Oregon game - Who's coming to the game?

Also, is the Amtrak Cascades train a good way to get down there from Seattle or is it just more trouble than it's worth? Thought it might be kind of fun to not worry about driving.

I've heard train travel can be hazardous to your health as of late.

Booked for Portland flights Wednesday thru Sunday. Thinking of either booking a hotel in Eugene or taking a limo down and back from wine country since there aren't many decent rooms left. Anyone with any advice or thoughts on that? Can't miss wineries in Willamette Valley? We will probably skip the coast stuff and just do wineries unless there is something we are missing.

Booked for Portland flights Wednesday thru Sunday. Thinking of either booking a hotel in Eugene or taking a limo down and back from wine country since there aren't many decent rooms left. Anyone with any advice or thoughts on that? Can't miss wineries in Willamette Valley? We will probably skip the coast stuff and just do wineries unless there is something we are missing.

For a higher end wine country hotel, check out the Allison Hotel in Newberg. A former client built it, sadly she recently passed away. Very wonderful woman. Lots of good wineries in the Newberg and Dundee areas. Also, Willamette Vineyard is right next to I-5 just south of Salem. King Estates is just west of Eugene.

Any particular wineries you're interested in? Portland has some great restaurants. If you're looking for more sophisticated hotels and restaurants, Portland is your place. Some place downtown, in the Pearl District or NW would put you near plenty of good restaurants. Plus, if you're interested in books at all you'll need to stop by Powell's Bookstore. It's either the largest in the country or the second largest.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not me, but I love flying out when we play west coast teams and like half the plane is wearing orange, though recently the return trip seems like no one is haha. I am thinking about going to UVA Oregon game the week before though to get a preview

Any particular wineries you're interested in? Portland has some great restaurants. If you're looking for more sophisticated hotels and restaurants, Portland is your place. Some place downtown, in the Pearl District or NW would put you near plenty of good restaurants. Plus, if you're interested in books at all you'll need to stop by Powell's Bookstore. It's either the largest in the country or the second largest.

Come on no beer push? Portland is the historical microbrewery capitol of the US. I went to many great breweries when I was there, and I highly recommend Cascade Brewing Barrel House for their sour beers and Lucky Labrador Beer Hall for their IPAs, though there any many more great breweries for IPAs, while the sours at Cascade are really unique and extremely hard to do well (which they do). The McMenamin locations are nice too. Also, wear your orange and be polite, this isnt Tuscaloosa

Come on no beer push? Portland is the historical microbrewery capitol of the US. I went to many great breweries when I was there, and I highly recommend Cascade Brewing Barrel House for their sour beers and Lucky Labrador Beer Hall for their IPAs, though there any many more great breweries for IPAs, while the sours at Cascade are really unique and extremely hard to do well (which they do). The McMenamin locations are nice too. Also, wear your orange and be polite, this isnt Tuscaloosa

Yea, plenty of great mircobrew in Oregon. Admittedly, I'm not a big beer drinker, usually drink beer when I'm white water rafting or fishing, other than that, I very rarely drink beer. Lots as a matter of fact. To give you an example, I live in a very rural area in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, we've got about 4000 people spread over a bout 10 square miles............. AND yes, we have a very good local micro brewery..

my buddy is a big uva fan and will be attending that game the week prior then flying out to meet me in south lake tahoe and were driving up

The drive up from Tahoe is beautiful, up to Susanville and cut across to Shasta, great drive.

Yea, plenty of great mircobrew in Oregon. Admittedly, I'm not a big beer drinker, usually drink beer when I'm white water rafting or fishing, other than that, I very rarely drink beer. Lots as a matter of fact. To give you an example, I live in a very rural area in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, we've got about 4000 people spread over a bout 10 square miles............. AND yes, we have a very good local micro brewery..

Why do I move back to the South again?! :unsure:

my buddy is a big uva fan and will be attending that game the week prior then flying out to meet me in south lake tahoe and were driving up

They have a beautiful campus and a nice stadium. Students walk in for free and sit on the grass behind one of the endzones. Its a nice change of pace from Neyland, as the stadium, the campus, and the city revolve about Southern nostalgia. Some pretty good BBQ in Charlottesville as well (Ace's BBQ if you can make it but they have strange hours, Belmont BBQ is good as well). Anyway, I hope you and your company enjoy the game.

Why do I move back to the South again?! :unsure:

LOL. Yea if you like the outdoors, there's tons to do up here. One of the local guide just dropped by to tell me fishing is going to be really good the next couple days and wants to know if I want to go fishing with him. I loaned him my raft for the day, he was taking a bunch of people down the river today.

We've got two herds of Elk in the area, a few cougar that mostly stay outside of town. A friend spotted one when she was out hiking last week. Sort of unusual to see them in the day light. Of course we've got plenty of black bear, deer and fox in the area. There's a bald eagle nest some where close as I see them flying over my place fairly often.

Local area is promoting mountain biking a lot these days, so we're getting a good number of them coming up.

Then we've got a small nine hole golf course that's challenging fun and cheap to play. Costs me $45 a month for unlimited golf.

