'24 OK EDGE Danny Okoye (OK commit)

Tenn has sure lost out on some recruits of late.
You can replace "Tenn" with almost any other program... and that statement will still be true. When Cole chose UGA, UT "lost out". So did Miami, Penn St, USC, Bama, UF, FSU, ND, A&M, UNC, UVA, Va Tech,....

UT came in 2nd. They were more of a consideration than the rest. A program essentially resurrected from the dead over the last two years went nose to nose with the two time defending national champion...

Yep, the sky is falling.

FTR, the narrative that a particular program "leads" for a recruit is just media spin that consumers buy. Recruits are wrestling in most cases with multiple great opportunities. Some likely change their minds multiple times in a day. They might have conversations with no intention to mislead with one reporter in the morning and another in the afternoon... giving different impressions in each. They might be hot for one school for weeks or months and then have something turn them on to another.

Near the end, some reporters have found a means for being fairly accurate. Some get an early notice from the kid, his coach, or his family.

But this idea that "we led" for a particular recruit and someone must have done something wrong if he chooses someone else is just stupid. Everyone is giving their best shot. Every program will miss on more than they get. You have to cast a wide net and get the best players you can.

You can replace "Tenn" with almost any other program... and that statement will still be true. When Cole chose UGA, UT "lost out". So did Miami, Penn St, USC, Bama, UF, FSU, ND, A&M, UNC, UVA, Va Tech,....

UT came in 2nd. They were more of a consideration than the rest. A program essentially resurrected from the dead over the last two years went nose to nose with the two time defending national champion...

Yep, the sky is falling.
IN recruiting though 2nd place is the same as last place.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Not always.

You can chose to rarely lose in recruiting by mopping up on 3star & lower players or you can chose to play in the big arena. Some of these fans aren’t tough enough to handle swimming in deep water. Glad UT coaches are. Our last 3 head coaches were not and it showed on the field.

Man, I’m as annoyed as anyone by the concern trolls and people jumping off the ledge every time a recruit on our board commits elsewhere, but I’m also getting fed up with people policing everyone else’s emotions and telling us we’re not allowed to be disappointed when we miss on a recruit we had a good chance with. Just lighten up in general, people.

Let’s wait and see who we sign but fans booing like I heard some this Saturday doesn’t help.
Fans pay good money and use their time to come watch a team play, I think they can boo if the team plays like crap and doesn’t seem involved. I agree it’s not a good look and not attacking you, but many families save for games every year and the performance last Saturday left a lot to be desired.

What is unacceptable is the actions of the Bama fans screaming at TX players.

For those having some emotional break... look at the roster, the hits and misses,... then watch UT attack the portal late in the season to fill those holes.

Recruiting has changed. UT's staff seems to have recognized it early. I remember Fulmer classes rounding out with marginal players and projects. Top programs aren't going to do that any more. They'll recruit the guys they truly believe have the right talent and make up. Then they'll look for proven players out of the portal

UT did miss some guys. Many here would have been placated if they'd "filled those spots". But the staff hasn't dropped the bar just to fill a spot.

For those having some emotional break... look at the roster, the hits and misses,... then watch UT attack the portal late in the season to fill those holes.

Recruiting has changed. UT's staff seems to have recognized it early. I remember Fulmer classes rounding out with marginal players and projects. Top programs aren't going to do that any more. They'll recruit the guys they truly believe have the right talent and make up. Then they'll look for proven players out of the portal

UT did miss some guys. Many here would have been placated if they'd "filled those spots". But the staff hasn't dropped the bar just to fill a spot.
Its more like the NFL, I get it. Still yet we seem to miss out on an inordinately large amount of Blue Chip players relative to how many we land.

So??? SO???

Sooooo that means that since this DE doesn’t come, the rest of the DE’s will decommit. And since they do the rest of the defensive recruits will. Nico will transfer, Heupel will quit and Neyland will burn down!!! Then my dog will die!!! Don’t you get it??? Everyone has to panic at everything an 18 year old does. It’s just how this works!!

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
As we sit with a class made up of 70% "blue chip players"...good for, if I'm not mistaken, 6th in the country.
swing and amish.

you make a compelling point. But, had we gotten the Dlinemen we coveted, itd been a top 5 class.

Its more like the NFL, I get it. Still yet we seem to miss out on an inordinately large amount of Blue Chip players relative to how many we land.
Everyone misses on a lot and get few. Everyone is fighting to find and sign the best guys.

Fans pay good money and use their time to come watch a team play, I think they can boo if the team plays like crap and doesn’t seem involved. I agree it’s not a good look and not attacking you, but many families save for games every year and the performance last Saturday left a lot to be desired.

I understand and was not happy with what seemed they were not ready to play and if you are there then you have spent some funds. But, the booing of our guys isn’t going to ever be a positive. I’ve booed them before from home. I think they were trying and they have worked hard and put our program back into national discussions. The booing at this point seems like a child pitching a fit for not getting what he wants. If that effort persist and we go 5-7 then I’ll join in with the booing. We still won and didn’t do a Ga State so all is well in the world overall. Not the time to boo. Just my opinion and I understand the frustration especially if it’s the one time you saved to go.

With ticket prices being $350 a piece to play unranked South Carolina I most certainly agree.

No it isn't. It is a confirmation. It gets you noticed by other top recruits. It creates media buzz and credibility. It may help you if that player or even another hits the portal. It works as validation of what you are doing and especially in case like this one where a program like UT goes to the finish line with a program like UGA.

You don't get the player but it is better than being a program that really wasn't in serious contention.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I understand and was not happy with what seemed they were not ready to play and if you are there then you have spent some funds. But, the booing of our guys isn’t going to ever be a positive. I’ve booed them before from home. I think they were trying and they have worked hard and put our program back into national discussions. The booing at this point seems like a child pitching a fit for not getting what he wants. If that effort persist and we go 5-7 then I’ll join in with the booing. We still won and didn’t do a Ga State so all is well in the world overall. Not the time to boo. Just my opinion and I understand the frustration especially if it’s the one time you saved to go.
Booing was stupid and pissed me off.

True...but, still a loooong way from "inordinately large amount".
perhaps inordinate was strong. but we have swung and amish on a lot of top prospects.

another thing to consider is that the cycle isn't over. now granted that argument cuts both ways. tennessee routinely has a top recruiting budget, top flight nil, faculties etc. all things considered we should be top 1-4 jn the sec.

I def think having the best def line coach, and one of the best DL recruiters in history of the SEC we should be gangbusters in that area.

I agree. I wouldn’t boo our players ever in Neyland. But everyone is different. I just cuss from my couch lol. And drunk rant in the game thread…

Disagree. Let’s say we finish second to OU for Okoye. Now that means he had real legit interest in TN. Enough so that it almost made him commit to us. That also means if the staff continues to recruit him hard, there is a chance to flip him.

However if we were to finish last behind 4-5 other teams, then the narrative is different. You could say he didn’t have much real interest and even if we continued to push hard for him the chances of a flip are basically none. So the saying if you’re not first you are last just doesn’t hold true.

VN Store

Back