Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

1 thing worries me about this game. The line just inexplicably stopped moving right at UT by 7 points. Days ago. Yet literally everyone is reporting that there is an inconceivable amount of $$$ laid by normal people (squares) on UT...and more by the day.

Thats not how vegas works. Period. They keep moving the line all the way up until kickoff until they can get even $$$ laid on BOTH teams. Thats how they make their money. On fees for making the book. In a perfect world for them, exactly the same amount of $$$ is laid on EACH team vs the spread. Always. The line should have never stopped moving and should be at UT giving 10 or 12 points...whatever it took to get people to bet on OK. Thats how this works.

With everyone laying all their money on UT....either Vegas/fanduel/everyone is going to lose 100s of millions of dollars, which almost never happens, OR they will do absolutely ANYTHING they can to make sure that UT doesn't win. They have millions of reasons to make sure we lose. That is a terrible place to be for UT. What is the easiest way to influence the game? The refs IMO. The only other option would be to pay players to sabotage their own team...and I dont see that happening. Especially in a bigtime game where all the players legitimately believe they have a shot to go pro, and are auditioning for scouts in primetime on national TV. The refs are MUCH easier to get to, and penalties like holding by the Oline and pass interference can be called on ANY play really...they can extend OR kill a drive with either call. Officiating has already been terrible this year...SC got absolutely hosed saturday vs LSU, and I was pulling for LSU in that game. Ghost offensive P.I. call on an invisible WR won them the game on the last drive. It was so obvious the TV guys called the refs out for it and watched the replay twice looking for a WR #3 that didnt exist...

If we get screwed in this game i might stroke out lol. Getting beat by a superior team is one thing...getting robbed because of gambing is another. This is a symptom of legalized sports betting. People will always try to cheat the system. Before this crap was legal though, worst case was some local bookie bribing a player to suck etc with his limited resources. Now we have billion dollar companies like Caesars, FanDuel,etc etc with unlimited resources trying to fix games like this one when they stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if we win. Legalizing sports betting was as brilliant as allowing lobbying in politics...dumb as Hell...and the only reason either one of them is legal is because we allow the politicians that are supposed to represent the interests of ONLY their voters to instead do the bidding of the crooked bastards that fill their coffers.

Oklahoma is not a very good team this year. The ON3 national guys picked OK to go 6-6 this year. Six and six. Look at their schedule. 8-4 is the absolute ceiling for them. Should we blow them out? No. But there is no excuse for us losing this game to a team that has barely won over 2 unranked teams and trailed in the 4th quarter to them. If we lose this game in primetime on national TV...1 of 2 things happened. Either we crapped the bed again on the road under CJH...OR the fix was in. Thankfully we will find out tomorrow. I already posted what i think will happen in this thread. GO VOLS
...or maybe your assumption about the supposed imbalance of money flows is incorrect.

I will say this about OU fans...

They can be very gracious and hospitable hosts to non conference opponents and those they believe they can (or will) beat...

They can be downright poor losers to conference opponents and those they feel threatened by. They are still new to the SEC and don't feel like we're a conference opponent yet. In time, they can (and will) get downright ugly to visiting fans of conference teams.

Think of UGA or Bama fans when they lose. That's the level Oklahoma is at.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
I will say this about OU fans...

They can be very gracious and hospitable hosts to non conference opponents and those they believe they can (or will) beat...

They can be downright poor losers to conference opponents and those they feel threatened by. They are still new to the SEC and don't feel like we're a conference opponent yet. In time, they can (and will) get downright ugly to visiting fans of conference teams.

Think of UGA or Bama fans when they lose. That's the level Oklahoma is at.
Precisely the explanation I gave my wife.

Reactions: AM64 and Grand Vol

They are a college blue blood and really haven't had a "losing" season since the 90s unless you count the 2022 season where they lost their bowl game and went 6-7. But they were still in the honeymoon phase with Venables since it was his first year and all.

I'm still not sure Venables is "the guy" to lead them into the future. I think he's in a pretty tough spot with Texas on the rise and OU joining the SEC. He very well may be one of those guys who is a disaster as a HC, but is of the best coordinators in the business.

One thing is certain, he won't stay out of a job long if OU parts ways with him.

Reactions: volfanhill and AM64
They are a college blue blood and really haven't had a "losing" season since the 90s unless you count the 2022 season where they lost their bowl game and went 6-7. But they were still in the honeymoon phase with Venables since it was his first year and all.

I'm still not sure Venables is "the guy" to lead them into the future. I think he's in a pretty tough spot with Texas on the rise and OU joining the SEC. He very well may be one of those guys who is a disaster as a HC, but is of the best coordinators in the business.