LOL. Yea if you like the outdoors, there's tons to do up here. One of the local guide just dropped by to tell me fishing is going to be really good the next couple days and wants to know if I want to go fishing with him. I loaned him my raft for the day, he was taking a bunch of people down the river today.

We've got two herds of Elk in the area, a few cougar that mostly stay outside of town. A friend spotted one when she was out hiking last week. Sort of unusual to see them in the day light. Of course we've got plenty of black bear, deer and fox in the area. There's a bald eagle nest some where close as I see them flying over my place fairly often.

Local area is promoting mountain biking a lot these days, so we're getting a good number of them coming up.

Then we've got a small nine hole golf course that's challenging fun and cheap to play. Costs me $45 a month for unlimited golf.

Yes, I imagine Ill end up back in the northwest before too long. I kind of feel like its a climate variation on what the South would be like without many of the things I tend to despise. I imagine not many Southerns would visit and want to rush home too quickly.

Yes, I imagine Ill end up back in the northwest before too long. I kind of feel like its a climate variation on what the South would be like without many of the things I tend to despise. I imagine not many Southerns would visit and want to rush home too quickly.

I'm at a 1000 feet elevation, so we're above the valley fog and below the snow line. Hence we get more sun than those living in PDX and Eugene. We get about two weeks of freezing weather and a little snow most winters.

Of course the winters are still pretty wet and grey. That's the one real turn off to living in the NW. In my case, being retired, we tend to take off for sunny locations in the winter, Maui is a direct flight and only about 5 hours from PDX. This year, we've rented a place in San Diego for a month. Lots of family in the area and the weather is decent.

My friend who works here in Florida during the summer is a Oregon student, so I'm flying up for the weekend and staying with her. Best believe I'll wear orange in the UO student section.

My friend who works here in Florida during the summer is a Oregon student, so I'm flying up for the weekend and staying with her. Best believe I'll wear orange in the UO student section.

LOL, I've never seen a fan from an opposing school get into the "student" section before. You sure she can get you in? Don't be surprised if they check your "student" ID if you're wearing orange........

Might get you in the stadium ok....... but the student section, I just don't know if that will happen.

For a higher end wine country hotel, check out the Allison Hotel in Newberg. A former client built it, sadly she recently passed away. Very wonderful woman. Lots of good wineries in the Newberg and Dundee areas. Also, Willamette Vineyard is right next to I-5 just south of Salem. King Estates is just west of Eugene.

Thanks for the info. We aren't looking for anything in particular, but wineries that are more high end and intimate as opposed to the mass production ones we usually avoid when we go to Napa. Not sure if there are even any like that out there.

Thanks for the info. We aren't looking for anything in particular, but wineries that are more high end and intimate as opposed to the mass production ones we usually avoid when we go to Napa. Not sure if there are even any like that out there.

Here are a couple links for you, first the Yamhill/Carlton area SW of Portland and second Southern Willamette Valley (closer to Eugene). Plenty of small wineries with very good wines.

https://yamhillcarlton.org/wineries-vineyards
South Willamette Valley Wineries | Oregon Pinot Noir | Wineries of Lane County | Barrel Tour Tickets | Join SWWA

I just called UT ticket office and they said that they wont be releasing any Oregon tickets to the general public for sale...does anyone have any word on this

Yes that is right, all the tickets went to school officials, parents of football players and season ticket holders due to stadium is small and we were only allotted about 5,000 tickets if I remember right.

Call the Oregon ticket office. I was told tickets will be released July 18, sometime during the evening. I've forgotten the exact time.

Phone number: (541) 346-4461

Breakfast:
Glenwood Cafe (13th and Alder, near campus)

Dinner:
Marche 296 E. 5th
Belly, 291 E 5th
Beppe & Gianni's 1646 E 19th

Saturday Mornings try the food booths at the Saturday Market.

For recreation, the coast and sand dunes are about an hour west of Eugene. The coast is rugged with mountains coming right down to the water, the sand dunes are a great place for people who like 4 wheeling. McKenzie River for rafting trips and fly fishing. Mountain biking is pretty big in the area as well. Pretty much anything you like outdoors is available. The mountains are much larger than you see east of the Rockies.

So lots to see and do. Of course if you're a die hard golfer, Bandon Dunes is about a 4/5 hour drive from Eugene. Perhaps the best coastal courses in the country that the public can play

First, I'd like to say thanks to GoDucks for all his great info. We are all booked and fired up, despite the anticipated outcome of the game.

We're making the drive down to Bandon Dunes for a couple of days before the game. If you're an avid golfer and you don't include Bandon on your itinerary for this trip, you are making a large mistake.

First, I'd like to say thanks to GoDucks for all his great info. We are all booked and fired up, despite the anticipated outcome of the game.

We're making the drive down to Bandon Dunes for a couple of days before the game. If you're an avid golfer and you don't include Bandon on your itinerary for this trip, you are making a large mistake.

Thanks for the kind words. I traveled this country on business for over 30 years and everywhere I went people treated me well, including Knoxville (Univ of Tenn is a former client). So it's natural to want to return the favor when people visit my part of the country.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back