Oscar Ratings Crash

I thought that Nomadland was pretty good, and I'm by no means someone who tends to enjoy most Best Picture nominees/a person who's in the Academy Awards' target audience, but I suspect that the particularly weak field this year (due to COVID-19, presumably) had a lot to do with the abysmal viewership.

Did you really? I thought Nomadland was depressing as he!!. I just tried to watch Pieces of a Woman and ugh, I turned it off, depressing. Where’s a good Blockbuster action flick when ya need one?😝

The fall of the Oscars is the quintessential we let the thugs in the nice nightclub analogy. Soon no one is interested including the thugs.

Hollywood has allowed woke to openly get out to the public in such a way that now their audience is taking a knee. Even their liberal base has abandoned being an income stream. Someone is going to feel it in their pockets.

I usually watch the Oscars on delay and speed thru 75% of it. Wasn't into it at all this year because of the thin movie landscape and then I tuned in and the format was terrible and I quickly tuned out.

Hollywood elites have been insufferably political for as long as I can remember, so why the stark ratings decline in recent years? It's gotta be mostly due to other factors.

I usually watch the Oscars on delay and speed thru 75% of it. Wasn't into it at all this year because of the thin movie landscape and then I tuned in and the format was terrible and I quickly tuned out.

Hollywood elites have been insufferably political for as long as I can remember, so why the stark ratings decline in recent years? It's gotta be mostly due to other factors.

The awards have become little more than a vehicle to advertise films 90% of the audience would't have heard of otherwise. That's not to dismiss quality indy films. But there was a day and time when the Oscars awarded movies that people actually saw, movies that became classics. Now it's based solely on the content of the film and not the quality.

Reactions: 05_never_again

Yep it has to be something else other than the political crap they spew from their sanctimonious asses.

The awards have become little more than a vehicle to advertise films 90% of the audience would't have heard of otherwise. That's not to dismiss quality indy films. But there was a day and time when the Oscars awarded movies that people actually saw, movies that became classics. Now it's based solely on the content of the film and not the quality.

What movies did you want to see up for best picture that weren't?

I thought that Nomadland was pretty good, and I'm by no means someone who tends to enjoy most Best Picture nominees/a person who's in the Academy Awards' target audience, but I suspect that the particularly weak field this year (due to COVID-19, presumably) had a lot to do with the abysmal viewership.

I found Nomadland to be a resonating film about dealing with loss and living on no one's terms but your own . I can see why it doesn't have a wide appeal but I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
If Hollywood would quit sniffing their own farts with these depressing artsy horse sh*t movies, maybe more people would tune in. Is it a rule that to win best picture, a film must be boring and depressing?
I finally got around to watching the 2017 Best Picture winner The Shape of Water a week or so ago and it was alright as a somewhat modern telling of The Creature from the Black Lagoon however there is no way it should have won Best Picture over Dunkirk.

This is true. Marlon Brando famously refused to accept his Academy Award for Best Actor in 1973 for his role as Vito Corleone in "The Godfather", as a protest of Hollywood's unrealistic portrayal of Native Americans in movies. He even sent an actual Native American actress named Sacheen Littlefeather in his place, who went to the podium after he had been announced as the winner, and she explained that "Mr. Brando has chosen to respectfully decline this award."

The term "woke" might be a relatively new way to describe the culture, but it has been alive and well at the Academy Awards for over 50 years. Ratings are down in recent years because most people are like me and they haven't even heard of most of these movies that are nominated for awards.

The ghettofying of America as we knew it continues

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back