One thing is certain, he won't stay out of a job long if OU parts ways with him.
We're about to help facilitate the start of his move toward his job change. Sports agents should love Heupel.

And you'll want to part at the Lloyd-Noble Center (LNC) as the Sooner fan suggested in the FF and take the shuttle. But beware, traffic going out is pretty bad (only two lane roads coming into and off campus) regardless of where you park. But if you park at the LNC, you can jump on Highway 9 just south of the LNC and get back on 35 easily enough... relatively speaking. If you are inclined, you can also walk back to the LNC as it's a straight shot down Jenkins or Asp Ave, but it's close to a mile. Still have traffic to worry about though.

But...

If you happen to make some Vol friends at Sooner Village (the RV/camper lot on the back side of the LNC by the Tennis Complex), you can wait traffic out. The last time the Vols were in Norman, there was a pretty significant contingent of Vol fans that brought out their campers and RVs. Nice place to enjoy the after game when we win and wait out traffic. Most you can politely go up to and give them a "Go Vols" and they'll at least talk to you for a spell.

Gate 1 at the stadium is the "visitor" gate where the Vols will do the Vol Walk though it's on the opposite side of the stadium from the visitor team section (depending on where your seats are) which means you'll have to go around the entire venue to the back side.

What is your seating section? I can suggest where to quickly enter depending on where you're sitting. Despite being a visitor and them saying you have to enter Gate 1, you can enter any gate.

Be prepared for outrageous concession prices. I'd personally pregame the hell out of it at a tailgate and be selective when buying anything. Levy Concessions sucks.

Clear bag policies are strictly enforced. I'd advise against anything other than a clear bag. (and not a clear backpack or fanny pack)

Metal detectors are in use... like most places.

Bathroom lines are horrible. Especially at halftime. The concourse is packed and not easy to navigate. The south fan deck is likely your best place for refreshments and bathrooms.

The OU band will play the UT alma mater when the game concludes (or they have in the past at least). It's a nice thing they do for visiting teams since there isn't enough seating for the Pride of the Southland. It's worthy of sticking around and they do a good job.

Don't insult Toby Keith... the man is royalty out there. It would be like a Sooner fan coming into Neyland and insulting Peyton.

There's are pretty decent pregame festivities that goes on in the area north of the stadium between Gates 6 and the Field House. Live bands and whatnot (this is also where the Game Day presentation will be at)

Tailgate parties are on Lindsey, Jenkins and Brooks. It's a lively scene for sure.

And you'll want to part at the Lloyd-Noble Center (LNC) as the Sooner fan suggested in the FF and take the shuttle. But beware, traffic going out is pretty bad (only two lane roads coming into and off campus) regardless of where you park. But if you park at the LNC, you can jump on Highway 9 just south of the LNC and get back on 35 easily enough... relatively speaking. If you are inclined, you can also walk back to the LNC as it's a straight shot down Jenkins or Asp Ave, but it's close to a mile. Still have traffic to worry about though.

But...

If you happen to make some Vol friends at Sooner Village (the RV/camper lot on the back side of the LNC by the Tennis Complex), you can wait traffic out. The last time the Vols were in Norman, there was a pretty significant contingent of Vol fans that brought out their campers and RVs. Nice place to enjoy the after game when we win and wait out traffic. Most you can politely go up to and give them a "Go Vols" and they'll at least talk to you for a spell.

Gate 1 at the stadium is the "visitor" gate where the Vols will do the Vol Walk though it's on the opposite side of the stadium from the visitor team section (depending on where your seats are) which means you'll have to go around the entire venue to the back side.

What is your seating section? I can suggest where to quickly enter depending on where you're sitting. Despite being a visitor and them saying you have to enter Gate 1, you can enter any gate.

Be prepared for outrageous concession prices. I'd personally pregame the hell out of it at a tailgate and be selective when buying anything. Levy Concessions sucks.

Clear bag policies are strictly enforced. I'd advise against anything other than a clear bag. (and not a clear backpack or fanny pack)

Metal detectors are in use... like most places.

Bathroom lines are horrible. Especially at halftime. The concourse is packed and not easy to navigate. The south fan deck is likely your best place for refreshments and bathrooms.

The OU band will play the UT alma mater when the game concludes (or they have in the past at least). It's a nice thing they do for visiting teams since there isn't enough seating for the Pride of the Southland. It's worthy of sticking around and they do a good job.

Don't insult Toby Keith... the man is royalty out there. It would be like a Sooner fan coming into Neyland and insulting Peyton.

