just wait a second and it will cycle over to the next home screen. Its easy once you try it bud. The key is just never remove your fingertip from the icon.

Hope this helps brother. I am far from being a phone expert, but Samsung phones i can use pretty well.

Thanks. It's strange. You open the phone and there are like 5 icons - even if you swipe left or right/ up and down - just disappeared. No contacts, clock, settings, etc. - and they weren't stashed away in a group icon. When I opened the "Phone" icon, I did find "Contacts" on the bottom bar, so she didn't delete them. Today I opened her phone and a lot of missing stuff was back. She said there are ways to have them available or not on screen - first time I ever heard of that, and I've used Android phones for years. I'll admit that my life is not tied to my phone, so there's a whole lot of stuff I don't know and haven't tried. It's like she and the phone are in another dimension, and I'm not sure I want to go there.

One thing that frustrates the crap out of me is that my old Pixel 3 worked fantastically with my hearing aids. My new Motorola Edge just can't seem to get it right - the phone call volume is too low and the music volume will blow your ears out at the lowest setting. Even using developer options to fine tune doesn't fix it. Of all the phones, I really liked my old Motorola Startac and the Google Pixel 3 the best. I'd have gone with a new Pixel, but I'm not interested in paying a fortune for a camera with a phone attached. If I want to take real pictures, I have a full frame Nikon DSLR and assorted lenses. One of my greatest frustrations with digital electronics is there's great potential, but somebody is always dumbing it down to make it the way they think it should be and force you to like their view of the world.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
1st full day in Tahoe.
Ate at Gar Woods for dinner last night. Delicious. And right on the lake.
2 hour hike this morning. Sandwich shop for lunch. It was good but nothing special. Drove around the lake. 2 hours kayaking this afternoon.
Nap right now and dinner at a steakhouse at 730. Great day.

It is spectacularly beautiful here. And the weather is almost perfect.

1st full day in Tahoe.
2 hour hike this morning. Sandwich shop for lunch. It was good but nothing special. Drove around the lake. 2 hours kayaking this afternoon.

Enjoy!

Thanks. It's strange. You open the phone and there are like 5 icons - even if you swipe left or right/ up and down - just disappeared. No contacts, clock, settings, etc. - and they weren't stashed away in a group icon. When I opened the "Phone" icon, I did find "Contacts" on the bottom bar, so she didn't delete them. Today I opened her phone and a lot of missing stuff was back. She said there are ways to have them available or not on screen - first time I ever heard of that, and I've used Android phones for years. I'll admit that my life is not tied to my phone, so there's a whole lot of stuff I don't know and haven't tried. It's like she and the phone are in another dimension, and I'm not sure I want to go there.

One thing that frustrates the crap out of me is that my old Pixel 3 worked fantastically with my hearing aids. My new Motorola Edge just can't seem to get it right - the phone call volume is too low and the music volume will blow your ears out at the lowest setting. Even using developer options to fine tune doesn't fix it. Of all the phones, I really liked my old Motorola Startac and the Google Pixel 3 the best. I'd have gone with a new Pixel, but I'm not interested in paying a fortune for a camera with a phone attached. If I want to take real pictures, I have a full frame Nikon DSLR and assorted lenses. One of my greatest frustrations with digital electronics is there's great potential, but somebody is always dumbing it down to make it the way they think it should be and force you to like their view of the world.

I am with you about phones. Mine is at least 4 years old...and its a company phone, so I can go get a new one every year or 2 if i want or need to. It still works fine, and I am resistant to change I guess haha. I also do not need a super camera...and other than upgrading the cameras there isnt much difference year over year between phones IMO. I dont trust the folding screens to hold up to the abuse mine takes...and I dont want a phone the size of a tablet. Pretty sure I am becoming a grumpy old man a few decades early! Hope you have better luck bud. Look forward to your posts here.

1st full day in Tahoe.

Was actually worried bc you hadnt checked in lol. Louder was probably in tears. Glad to hear yall are off to a great start man. Any day with steak and a nap is priceless. You get laid tonight and its a trifecta. Might never come back lmao

VN Store

Back