Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six string or 5 string? I lost want to do chords and a little picking.

Nothing fancy.

Anybody watching-or maybe I should say suffering through-the Big Ten championship game? They've literally been showing a guy throw turf on the field for a solid 10 minutes and have nothing to talk about but turf science hahaha 😂

watching the Clemson game, and haven't seen that..

I'm actually a turf "science" guy and I can totally relate to it not being a hot topic of conversation with many haha

Reactions: 1 person
there has been 3-4 people that has posted the same thing in the past 3 hours...sometimes these guys speak in code
almost like they are trying to keep a secret

:detective:

Man sometimes its hard for me to believe...as many have referenced it at times is just like being on a roller coaster.
Sometimes you have to have faith...it pays to keep up...

Noble Endeavor. I love shopping for guitars. Go to every guitar shop you can find and just sit there and play. Guitar Center has a great selection. Play some high end Taylors, Gibson, and Martins. Once you get a feel for the sound and playability then start pulling the lower price models off the wall. Solid top would be a must for me, but after that it's a lot of personal preference. He more you play the better you will get to learn what you like. Pay attention to the wood used on the back and side in relation to which guitars you think sound the best.

In the end guitars are really a used market. Buying a new guitar is really only a protection against a novice getting something with a defect. Old guitars sound better and are cheaper than new ones. Thus if you know what you want then don't be afraid to venture into a used guitar. Just play it first or have a return policy.

And again, enjoy the hunt. Not many purchases where you can walk in, play $30,000 worth of merchandise and walk out without spending a dime. If you feel guilty buy a pick or a set of Eliixr's.

For someone who wants to learn, hopping around from shop to shop won't cut it. While I agree a beginner needs a comparable instrument, they also need to get their hands on one. The best way to learn is to pick one up and go. If I had to spend months, in your description, to find the "fit," I'd never fool with it. It's like going to a sporting goods store with batting cages, swinging at 100 balls, making contact with one, but going home bat less. At some point, you have to come to grips with supply and demand (e.g. What am I willing to spend, and how bad do I want it?).

I like a deep and punchy sound in guitars. A lot depends on the kind of music you want to play. If you are a strummer and want to play and sing rock covers than I’d look for something that mimicks a Taylor or Gibson. In my opinion if you want to learn to pick and play country or bluegrass I’d go for something that mimnicks a Martin. My experience in cheap guitars that (to me) sound like a Martin are Alvarez and Takamine. Martin DM and Blueridge are a little more expensive but sound great for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back