There's are pretty decent pregame festivities that goes on in the area north of the stadium between Gates 6 and the Field House. Live bands and whatnot (this is also where the Game Day presentation will be at)

Tailgate parties are on Lindsey, Jenkins and Brooks. It's a lively scene for sure.
Reading this makes me want to get to a point in my life where I can take in the gameday scenes at all other SEC schools.

Thanks

Reactions: AM64
Reading this makes me want to get to a point in my life where I can take in the gameday scenes at all other SEC schools.

Thanks

Having been in a lot of other stadiums, I will say Memorial Stadium is in dire need of an overhaul. The concourses are just not wide enough and it looks like someone at the College of Engineering barfed up parts of four stadiums and put them together. None of the sides match at all. The south end (the one most recently renovated) is the nicest area, but the rest pretty much show their age.

Finebaum has for once said something I can agree with - that TN's proposed "talent fee" added to the ticket price is "utterly disgraceful". I have no sympathy for football players or some of the other college athletes; they are coddled and pampered. Anyone who goes to college to prepare for the future has an expectation that he/she is paying for an education that will serve as the springboard to a lucrative career - you pay your dues and take your chances. Certainly not all athletes are going to turn pro and benefit richly from their college experience - being taught/coached the sport and given the spotlight to showcase talent leading to a professional career. However, many players move into coaching and related athletic endeavors and make the contacts that enhance or lead to other opportunities. ALL students pay their dues, and the cost that most students pay for tuition and room and board says that even an athletic scholarship is lucrative ... that's without considering the tutoring, meal service, etc athletes alone are provided. True, athletes don't have time to work, but at least scholarship players are now provided "cost of attendance" stipends.

NIL opened the doors to a world of abuse. It violates all that amateur sports stands for. The original sin was that player name, likeness, and image were being used in a way that benefitted people who made electronic games or sold items with the players name or image. Maybe the better solution was to forbid the use of names etc rather than saying players should be reimbursed. The reimbursement scheme cracked the door open for abuse ... almost like NIL has gone from a minor correction (defense) rapidly to a full blown offense with no sense of reality, no control, and to fully out of control abuse. Th GA governor has issued an executive order that says the NCAA has no control of NIL in the state. Others are bound to do the same which WILL further ignite the bidding war for college athletes ... not rewarding popular and proven athletes for the use of NIL, but all out bidding wars for unproven HS recruits. And NIL itself is spreading to the HS athletic world. Should we play the band? What about reimbursing unpaid students for anything that brings in money to the school?

Students are students whether in engineering, medicine, law, arts, education, or apparently sport. If we cannot decide student athletes are simply students, then it's probably time to divorce athletics at the collegiate level; and that would be a shame.

Reactions: McDad
Man I wanted a YZ so bad as a kid..screaming blue smoker..and that yellow and suspension travel 😍
Yeah I wanted a YZ too but instead had a Suzuki enduro 185. A buddy of mine still has a YZ250 and at our age it’s looking for a chance to kill you. You get on the pipe and damn near roll off the back of the bike.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Yeah I wanted a YZ too but instead had a Suzuki enduro 185. A buddy of mine still has a YZ250 and at our age it’s looking for a chance to kill you. You get on the pipe and damn near roll off the back of the bike.
Years ago I rode a KX500 2 stoke at the MX Track and it was a freaking death machine.

Years ago I rode a KX500 2 stoke at the MX Track and it was a freaking death machine.
When I was about 18 I borrowed a neighbors retired race YZ125. An honest to goodness race bike it was all pipe for power. First time I rode it I “didn’t get it”. I wouldn’t wind the rpm’s and thought something was wrong with it. Then I got frustrated and kept down shifting until I got north of 7k. Jesus Christ the acceleration came on and damn near wrecked me. I could not maintain a constant speed on the death trap it was either digging hard or slowing down.

Reactions: Orangeburst
When I was about 18 I borrowed a neighbors retired race YZ125. An honest to goodness race bike it was all pipe for power. First time I rode it I “didn’t get it”. I wouldn’t wind the rpm’s and thought something was wrong with it. Then I got frustrated and kept down shifting until I got north of 7k. Jesus Christ the acceleration came on and damn near wrecked me. I could not maintain a constant speed on the death trap it was either digging hard or slowing down.

So self inflicted damage has been a lifetime goal for you?

the power curves are like a light switch..it will catch you off guard for sure..

They’re bad enough on a retail bike. On a race pipe it was freaking crazy yes just like a light switch. I knew about 2 strokes and pipes but I’d never ridden a beast like this one it scared the hell out of me.
I had an FMF racing pipe and RAD reed valve on my RM125..a big change on it was the reed valve and you could alter the curve.I am sure a racer had other tricks up sleeve as well.

VN Store

Back